It's a Dry Heat

Eborne1

In Broad Daylight

As the ringing in your ears finally begins to subside, that mysterious old man's words come back to you as if they're whispered directly into your ear.

"Don't linger in the area. Get to Steve the Farrier in Barrio Rosa. It's about an hour's walk South. Tell him you're there to help with the water problem. I'll meet up with you again later."

There's no reason any of you should trust the odd instructions, but there wasn't any reason, either, why you should have traveled to the blazing heat of the desert, only to meet up with these other strange folks, and be immediately ambushed there. You have to admit though that it felt good killing those PURE soldiers and while you're almost certainly heading toward more conflict, you set out with a sort of futile willingness.

It's really f#%king HOT outside... and BRIGHT as sh$t !!!

You and your three companions make your way along an overgrown railroad track heading directly South along a quiet Freeway lined with crashed cars and broken bodies. Some of the dead sit gawking from the windows of cars that came to eerie, rolling stops and then never moved again.

So far you haven't seen any patrols, but that's likely because every PURE soldier within 5 miles is currently gathered at the house you've hastily left behind. Soon they will spread out though and they will scour every house, building, broken down car, creosote bush, drainage tunnel, and dog house for the Corrupted scum that killed their righteous brethren.

Many innocents hiding in small pockets here and there around Tucson will likely suffer from your actions, and the PURE'S bloodlust, but what choice did you have? You're all in the same boat now... and it's marooned in the middle of a blistering hot desert.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/8d/0e/e6/8d0ee63cef179103b6f148b8aff73d63.jpgDan | AC 19 | CMB +7 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 37/42 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |
Init: +4| Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +3 | Grit: 1/4 | Luck: ?/?

Dan walk and pulls out the old soldier canteen and just wets his mouth and lips and passes it to the next in line who happens to be the new guy. Then pulls out an old map he picked up now more than a year ago at the gas station, he mentally shakes the images of PURE teenagers that hunted him there and concentrates on the map.

"Look. That Gandalf lookalike said we need to get here..." he points at Barrio Rosa, barely a dot indicating it's more a larger village than a town. "Here is a stream that tends to be empty at this time of year, maybe some mud water at the bottom, if we enter it we won't be so visible, while with regular checks we will see anyone approaching." He points away from Tacoma "It's about 30 minutes that way, it goes our way about two-thirds of the way. Seems the safest route to me. Opinions?"

Tools of the Trade

Guns:

Revolver: 1d20+8 (Dragon Breath), 1d10+4 (x4), 40 ft, 6 cartridges

Pistol: 1d20+8 (Extra Shot), 1d8+4 (x2), 30 ft, 10 rounds

1-H Sawed-Off: 1d20+7 (Dragon's Breath or Stopping Power), 1d8+4/3d4+4 (x2/x3), 10/20 ft

Shortsword: 1d20+7, 1d6+3, (19-20/x2)

Unarmed: 1d20+7, 1d6+3, (x2)

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
In Broad Daylight

blindingsolari.jpg.a7964e4bcb60a1c6f95733fe70338f13.jpg

Despite Dan's suggestions to cross beyond the freeway and travel South by way of the dry riverbed, the group decides to stick to the railroad track.

You approach a short stretch of railroad cars that looks like a possible ambush point and you each recall that PURE soldiers are not the only threat to you in these desperate times.

As all corrupted know, firearms are a last resort for the wise when traveling through PURE territories. Their sound carries widely.

Each of you checks your weapons and weighs your options for there is usually little room for error...

Roll a DC 15 FORT Save vs. Heat (Failure = Fatigue)

Assimar.jpg.8e8591eeb2cabfd9a6bd0275eb0e038e.jpgOlivia | AC 18 | CMB +7 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 24/42 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |
Init: +4| Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +2 | Grit: 1
Favored Enemy(Human): +2 Attack, Damage, Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival

Olivia sighs, upon stepping out to see Dans handy work, checking her scimitar.

Equipment

[B]Masterwork Revolver (.357) (4/6 (Standard Action Reload)) [/B] +8 (1d10, x4)
(2d6 Fire, Reflex DC 14 (+2 with Dragon Fire Deed)
[B]Masterwork Bolt Action (30-06) (5/7 (Full Round Reload)) [/B] +8 (2d8, 19-20/x4)
[B]Masterwork Scimitar [/B] +8 (1d6+2, 18-20/x2)
[B]Masterwork Studded Leather Armor[/B] (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)

Mechanical actions 

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

OOC:

Name
Fort save
1d20+7 4

v3EC3XI.png.570c0edaabe9153dcb3df50f58653958.pngJanet Goldwyn | AC 14 | CMB +5 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 36/36 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |

Init: +5 | Fort: +5 | Ref: +6 | Will: +3 | Grit: 3/3

Janet pants as they walk through the hot sun. "I don't suppose any of yall got some ability to summon ice cream?"

When they spot the railroad cars, she stops, looking around. "This seems...dangerous. I suppose I could send Sir Slithers ahead to scout?" The snake peeks out of her bag, looking annoyed. If a snake could look annoyed.

Tools of the Trade

Spells:

Cantrips: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Message

L1: Charm Person, Murderous Crow

Hexes: (DC 14)
Healing, Slumber

MW Semi-auto pistol +7 (1d8, x2) | Bolt-Action Rifle +6 (2d8, 19-20/x4)

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/8d/0e/e6/8d0ee63cef179103b6f148b8aff73d63.jpgDan | AC 19 | CMB +7 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 42/42 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |

Dan trudged with others "If just someone who lived here proposed a better route, with possible water. Ah, he'd likely be ignored because he desecrated the body of angels who would do the same to Deviants, but while they are alive. However what gangster knows right? Except for escape routes, weapon stashes, hiding holes...If we survive this I couldn't care less do you approve of me, what I did, and what I'm doing. But after the next shoot out we are running in I'm taking the road I think it is best. Follow, don't follow your choice I crawled from Ohio to here with just few hickups, I meet with you and I'm f'd twice in an hour."

Tools of the Trade

Guns:

Pistol MW: 1d20+9 (Extra Shot), 1d8+4 (x2), 30 ft, 10 rounds

1-H Sawed-Off: 1d20+7 (Dragon's Breath or Stopping Power), 1d8+4/3d4+4 (x2/x3), 10/20 ft

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Name
Fortitude save
1d20+7 20

Sir Slithers makes his way ahead toward the rail cars while the party remains back, partially obscured behind some dry bushes. The snake doesn't seem to be in much of a rush and even seems to be enjoying the heat radiating up from the hot ground, but he eventually makes his through the scraggly weeds that grow along the tracks to the side of the first rail car. He slowly lifts himself up contorting his body into the old metal rail hubs, moving upward until he finally peeks his head over the ledge of the open railcar, tongue darting about as he peers inside.

@spitfire6006006 Please roll stealth and perception checks for Sir Slithers

v3EC3XI.png.570c0edaabe9153dcb3df50f58653958.pngJanet Goldwyn | AC 14 | CMB +5 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 36/36 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |

Janet rolls her eyes "Met with us, or the weird old guy? I'd say this is on him." She crouches down behind something as she watches her familiar slithering in to scout.

Tools of the Trade

Spells:

Healing, Slumber

Name
Slithers Stealth
1d20+15 1
Slithers Perception
1d20+9 1

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/8d/0e/e6/8d0ee63cef179103b6f148b8aff73d63.jpgDan | AC 19 | CMB +7 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 42/42 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |

Old biker snorted "I was longest longest-serving Chief President of my Club, even if we were at one point at war with literally every other 1% Club in freaking country. And I came out at the other end. Do you know why? Not my sunny disposition and friendly attitude surprisingly, but because I knew which bear to poke and how hard. Something tells me poking one that can summon us over the entire country, appear and vanish at will, and talk in our heads would be a monumentally stupid idea."

He chuckles to himself "Yeah, and now I'm walking into trice damn ambush, what the fu*k happened to me?"

Tools of the Trade

Guns:

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

Assimar.jpg.8e8591eeb2cabfd9a6bd0275eb0e038e.jpgOlivia | AC 18 | CMB +7 | BAB +3 | Hit Points: 24/42 | Size: Medium | Speed: 30 ft |
Init: +4| Fort: +7 | Ref: +7 | Will: +2 | Grit: 1
Favored Enemy(Human): +2 Attack, Damage, Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival

Olivia groans from the heat, doing her best to keep an eye out for ambushes, her voice low, Well, if we know it's an ambush we can plan to spring it from the outside.

Equipment

[B]Masterwork Revolver (.357) (4/6 (Standard Action Reload)) [/B] +8 (1d10, x4)
(2d6 Fire, Reflex DC 14 (+2 with Dragon Fire Deed)
[B]Masterwork Bolt Action (30-06) (5/7 (Full Round Reload)) [/B] +8 (2d8, 19-20/x4)
[B]Masterwork Scimitar [/B] +8 (1d6+2, 18-20/x2)
[B]Masterwork Studded Leather Armor[/B] (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)

Mechanical actions 

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

OOC:

Edited by Lunermist (see edit history)

Dan shrugs "Like I said there are more monsters than PURE around, while I was traveling from Utah I tried to stay off-road as much as possible and saw some weird ass wildlife. Humans are one thing, but I doubt we could spring a drop on a pack of mutated desert dogs, or coyotes before they smell us out. Also, if this happened to us, imagine what could've happened to desert scorpions or damn bird spiders. They were large as it is, imagine rounding a corner into one size of a cow."

While still talking biker opens the side compartment on his backpack and pulls out an old bottle with water and a rag formerly known as a towel. Unlike water from his canteen that he offered others before the one in the bottle is obviously hazy, but then. The old biker had no intention of drinking it, he poured almost a third of the bottle on the towel until it was soaking wet and offered it to Olivia. "Wrap it around your head for a while to cool off a bit, you look like 2 minutes before heatstroke."

He offers the bottle to the other two "Sorry, had only one towel, but if you have some rag, bandana, or can sacrifice a piece of clothes I suggest you do the same. I hav... I had family in the desert and more/less grew up there for safety reasons before I became the prospect for the club. I guess this weather is kinder to me than the rest of you. Just don't drink the water, I found it when I arrived at the house, a third full barrel placed to collect the rainwater. But who knows how long stood there, it was stale as the Hole bread. And the barrel was not the picture of cleanliness either. I think they used it for some livestock, pigs maybe, or some crops. There was that little dried-out garden in the back remember?"

Tools of the Trade

Guns:

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

The horned girl zones out a little as she focuses on her connection with her serpentine companion, mostly ignoring the grizzled man going on about the good ole days. After a bit, she glances back at them. "He found something, I think it could be an ambush. Or a corpse? Hard to say." She chuckles a little "You know I grew up here? I guess it's not as hot as riding around in the raw desert all the time, but it's still Arizona. So, we want to avoid, or try to ambush the ambush?"

Tools of the Trade

Spells:

Healing, Slumber

The old man gives a half-smile, the first one without any barbs or sarcasm. It does not make his face any more attractive or welcoming. But it does make him somehow, more Human. Just another old man. Hearing the report he draws shotgun and throws it in his left hand and draws Hand Canon for the right one and lowers his voice in case there were hostiles close around.

"Actually no, we didn't meet under normal circumstances, I assumed you were just another transplant that came to Tucson for college." He makes a brief pause "My family is from Rattlepit, that old round down hole 40 miles away from the city, it was a refueling hub before the highway was built, and like many others died of natural causes after it. There were about 2k people when my grandpa was born, a bit over 1k when my pa' was born, he moved to Tuscon when he was 18 but stayed tight with the old guard."

"There were roughly 400 people the first time I visited, and just about over 100 last time I spent some time there. I checked on it when I was returning, nothing but bones. It wasn't PURE, they were one of the lucky ones that just died and didn't wake up one flavor or another. Probably because they were just too old. I'd like that. From which part of the city you are?" His mannerisms and relaxed tone would lead someone to believe he was just an old dude talking to someone from his own city. If that someone wasn't in the house this morning to witness the slaughter and the current casual way he drew massive firepower. Aside from the custom-made bullets for .357 (he used/made "Boom-Boom" or Fragmentation bullets, after penetration they were designed to break into 4 fragments maximizing internal damage. Using them was considered a war crime in 90% of the world), there were 2 Dragon Rounds in his shotgun and Dan cocked both barrels. If he was to squeeze both triggers at once just after he unloaded a round from what sounded like a Fury of any God/Gods you worshiped. Your day just might be irreparably ruined if you were on the opposite side.

While Dan knew this wasn't a place for small talk, but this was the first time he met someone from Tuscone who hadn't tried to kill him and talk kind of came out naturally, without thinking, while his body prepared for combat. He slid behind one of the wrecks trying to position part with the motor between himself and potential attack. A decent firearm would cut through aluminum like it wasn't even there. Most of the motor was still a slab of steel, it would take a grenade launcher to chew through it. Suddenly changing the topic he asks Janet "Can your sneaky friend specify can we go around? We just looted nearly the entire hit squad, I doubt one corpse is that important to risk a trap. Not to mention potentially revealing our position, waiting is bad too we can be caught between two fires." He looks from his cover in a wide sweep that he repeats twice with ears straining to capacity to hear anything out of the ordinary.

Visually he was looking for possible escape/attack routes, ways into the sewer system, or small windows that would lead into storage lockers or restrooms, potentially access to the roofs.

Audibly he was mostly looking for small pebble slides that could be attributed to a wrong step, odd knocks that could be attributed to a weapon or piece of armor being accidentally bumped or scrapped against hard surfaces, and last, but definitely not the least.

Smell. True that sense atrophied more than others but it was often overstated by how much. The smell of sweat from them was overwhelming, so he concentrated could he smell the opposite, someone who's been in contact with a bar of soap or shampoo in the last week would be like firing signal flares, but there was another smell to look for that all members of PURE were exposed to regularly as every good zealot...incense from the centers. With some luck maybe even "The Brave Soldiers of God" got one last blessing rite before "Deviant Hunt". That was the one he was most hopeful of, second was vices, tobacco and booze to be precise. While he doubted any of them was dumb enough to smoke now, but regular smoker would have a scent in his clothes, hair, damn near everything, and if he decided to scrub it off, he'd round on the first issue, smell of hygiene products. Even hospital ones would reek of antiseptic and other people's blood. Alcohol was the second vice, while they probably wouldn't be passing the bottle around, one shot before the hard mission to steel the nerves, maybe even a hidden sip from the flask here and there, in this heat there would be panting through their mouth like everyone else and after such long abstinence from anything closing to good stuff made Dan almost bloodhound for the smell of colored spirit. Whiskey and Bourbon especially. The last one was basically a Hail Mary if all others fail, a smell he was more accustomed to than any other. The smell of old blood and weapon oil. The both would be faintest of others, oil stronger of the two obviously, but there was something about old blood. Nearly impossible to clean out fully, even after repeated washes, not to mention dried flakes that would stay on the blade or get stuck in the space between the blade and the handle.

Tools of the Trade

Guns:

Actions/OOC

Free:

Swift:

Move:

Standard:

Immediate:

OOC:

Remaining Loot From The Previous Battle:

-Hammer (Light mace)

-Machete

-+1 MW Big Orange Home Depot Axe (+1 Greataxe)

-Pump Shotguns x2

-Shells (no slugs) x8

-MW Semi-Auto Pistol

-Semi-Auto Pistol (Formerly Dan's he put it in as he took one MW one)

-Semi-Auto Pistol Clip

-Rifle

-Rifle Rounds x10

Name
Perception
1d20+8 3

Deciding it's not worth investigating whatever has Sir Slither's proverbial shackles up, you quietly break away from the railroad tracks.

You cut through some thick bushes, in your attempt to remain partially hidden.

Eventually, you come to a tall and long chain-linked fence, beyond which is a dried-up soccer field attached to a park. The whole thing is overrun by weeds, wildflowers, and desert shrubs.

It doesn'temp1.jpg.0df175e62fdb7f178b8d193667c9b0e4.jpgt appear to be too formidable a climb. However, once over there's a wide expanse of open terrain before you can dive into the next neighborhood.

Otherwise, you can return to the tracks or backtrack North and make your way around the park that way, though it will cut time off your schedule and you also suspect the PURE patrols are more likely to be in that direction, which is in the direction of the recent shootout.

Edited by Eborne1 (see edit history)