General Chat

Eborne1

1 hour ago, Eborne1 said:

For me, it's all about mechanical and thematic balance.  There are lots of guns, but which ones are iconic and a good representative of a group? and not going to break the game?      

I'm not allowing semi-auto shotties or full-autos at the start.  And technically a person could wield two full-auto SCARs at the same time, but it's quite impractical and two sawed-off double barrel shotties (while possible) is probably a bit impractical too... especially if they're reloading all four barrels as swift or immediate actions too... yikes.

I may expand into "modern firearms", (full-autos etc...) later on in the game.  So there's room and time to make some adjustments.         

I don't have any issues with current affairs, I simply wanted to answer to BBK and partly to The Foiler about one-handed shotguns. They were an already thing for a long time and they will continue to improve. Their main RL downside was and still is weight, generally being too cumbersome for large-scale use. But we play with +6 Str and +4 Con. I do believe that alone plays a large role. It might be cumbersome some 100 years away, but they were still used then, rarely but did. With our obvious physical superiority, we'd be at an immeasurable advantage.

I'm of the firm belief that,  while they should not be classified as light (regardless of weight) my character with his 16 Str would be able to use one to good effect if we still place Str of NPC at 10. Then questions about their usage if one-hand use is allowed. It seems to me that there might be a line of thinking where that is a step too far like they might be somehow OP. And true, 2 people ambushing dozen of people and emptying two double barrels each before going in with knives and axes are powerful images, yet I'd lay part of the blame to the feet of ambushed too. How did they allow that to happen? Frankly, I'll always put my money at well-positioned man with a bolt rifle and pistol/revolver as a backup against 5 people dual wielding sawed off. Wielded one or two-handed, sawed-off is a hit-and-run weapon, clearing rooms weapon, and area denial weapon. When I suggested a one-handed version, I simply was thinking about specialized builds like mine to have a scatter weapon. I frankly had no idea it would spark a debate.

Would my character use it yes, but in the same way he'd use a scoped long-barrel revolver, or Lazer finder on a pistol? As a specialized tool for specialized jobs. 90% of the time he'd use a heavy trusty revolver in the right. So he can be sure if the enemy rides in on a Grizzly we're eating a bear that night, paired with decent iron-sighted semiautomatic to lay a covering fire if there is a charge coming after that bear so more people can get in. I'm not wasting time waiting for a frontline to come to 15 ft before starting shooting. What backward thinking is that? On ambushes sure. Hit and runs maybe. Last stands, when all other ammo is gone. Having it as a primary even as the Pistolero? Gestalt would have to be Ninja with a rabbit foot up his ass. This is my last piece on them, use them don't use them, I'm done debating about it.

I will not expand on other stuff except to say that I'm against of wholesale adaptation of "Modern Weapons". Partially? Possibly. That all from me and last time I discuss shotguns unless I'm accepted in the game and it's sorta inescapable.

Ok Folks...  I think I've got the HOMEBREW GUNS list more or less polished up. 

I've modified the damage on several guns and added a couple of gun options, so be aware of that and make proper adjustments to your sheets if needed.  

The "EXTRA SHOT" ability of Semi-autos is on all Standard Actions.

The Double Shotty is akin to a One-Handed Melee weapon... Therefore, can be used in conjunction with pistols, but not dual-wielded without the accordant penalty.

Also:  Different guns have different ammo types, so be sure you're well-stocked with your needed calibers. 

(Questions and comments are welcome)

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

A QUESTION FOR THE APPLICANTS: I homebrewed a "Stopping Power" quality for Slugs. 

What's better?

Having slugs apply a Bullrush equal to the Attack Roll, where failure to save by 5 or more knocks opponent backwards 5 additional feet and renders them prone?

OR

When AC is beaten by 5 or more, slugs render an opponent prone in their own space?    

4 minutes ago, Eborne1 said:

A QUESTION FOR THE APPLICANTS: I homebrewed a "Stopping Power" quality for Slugs. 

What's better?

Having slugs apply a Bullrush equal to the Attack Roll, where failure to save by 5 or more knocks opponent backwards 5 additional feet and renders them prone?

OR

When AC is beaten by 5 or more, slugs render an opponent prone in their own space?    

Either way, I would suggest having that only apply if the target is within 50% of the first range increment. I don't think it would be 100% believable if it was something happening at the end of the 'accurate range' of the firearm.

That, or maybe make it an automatic 'happens on a crit' effect? The extra damage a crit entails would be an excellent explanation for the effect. 

What bullets can knock people 5ft backwards? A bull rush could potentially knock someone back more than 5ft, even. How would someone fire such a weapon?

And if a Large creature, such as a bear or, like, a dragon, is charging towards you, you will just kill all their momentum? (Presumably you have to ready an action to shoot as they approach?)

Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, TheFred said:

What bullets can knock people 5ft backwards? A bull rush could potentially knock someone back more than 5ft, even. How would someone fire such a weapon?

A 12ga. slug can definitely push someone back 5ft. Edit: We'll call it a backwards stagger.   

And it's fantasy... 

33 minutes ago, TheFred said:

And if a Large creature, such as a bear or, like, a dragon, is charging towards you, you will just kill all their momentum? (Presumably you have to ready an action to shoot as they approach?)

That one's fair.  I'll either change it to "disrupts the charge action..." as opposed to "stops in tracks" or restrict it to equal-sized creatures.  Edit: For reference, one 12-gauge round is enough to kill a bear.

and it's fantasy...

Any opinion on the use of "Daring Act & Dares" optional rules for regaining grit? Personally, I find Dares an interesting way of giving those without grit something to do while they are collecting points at the same time. Daring Acts would be maybe even better but it does have the potential of placing undue stress on GM.

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, Grudge said:

Any opinion on the use of "Daring Act & Dares" optional rules for regaining grit? Personally, I find Dares an interesting way of giving those without grit something to do while they are collecting points at the same time. Daring Acts would be maybe even better but it does have the potential of placing undue stress on GM.

Yes.  I'll allow both. 

Short notification. Character is done I think. All fluff completed, major and all minor items bought (that I could remember at least), Mechanics done, Stat breakdown done. 1st post fluff, Pic, Link to sheet, Stat breakdown. 2nd post Mechanic with the explanation of abilities, feats, traits, Trained Skill table, and equipment. A pair of add-ons: 1) Items from Gunslingers Kit are on the sheet 2) Doubles from the kit sold for 1/2 the price per practice (10 gold is 10 gold  🤑 ) That's all. Good luck all.

I've added additions to the HOMEBREW page. 

Prices for Ammo and Extra Clips/Magazines

- Can't move action load a whole magazine with loose ammo... Gotta have those clips/magazines ready.  

Sorry to folks who will need to edit their shopping list.  

I like it as a critical effect - depending on the gun, you can describe it as hitting he body in just the right way for the effect to make sense. Sure a crit with a shotgun at close range will knock a Medium and possible Large creature back and/or down - the classic 'full load to the chest' - but a handgun or rifle could hit a body part a certain way, etc.

As we're already 3rd level, will magic equipment become a thing? If so, then we can get a lot more leeway to do silly stuff with guns

36 minutes ago, The Foiler said:

As we're already 3rd level, will magic equipment become a thing?

All core magical equipment is on the table. 

No silly stuff allowed... only the very serious stuff.