Out of Character thread

Vladim

I need a little bit of a mental picture of where Dahr-Ol and Barin are in relation to the orcs and our archers so I can make decisions.

Can Dahr-Ol rise and be on top of the orcs in the same turn right now? Will that have him running in front of our archers?

I don't want to be caught out in the open charging a group of archers. Nor do I want to be blocking the orcs from our archers.

If I had to wait a moment or two for the orcs to close up to where the dead orc is, I'm willing to hide that long.

The One Ring doesn't do tactical positioning like that so:

• Any PCs wading into melee won't be blocking allied archers or opening volleys.
  • Because you rolled successfully for an ambush, the enemies will be denied opening volleys of their own, so even if the orcs have archers, you'll be able to get into melee and attack within the first round.

After the opening volleys part (that is to say, in round 1), if there are enemy archers they can target you, but you'll be in melee already.

Narratively, you can assume that opening volleys from the company can take advantage of the mists; after that, so will closing into melee.

Does that help?

1 hour ago, thesloth said:

Six successes total is a lot. I'm willing to hit them from the rear, but if Barin wants to try the sprint-drag-carry event I'm willing.

3 actually. Shared between the two of you. Six would be a bit harsh/impossible to achieve.

It's up to you guys. If you attack, the enemies won't get an opening volley, which seems the only benefit of ambushing in this system (that and rolling Battle for combat advantages, which we have already done).

6 minutes ago, Modest_Proposal said:

I don't have enough TOR experience to know dangerous this fight is.

OOCly? Probably not too much, although the dice can sometimes decide to screw the PCs over. Avoiding fights is generally wiser, but in this case it may mean leaving the wounded man behind (potentially), which is a bit bad... from a moral standpoint.

ICly? It really depends on what your PCs' backgrounds and experiences are!

Usually, in TOR it's the giant mobs of mooks that can become very dangerous... eventually even the strongest heroes can get unlucky. But in this fight, the odds are not too bad. You'll probably lose some 'resources' though, like endurance, which may impact you at some point.