It's a Dry Heat

Eborne1

GM

Noon...

It's been a hot summer.

The temperature is 107 F outside and rising. You and a small group of other Corrupted have taken up refuge in a house, less than a mile from the Downtown area. Some of you have been holed up there for days, awaiting the arrival of the others. Each of you was beckoned from near or far by a "calling" of some kind. You hear it clearly but do not quite know what it is.

Since it began, just a few months before, you have felt connected to one another, even over great distances. You see one another in your dreams. You've been urged and prompted by this calling... to travel to this place... to come together at this time.

It's quiet...TucsonHouse.jpg.68c2507875bc83c1806191b34d13a816.jpg

Your voices and footsteps carry in the old house.

A damp sheet hangs in the back entryway to usher in a cooler breeze and all the windows that are not boarded-over are cracked open as far as you dare, despite the sweat that hangs on your face and marks your clothing.

None of you has seen any PURE patrols pass near the house for several hours. Tucson is widely spread out and there's a lot of ground for them to cover. But this close to the city is never wholly safe.

Despite having been aware of one another for some time, you are only just truly getting to know one another. None of you is entirely sure why you've come or what is expected of you. All you know is the calling. For now, you wait with cautious vigilance to see what happens next.

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)

Dan
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/8d/0e/e6/8d0ee63cef179103b6f148b8aff73d63.jpg

ONE IN THE BREACH

An old scarred man is sitting on the floor, from time to time peaking through the window, and has an array of weapons in front of him with him cleaning the arsenal, currently at the sawed-off going through both barrels and having prepared smaller tools and oil to fine tune mechanism. At the far end is a weapon in a plastic bag, obviously antique, and seemingly more emotionally important than functionally important. For sure his .357 customized for more massive bullets and true double action is a century ahead...because it is. Old Colt SAA was lovingly restored every time it seemed it was almost minutely damaged. Even Dan hasn't used it for a year, he even still had 17 bullets for it.

Metal protruding from his arm, neck, and head was also regularly cleaned, mostly because of heat. Dan was only in his pants and boots, so sweat freely run down, and salt, water, minerals, and whatever else was in the sweat. Could damage even the stainless steel he had near his shoulder and neck, let alone the aluminum he had lower. While he was...relatively, polite with other members of the party, but hardly one to start a conversation unless strategy was in the mind.

v3EC3XI.png.570c0edaabe9153dcb3df50f58653958.pngJanet the Witch Mysterious Stranger 3 / Witch 1

AC: 14 CMD: 18 HP: 36/36

Fort: +5
Ref: +6
Will: +3

Janet may look like she is from hell, and has done little to dissuade the accusations of such from both PURE or any other judgmental assholes she's met in her day, but she still feels the heat. She lies on her back on a ruined couch, her feet hung over the arm, booted feet dangling against the side as she fans her face, shirt pulled up to expose as much flesh as she was willing with these people she didn't know all that well. Even if they'd been...dreaming about each other or whatever. Her pistol was always close at hand, resting within easy reach on the remains of a coffee table. As much as the heat may be getting to them, her familiar, Sir Slithers, was absolutely loving it. He basked in a spot where the sun crept through a crack in the boarded up windows.

She gives the snake a *pst* then glances over at him, speaking quietly in her hoarse, slightly nasally voice. "You know you could be keeping an eye out for any patrols, no one is gonna notice a snake in the grass." If one could interpret a look from a snake, it would be the serpentine equivalent of an eye-roll.

Dan leaves the oiled rag wrapped around the stick he used for the barrels and takes, near new equipment for maintaining mechanical parts. Actually, the old man had an unusually large amount of valuable items in the apocalypse. Besides his weapons and ammo, hidden in the shed was a nearly brand-new quad motorcycle albeit defunct now. And a bunch of ammo for the weapons he did not own but meticulously transferred powder into new shells and revolver ammo whenever he had the chance. He did not offer an explanation for such bounty, but as long as he was willing to share at least ammo, it was doubtful anyone cared.

His raspy voice, destroyed by decades of biker life sounded off without looking at either snake or Janet sounded of "This is a snake country. If you're lucky you might end up in one of those orgy thingies you snake like so much. No doubt they are eager to repopulate as anyone else."

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

spacer.pngOlivia

Olivia comes down the stairs, her golden vestigial wings tightly bound behind her, Her angelic look not sparing her from being Hunted or Hated by People and PURE. Dressed in short shorts and a loose fitting tank top, and still sweating slightly, her solid gold eyes betray little or even where she is actually looking as she scans the room, a well cared for revolver and scimitar on her hip and a hunting rifle slung over her shoulder, her knapsack full of ammo, and dried herbs nearby, her bare feet stepping carefully down the stairs So, My fellow survivors, Nobody got injured too badly on the way here I hope, Strange that we were called is such a compelling way. She says, smiling in a friendly way.

Edited by Lunermist (see edit history)

Biker looks at the winged woman pausing his maintenance for a second to briefly compare her to the near devil-looking one on the couch before answering and returning to his work. "Someone was hurt, but not me. Also, I thought this feeling in me was homesickness, from here I can see a skyscraper that was just a block from my clubhouse. But more of us show up...I think "compelled" is better than "called" I had no intention of returning back here ever."

spacer.pngOlivia

Olivia nods, Quite so, Hopefully any others who are going to show don't attract those damned PUREsts, so much of the world dies and they still think killing is an optimal plan She says, sitting on the back of a dilapidated couch. I do think its interesting that only those 'touched' are being compelled to come here, I'm Olivia by the way, I was a paramedic before all this. She adds pausing for a second I do think it might be ideal to share a small bit of information about ourselves, as it is likely what ever is orchestrating the siren's call will want us to be friendly with each other.

Dan raises the empty sawed-off cocks it and presses one trigger after another, apparently satisfied with the smoothness of action he moves it to the side and takes the revolver next. The way he handles weapons. Nearly automatically even without looking on occasion says about years, maybe decades his age taken in context, of using them.

"Name is Dan, former leader of one of the largest 1% gangs in the country, by luck home chapter was here, Tuscon. No idea what happened to any of them. Tried to get my life in order, went straight, moved to God damn Utah to run away from it all." Subconsciously he traces a large scar on his abdomen. "Had a year of peace and quiet working as the farmhand for a sweet old couple, big believers in second chances and all that." He again peaks through the window

"Then all of this happened. I was cleaning my bike, everything went yellow and the bike reached out to me. It was like I was on acid again, surreal...I reached back, then I blacked out...or died I don't know. When I came to I was like this, one with the bike" He knocks on aluminum "Part of it at least. The couple that took me in must've thought it was Judgement Day or something, found them in the living room." He looks at the sealed antique revolver "Shot themself with one bullet. Buried them in the back garden, took a gun, and hit the road again. Pure did stuff to me, and I did stuff to them back. Suddenly It was the same as I was in the gang again, just colors changed, violence, violence stayed the same."

It was apparent he did not have any compulsion about sharing, but more out of fatalism than anything else, he tried to "be normal" it wasn't in the cards. If this was a trap it was not the first one he walks into, he had his guns and not a hell of a lot to live for. If this was a form of his new gang he was fine with that too.

spacer.pngOlivia

Olivia nods, Pleasure to meet you Dan, And what about you? She asks the young lady sitting with her feet up, as she closes her eyes to focus on listening for movements and stuff while she waits for an answer, her finger tapping the hilt of her blade with a nervous tic.

Edited by Lunermist (see edit history)

Dan tries to remember was anyone is ever truly glad and draws a blank, but, as they say, there is a first time to everything "Likewise." not out of any specific wish to be a jerk but he peaked through the window again and something drew his attention. As a native, 8 years estranged, but still native. 30 years of experience doesn't just vanish because you discovered a love for the writings of Sisters Brontë while in solitary and you spent a year behind a plow in Utah. He was aware of the tricks the sun can play on one's mind.

He was also aware not everything is trick by the sun, some things might be more companions, or Pure asswipes coming to weck their party, or something in between. Mechanically he draws closer bandolier with shotgun shells drawing one Slug and one Dragon Breath and loading them without looking. Leaving Shotgun uncocked but also releasing the safety he places it in its holster behind his right shoulder He then slung bandolier over him dragging Revolver one closer and picking up 3 normal and 3 Dragon Breath bullets loading the first 2 normal ones 2 Dragon Brath cartridges,1 normal, 1 Dragon breath he repeats identical thing to Shotgun, uncocked, safety off, reholstered, then placing that bandolier diagonally to first one. 9 mil he didn't get to cleaning today but considering he cleaned them daily he figured the possibility of failing was minuscule he quickly checked does mechanism slides smoothly enough before loading one magazine here he actually placed one in the chamber but left the safety on before placing pistol in the holster attached to his belt in the back he grabs two more magazines and shoves them in the pocket not having a shirt or anything else. He finished by holstering his enormous Bowie on the opposite side from the Revolver

"Since the snake decided to be lazybones I'm going for a round, I think I saw movement from the West, accent on I think. If it's one of us it will hit Pure Sniper Alley within an hour, if it's Pure they will hit me within an hour. Win-win. I plan to stay out of town and take that dried-up riverbed until that bend on the road hidden from Pure. If they are one of us I'll try to wave a white pistol handle or something, if they are Pure empty Revolver in them and if they are survivors lead them further down the riverbed for 4-5 miles. There was a dead drop we used for weapons running, if it still works hide low until the heat dies down then return here."

Name
Perception (trying to see does he see someone coming or su is messing with him
1d20+8 7

v3EC3XI.png.570c0edaabe9153dcb3df50f58653958.pngJanet the Witch Mysterious Stranger 3 / Witch 1

AC: 14 CMD: 18 HP: 36/36

Fort: +5
Ref: +6
Will: +3

The snake briefly raises its head, looking towards the metal man, his tongue licking the air for a moment before lying back down again. Janet rolls her eyes and chuckles a little. "Don't give him any ideas. Or we won't see him for a week." The horned woman turns her head when she hears the footfalls coming down the steps. She grunts, lifting herself up to lean on one elbow.

"Yeah, as if things weren't weird enough already, to get summoned by dreams." She scowls at the mention of PURE. "Eh, those types have always been around. They just take advantage of an already shitty situation to try to force their worldview on everyone else." She listens as the others introduce themselves and the man gives a brief summary of his life. She lies her head back down on the couch, looking up at the ceiling with an arm behind her head.

"Name's Janet. My life wasn't so exciting, just a student. I didn't uh, merge with anything. You can't like, turn into a bike or anything, can you? That'd be pretty handy." She laughs, glancing over at Dan, only half joking. The world had been pretty weird the last couple years, she'd learned to expect the unexpected. "Anyways, little sleepy over there started talking to me after I ended up like...this. Taught me to do magic."

She finally pulls herself up all the way, turning to sit on the couch "Wait, you're going out there? That seems risky."

spacer.pngOlivia

Need to establish a perimeter, keep an eye out for patrols, and anyone else who may be wandering near. Olivia says, stepping down from the couch, I'll come with, Dan, despite my golden looks I do know how to lay low. She nods to Janet You and the little one want to come along? or start tidying up this place? there's no telling how long we'll need to be here. She says, checking her revolver, the six red caps confirming the dragonfire ammo, as she shoulders her rifle as well.

spacer.pngBhagat Garibaldi | AC 19 | CMB +7 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 38/38 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |
Init: +5 | Fort: +6 | Ref: +7 | Will: +5 | Grit: 3/3 | Luck: 7/7

Bhagat stops with his hand in the air, about to knock at the decaying door of the house but hesitating as he hears the vague murmur of voices inside. He frowns, his hair moving with a breeze that wasn't there, and pulls off his glasses, rubbing his glimmering white eyes. He takes a breath, exhaling with some embellishment.

"So weird. Ok," he mumbles to himself, flicking at the handle of his gun with the thumb of his free hand.

He knocks.

Tools of the Trade

Spells:

Cantrips: Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Message, Spark, Summon Instrument

L1: 2/2 - Grease, Feather Fall

MW Revolver +8 (x4) | T. Machete +7 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2) | MW Bolt-Action Rifle +8 (2d8, 19-20/x4)

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

OOC:

Biker opens his mouth to answer but the knock cuts him off. He shoots the look to both of his companions and draws the pistol; since removing safety was all it needed to make it lethal and if they did not have damn Spider-Man outside it would remain undetected, he does that before rolling to the relative cover the wall that separated two areas provided even while they were missing the door/screen, kinda good thing at the moment He peaks out just a right eye and extended pistol hand aiming not at the door but the right of them. If it was the enemy they will not be standing in front of the doors like a buffoon. So left or right? It was 50-50 he chose right since he could hit it easier from his cover. Could 9 mil go through the wall was...academic.

"If it's a word from God we got our copy of the Watchtower this morning thaaaaanks!!!" It was gibberish likely inspired by the "angel" and the "devil" in the room with him meant to provoke the response and likely position of their guest.

Move Action: Drawing Pistol

Standard Action: Rolling into cover and taking aim

Free or Bonus Action (not sure which): Removing Safety

Name
Perception (Trying by hearing to determine position of knocker)
1d20+8 13

spacer.pngOlivia

One moment. She calls, drawing her sword, Doubt the Pure would knock if they thought we were here the revolver spinning on her finger as she walks towards the door, looking back to the girl, Janet, her eyes flicking as if to say get down or ready to fight. Waiting for a moment before taking a breath, her hand holstering her revolver, as she cautiously opens the door a crack to see who's out there