Questions

Blue Jay

1 minute ago, Grudge said:

So 40 gp would be 60 gp?

By the A&EG rules, sure, but the PHB/SRD has slightly different rules for Small/Large (although nothing for Huge+). See my post on the previous page if you missed it.

Just now, Faeryl_ said:

By the A&EG rules, sure, but the PHB/SRD has slightly different rules for Small/Large (although nothing for Huge+). See my post on the previous page if you missed it.

It was the answer to Steel, which you need in the meantime but the same as with you at SRD don't have Huge and above either price or weight and his answer gives me something to work with for now. I'll work with that and fix the details in the approval process. I stuck too much already on usually simple mechanics. I want to throw that on paper and start working on fluff. Someone will usually come and poke me if they see something wrong with numbers. I hope to plug in most of the stuff by tomorrow noon. All Important mechanics are now done (once I fix the price and weight for the Huge weapon) and ready to be transferred from sheet to app. Tommorrow only flaws and their feats to choose and that is that.

On 4/26/2024 at 3:53 AM, Steel Warrior said:

Drow Nobility, Drow Nobility, Improved and Drow Nobility, Greater (Greater suggested not taking until higher levels)

As I explained in your application, my suggestion about the Greater Drow Nobility feat was specific to your build, which I felt was likely to impact game enjoyment for other players (your character seemed incentivized to spam deeper darkness in all encounters, meaning that everyone else would have to play the bulk of the game blind). I also felt that it was likely to impact your enjoyment, because negative feedback from other players is likely to make you regret investing all your feats into spamming deeper darkness.

But now I think the simpler solution is to just put the Greater version on the "not approved" list.

On 4/26/2024 at 6:39 AM, DragonFriend said:

There are ways to get dex to damage in 3.5, but they are situational (Crossbow Sniper feat), or require PrCs and/or specific races.

On further reflection, I'm actually fairly friendly towards the idea of a general Dex-to-melee-damage feat, specifically for this reason. I don't like that only Shadow Hand swordsages can access it currently. When Nez made his breakaway game, he made it a standard rule that all weapons add the same modifier to damage as they added to attack rolls, and I don't think it was particularly problematic. Perhaps we should add advice for mission DMs that monsters and NPCs should have more hit points that usual (which is probably appropriate advice for RFT, anyway).

So I actually think Deadly Agility is a pretty good feat. It may make Dex into something of a "super stat", but it's still far easier to optimize Str for damage, so I think we should be alright approving it, in spite of the source restrictions.

Do the other mods have opinions on this?

@Delia2531, @rogueblade0729, @Rudolf

3 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

Arms & Equipment Guide Pg 4

Size, Weight, and Price: If you’re designing a weapon larger than the standard, its weight increases by 50% for each size category increase. Its cost increases at the same rate. So if you design a Large version of a throwing axe (ordinarily a Small weapon weighing 4 pounds) it will weigh 9 pounds: A Medium-size version weighs 6 pounds, and a Large version increases the weight by a further 50%. Its cost increases by the same amount, so a Large throwing axe would cost 18 gp.
Weights decrease by 25% per size category decrease if you’re designing a smaller version of a weapon. A throwing axe weighs only 3 pounds if you make a Tiny version of it. Costs also decrease by 25% per size category decrease, so a Tiny throwing axe would cost only 6 gp.

A&EG uses 3.0e sizing rules for weapons, which are more complicated than 3.5e rules (e.g., a weapon's size category doesn't necessarily correlate with the size category of its wielder). However, 3.5e does lack a size/price formula, so we've decided to apply the "Armor for Unusual Creatures" rules to weapons and shields (as explained in the "Equipment & Magic" rulings thread). Basically, price doubles for each size category above Large. Only the base price of the weapon is adjusted for size: add-on prices --- e.g., the price for masterwork quality, a special material or the Str rating for a composite bow, etc. --- are not adjusted for size.

However, @Grudge, Monkey Grip doesn't stack with Powerful Build (the wording is, "one size category larger than you are", not "one size category larger than you could normally wield"). So it won't get you a Huge weapon for a goliath.

16 hours ago, Grudge said:

There is a lot of interesting stuff there, now when we have Arena in swing I might make some experimental characters and see how they do. I don't want to grow definitely sounds like the winner for some builds. I will have to go there and check some crazy build. A slightly more sane one might be Half-Ogre Barbarian, barbarian basically needs just Str, Dex, and Con. Use Build points to boost a Dex to a reasonable degree. That thing whacking you with Power Attack with Large Greataxe would be hideous.

By the way, forgot to ask. Warblade 3 II LA 1/Fighter 2, seemed interesting as a maneuver barbarian basically. Hell, it gets maneuvers back by attacking and Fighter is plugging Feat holes left from LA+1 and gives proficiencies. I plan to concentrate on Iron Heart and Stone Dragon since they seem kinda Goliathy, maybe throw in a few White Raven stuff as the buff for others but not too many. The build is far from over, but it takes the shape in my mind.

What is your opinion on the class combo considering the race.

If looking for ideas, please go look at my character Morgo. He just turned level 5 and is capable of using most enemies as batting practice. Key feats to note: Knock Down and Knock Back.

20 minutes ago, Blue Jay said:

A&EG uses 3.0e sizing rules for weapons, which are more complicated than 3.5e rules (e.g., a weapon's size category doesn't necessarily correlate with the size category of its wielder). However, 3.5e does lack a size/price formula, so we've decided to apply the "Armor for Unusual Creatures" rules to weapons and shields (as explained in the "Equipment & Magic" rulings thread). Basically, price doubles for each size category above Large. Only the base price of the weapon is adjusted for size: add-on prices --- e.g., the price for masterwork quality, a special material or the Str rating for a composite bow, etc. --- are not adjusted for size.

However, @Grudge, Monkey Grip doesn't stack with Powerful Build (the wording is, "one size category larger than you are", not "one size category larger than you could normally wield"). So it won't get you a Huge weapon for a goliath.

In regards to special material, I do think that should potentially be an issue.
Sure, Adamantine is +3000 Gp on a standard small/medium weapon weighing 1lb to 12lbs. But then you have huge adamantine greataxe that weighs 180lbs

Adamantine heavy armor is +15,000 Gp Medium Sized Full Plate is 50lbs. So you can imagine that an adamantine greataxe is obviously more material to craft.

So. Deadly Agility needs to be added to the approved feat list?

Deadly Agility (Combat)Path of War, © 2014, Dreamscarred Press.

You have learned how to use your agility to greater purpose in battle.

Prerequisite(s): Weapon Finesse

Benefit(s): You may add your Dexterity modifier in place of your Strength modifier when wielding a light weapon or a weapon that gains the benefits of the Weapon Finesse feat (such as the rapier) when determining additional damage inflicted upon a successful attack.

When wielding a weapon in your off-hand, Deadly Agility will add the same fraction of Dexterity as you normally would for Strength.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Steel Warrior said:

In regards to special material, I do think that should potentially be an issue.
Sure, Adamantine is +3000 Gp on a standard small/medium weapon weighing 1lb to 12lbs. But then you have huge adamantine greataxe that weighs 180lbs

Adamantine heavy armor is +15,000 Gp Medium Sized Full Plate is 50lbs. So you can imagine that an adamantine greataxe is obviously more material to craft.

Adamantine isn't priced by weight, though (unlike darkwood). There are a lot of ways in which D&D's 'real world' measures don't seem realistic (e.g., why does a rope weigh as much as a sledgehammer?), so trying to make it all real-world consistent is a fool's errand.

25 minutes ago, Blue Jay said:

Adamantine isn't priced by weight, though (unlike darkwood). There are a lot of ways in which D&D's 'real world' measures don't seem realistic (e.g., why does a rope weigh as much as a sledgehammer?), so trying to make it all real-world consistent is a fool's errand.

To be fair. 50' of hemp rope is around 10lbs. A sledge is listed as 10lbs.

An example is the Manila Hemp Rope 50' 1" thick rope.

Item Weight     11.88 pounds

3 hours ago, Blue Jay said:

Lol. That was the first thing I asked (not here) and answered it's OK, never mind then. I did come out with the knowledge of how to price the equipment if needed. 😂

9 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

To be fair. 50' of hemp rope is around 10lbs. A sledge is listed as 10lbs.

An example is the Manila Hemp Rope 50' 1" thick rope.

Item Weight     11.88 pounds

Counterpoint (Item Weight: 6.03 lbs)

Other Counterpoint (Item Weight: 5.59 lbs)

I spent a bit of time looking up why you can get such different weights, and it turns out that there are a variety of different fibers referred to as "hemp", and it's likely that neither of the ropes we're linking to are actually made from "true" hemp (yours is manila hemp, a heavier fiber; and mine might be jute, which is a lightweight fiber). So, I guess there's a wide range of possible weights there.

But it sure seems like D&D went for the high end of weights for rope, while using a pretty average weight for a sledgehammer.

11 hours ago, Blue Jay said:

As I explained in your application, my suggestion about the Greater Drow Nobility feat was specific to your build, which I felt was likely to impact game enjoyment for other players (your character seemed incentivized to spam deeper darkness in all encounters, meaning that everyone else would have to play the bulk of the game blind). I also felt that it was likely to impact your enjoyment, because negative feedback from other players is likely to make you regret investing all your feats into spamming deeper darkness.

But now I think the simpler solution is to just put the Greater version on the "not approved" list.

On further reflection, I'm actually fairly friendly towards the idea of a general Dex-to-melee-damage feat, specifically for this reason. I don't like that only Shadow Hand swordsages can access it currently. When Nez made his breakaway game, he made it a standard rule that all weapons add the same modifier to damage as they added to attack rolls, and I don't think it was particularly problematic. Perhaps we should add advice for mission DMs that monsters and NPCs should have more hit points that usual (which is probably appropriate advice for RFT, anyway).

So I actually think Deadly Agility is a pretty good feat. It may make Dex into something of a "super stat", but it's still far easier to optimize Str for damage, so I think we should be alright approving it, in spite of the source restrictions.

Do the other mods have opinions on this?

@Delia2531, @rogueblade0729, @Rudolf

I would only be okay with allowing this for Dex if we also enforce carrying capacity and encumbrance, because that is what I've found balances Dexterity vs Strength. Sure, your ultra-nimble PC can fly around the battlefield like a leaf in the wind, but it doesn't matter if you can't find a way to not get burdened by all of your gear. An 8 Strength character can face penalties pretty quickly by just wearing armor and weapons alone.

Maybe that's just my 5e experience talking, though.

No, i played a pathfinder game where I got surprised by an invisible wizard. Joke was on him, his touch spell triggered the bestow curse I had waiting. As his str went from 8 to 2, he became unable to move, encounter over!

36 minutes ago, Blue Jay said:

Counterpoint (Item Weight: 6.03 lbs)

Other Counterpoint (Item Weight: 5.59 lbs)

I spent a bit of time looking up why you can get such different weights, and it turns out that there are a variety of different fibers referred to as "hemp", and it's likely that neither of the ropes we're linking to are actually made from "true" hemp (yours is manila hemp, a heavier fiber; and mine might be jute, which is a lightweight fiber). So, I guess there's a wide range of possible weights there.

But it sure seems like D&D went for the high end of weights for rope, while using a pretty average weight for a sledgehammer.

Yeah, to be honest, in my mind, rope making may have been lesser quality than what can be made in today's standards anyways. Rope today is most likely machine made and the fibers better woven compared to olden times, where it might have been fatter and not as durable. I haven't researched it though. *begins looking instead of sleeping*