The Coming Dawn - Page 1

Xerin

Volker Riese - Der Drache

Jared Keeso in Monster Warriors : r/LetterkennyVolker might have been under a slightly incorrect impression when he signed up for English class under Ms. Brown. Slightly. It's less about learning the English language as someone who doesn't have it as a first language and seems to be more about literature?

The surprise is that he's actually a bit of a reader. Kind of happens when you have to get into politics quickly. Meh, it's good to get some practice for another language quick.

Title

Kannd'r

kaandr_2.jpg.c6a2f9d3452cc47f298d0798e985a3ed.jpg

Hero points 0 | Damage 0 | Initiative 0 | Perception 4 | Insight 4

Dodge/Parry: 3 | Toughness: 9 | Fortitude: 6 | Will: 4

Advantages

Attractive 2

Power Attack

Skills

Acrobatics 2
Athletics 10
Deception 5*
Insight 4
Intimidate 6
Peception 4
Persuasion 5*

Attacks

Unarmed: +10 Damage. +2 Atk. DC:25.
Star Fist: +14 Damage. +2 Atk. DC:26. 19-20 Crit. AutoAttack. Split.
Heat Vision: +3 Damage. +6 Atk. DC:18. Penetration 3.
Star Bolts: +5 Damage. +4 Atk. DC:20.

Kannd'r was honestly glad the week started with math class, math was at the very least a constant that she didn't have to figure out the correct way to interact with like she did with people. Not that she was mind you particularly good at it or anything. But it didn't stress her out like History was going to next period. She did make a point of remembering who was in the class with her at least, people to ask for help if she needed it later, Francis seemed to at least not be lost like some of the other students.

Mechanics & OOC
Edited by DecoyGirl (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

-Still not in the best of headspaces, but hope to get this going -

Class started with the basics of introduction and a general explanation of who the teacher was, what they were teaching, and how. Usually that covered the first half hour, before the teachers then started going over questions of what you did and didn't know of the subject, getting a read of you and your peers and what you all knew and what you knew correctly.

No matter what teacher you had, you were left with interesting moments and quotes. Whether you agreed with them or not, you could already tell by the first class that even the classes in this school were approaching knowledge in a very different way.

English

“SHE TOLD ME THAT SHE LOVED HIM” Was written boldly on the board with the sentence, 'Place only somewhere in the sentence". As students walked in on the brain teaser, Ms. Brown explained that communication was a continuous puzzle in which the right word in the wrong spot could make or break a case or a heart. Her job was to teach you to both communicate at a higher level but to also analyze communications so that you could deal with those who were attempting to lie or trick you with their words.

Math

"I find that many struggle with math because it is the only language that communicates only in truth. The only times when math is wrong is when there is outside context that the math you were using did not include." He states with a stoic voice. "How cold an object will become and at what rate are factors of a formula, how long it will take you to become hungry again is a formula, life in all its wonders and all its darkness, can be broken down into simple formulas that interweave in impossible complexity."

"Many of you won't go onto long-term super heroics. Though I suspect all of you will dabble at least once." Dr. Fries pauses. "Knowing a formula in most lives won't change anything. But for heroes, knowing how much cold makes steel brittle enough to break, or how much pressure it takes to cause a pipe to burst, or what angle you need to swing on a rope so that you get across a gap rather than slam into a wall. These will save your life. My job is to make sure that when a life is on the line, whether it be yours or someone else's, you can make an informed choice rather than a random guess." Dr. Fries leans against a wall. "Even when you do everything correct, you fail. There is no weakness, no failure, no protection against that fact of life. But being able to look back and know, even with hindsight, that there was nothing you could have done to make the situation better is the best comfort you can get. Even if it is a cold comfort." He gives a slight wan smile at the pun, before moving forwards with the lesson.

Science

Pamela Isley is sitting calmly in her chair with a picture of what looks like a lovely garden behind her. "Life, and as such biology, is war." She says with a grin. "There is nothing more devastating, or aggressive, or bloodthirsty, than the plants that many think of nothing than as the ground we trod on. Humans banned chemical warfare, plants have a mastery of it. Vampires are feared monsters of lore, but a simple strain of Kudzu consumes more life than all of Dracula's army. So, who's ready to learn about war?"

History

"We won't be using any history textbooks in this class." Said Mr. Knox with a sneer at the idea. "They were written by white western males who were desperate to hide their own barbarism with their lack of eloquence in the written word. Don't get me wrong, what they did has its place, and I don't blame any group for declaring or holding to a war. If you are to give your life for something, the action holds a value that should be respected. But it is an anathema to that respect when you rewrite what happened to make someone look better than what they were."

"There will be many things we discuss which we will only have tenuous actual understanding. I will guide you as best as I can through those areas, and teach you what we know to have happened, and give you a general understanding of what the general populace believes."

Volker Riese - Der Drache

Jared Keeso in Monster Warriors : r/LetterkennyVolker chuckles a bit internally as he considers doing the little excercise in German but it does seem like it would defeat the point. English isn't his first language but putting the new word in the 4th spot seemed the least depressing.

Then she mentions that this class might help spot lies. He finds that interesting, admittedly.

Title

spacer.pngJack Aldrich - Eldritch

Hero Points 0 | Damage 0 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Insight +5

Dodge 2/11 | Parry 4/11 | Fortitude 4 | Toughness 4 | Will 6

Jack absorbs the classes like a good student having promised Constantine to give it a chance.

He thought the word only had only one place where it could go in that sentence, so he didn't really understand the lesson. But, it didn't matter, Ms Brown was hot and would keep his attention.

Dr. Fries really did enjoy his cold puns and tried to make math exciting or at least show that it should matter. As long as they avoided actually doing math, the class shouldn't be too bad.

Ms. Isley was both hot and emotionally charged with all the talk of war. Constantine always said that that was a flammable mixture in women, but he is certainly not an expert there.

And, Jack stopped listening to Mr. Knox after he said there were no textbooks. How awesome is that?

• 2 weeks later...
Francis King - Lionheart

image.jpeg.dab08741c4105a45ee1b4c3a43bcf1f3.jpegTo Francis' surprise, he found that Dr. Fries was not only a man of incredible intelligence, but wisdom. Being a reformed villain, he has been through some of life's most terrible curveballs. And yet, here he is, trying his best to leave a lasting impression on young students about the importance of his lessons.

Though he is not the strongest in the subject, Francis does make an honest effort. He's not afraid to ask clarifying questions, even if they may be more obvious to the mathematically inclined. By the end of the lecture, two full pages of his notebook have been filled with neat penmanship. The notes are probably to a greater level of detail than is necessary, but he knows he can gauge that as time goes on.

When class ended, he swiped up his backpack, stuffed his notebook inside, and stepped with a little haste out the door. Once in the hallway, he ushered Jake over with a handwave.

Mechanics & OOC

Character Sheet

Voice Claim for Francis - Robin (Jesse McCartney)

Voice Claim for Maahes - Mufasa (James Earl Jones)

OOC: -

Jocelyn Davis

jocelyn_davis_challenger.pngDodge 6 Parry 6 Fortitude 6 Toughness 6/1 Will 6

Jocelyn was genuinely moved by Dr. Fries' lecture. His opinion on the subject of Math was profound in its most simplistic form. She found herself captivated by his reasoning and wished to absorb his wisdom completely. She took copious notes and wrote questions for herself to follow up with later. After class she went up and introduced herself to Dr. Fries. She asked a silly question regarding the mathematics of probability and variances and whether some outcomes are just ... finite. "I guess what I am asking is ... Are we ... or is it possible ... I mean ... Can we ever be in real control of our actions and their outcomes? Are we just reactionary puppets to a reprogrammed set of events? Just like how Shakespeare once said about 'all the world's a stage'. Are we just bit-actors in some deity's play? Does any of this really matter?" She waved her arm in a gesture to signify the world around her. She was genuinely concerned about her questions and not just asking to converse for the sake of eating up Dr. Fries' time.

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

~~ No rush in posting, just want to update for everyone since it's been a few weeks and I got 4 posts. ~~

@GleefulNihilism Not much to respond to until more players post.

@rogueblade0729 & @cbenny Waiting on CBenny. No rush, still holidays.

@JubalBreakbottle Waiting for further posts before I post further.

@rauhricDr. Fries looks like he's about to dismiss you out of hand but then takes a breath and looks at you for a moment. "I don't know your knowledge of either philosophy or your understanding of physics enough to discuss Laplace's demon with you properly. Especially not in a five-minute break between classes. But if I were to simplify my response, I would ask you to think of your family's home movies. If you were to watch them today, you could predict every move you make in them down to the smallest detail, and even know what the consequences are outside of that moment in time. But I doubt you would state that the decisions made at that moment, or the outcomes recorded, were unimportant. Meaning from a moment is what those in the moment make of it. Just because an event could be predicted doesn't make the event less meaningful. And from what I have seen, the most determined of people can alter fate."

spacer.pngJack Aldrich - Eldritch

Hero Points 0 | Damage 0 | Initiative +2 | Perception +5 | Insight +5

Dodge 2/11 | Parry 4/11 | Fortitude 4 | Toughness 4 | Will 6

After math class, Jack casually approaches Saba and nods whispering, "please read this in private." He hands her a folded paper note and casually leaves her when she takes it.

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

Jocelyn Davis

Jocelyn nodded and smiled at Dr. Fries' response and thanked him for his time before leaving. She pondered his explanation and tried to digest it in relation to her own understanding of her powers. She has an uncanny intuition on what to do and when to do it.

Sometimes her power feels like she is seeing a future, sometimes so fast that it escapes her memory like a dream. Sometimes it works like a feeling guiding her to the most optimal outcome of a given situation. Sometimes it feels like cheating through divine intervention. Either way it can sometimes feel like she is just a puppet. Is she in control of her life or is she just on cruise control with her powers doing all the work?

Jake Murphy - The Goose

JakeJake had always preferred hands-on practical learning rather than studying textbooks, but it seemed like the classes here were going to be pretty interesting. He was especially impressed by the riddle in English class when he realized how subjective and imprecise the English language actually was.

Title

Kannd'r

kaandr_2.jpg.c6a2f9d3452cc47f298d0798e985a3ed.jpg

Hero points 0 | Damage 0 | Initiative 0 | Perception 4 | Insight 4

Dodge/Parry: 3 | Toughness: 9 | Fortitude: 6 | Will: 4

Advantages

Attractive 2

Power Attack

Skills

Acrobatics 2
Athletics 10
Deception 5*
Insight 4
Intimidate 6
Perception 4
Persuasion 5*

Attacks

Unarmed: +10 Damage. +2 Atk. DC:25.
Star Fist: +14 Damage. +2 Atk. DC:26. 19-20 Crit. AutoAttack. Split.
Heat Vision: +3 Damage. +6 Atk. DC:18. Penetration 3.
Star Bolts: +5 Damage. +4 Atk. DC:20.

Classes went well, still a good amount of 'not getting it' but she was at the very least trying and paying attention and didn't appear to be frustrated at difficulty. That was in truth because she didn't consider much of what she was learning to be all that important but understood a base level of knowledge was needed.

Mechanics & OOC
Edited by DecoyGirl (see edit history)

Jocelyn Davis

Jocelyn looks a little bit surprised starting at Maya, the girl who could literally be anywhere, and said to her: "Hi. I'm Jocelyn. Thanks." She self-consciously fixes her hair to make sure it is presentable. "You got great style Maya." She feels the need to complement her on something too about her appearance. "Teleportation?" She had not really thought about her powers working that way, but it could if you think being aware of your existence across the multiverse is a form teleportation. "No. Nothing like that. It is a little hard to explain. You want to walk and talk about our powers?"

OoC

Not sure if I need to hide this conversation.