Part I: The Slaughtergarde Laboratory

Camlann Cobb

"Guess I don't need to probe anything now to know the mud is bad news," he chuckles when Ce'luna explains that the puddle is quicksand.

"I've got fifty feet of good silk rope and a grappling hook in my pack," he offers when the question of rope comes up. "And I'm all for any plan that helps get me across without falling in. You sink quickly in armour like this," he notes with a sheep-faced look.

Show this

Holding off on a Balance check to see if there's a superior plan for getting across. A DC 15 check is no joke at this level.

Edited by raxivort (see edit history)
Name
Initiative check
1d20+2 19

Gwen Blodwenspacer.png

Gwen| Paladin 1 | AC16 Touch: 9 | HP: 11/11 | Fort +3 | Ref +0 | Will +0 | Spot/Listen +0/+0

"I have rope available as well to help us."

Gwen ponders for a moment at the obstacle before them. Balancing was not her strong point and her armour will not help.

"It is likely that I will struggle to cross. I am considering removing my armour at least to make it easier."

OOC

Name
Initiative
1d20+0 17

Ce'luna, Vaathwood Guardian

Celuna.jpg.0a7482a3ff2482fe3c946963bca3c229.jpgFemale   High Elf   Druid 1  

Init 4 | HP 8/8 | AC 12, Touch 11, FF 10 | Fort 2, Ref 2, Will 4

If someone makes it across and we secure the rope on both ends, we can use it as a sort of railing, Ce'luna observes and thinks to herself, it's a wonder any of these half-wits survived this long.

Show Mechanics

Actions

Free Action: 

Swift Action: 

Move Action:

Standard Action:

Skill and Abilities

Continuing Effects: 

Draconic Aura: +1 to initiative, Listen, and Spot checks when within 30 ft. of Camlann

Bless Spell: +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and fear saving throws for 18/20 rounds

Edited by snugglepooh (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+5 2

Father Wilwick Bramblemane, Halfling Cleric

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=17, Touch=12, FF=17 / HP=13/13 / Init=0 / Saves: Fort=6, Reflex=2, Will = 7  ________________________________________________________________________

Father Bramblemane's suggestion how to safely traverse the quicksand was quick and quiet and easy to accomplish, but apparently, he is too short to have his advice count.

When it's suggested to secure the two ropes at each end of the swampy pool, the padre says in a low voice, "Whatever you do, I recommend that you do it quietly so we aren't discovered and quickly before their chanting ends and my spell expires."

"In other words, we should avoid any hammering of pitons or other loud noise-making activities," Wilwick says once again wishing he had just crossed over on the boards when he did not even know it was dangerous.

Mechanics

Swift Action:

Free Action: Speak

Move Action:

Move:

Standard Action:

Continuing Effects:  Draconic Aura - (+1 to initiative, Listen, and Spot checks when within 30 ft. of Camlann); Bless Spell (ALL ALLIES have a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and fear saving throws for 17/20 rounds)

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

Camlann Cobb

"I, umm, agree with the good Father. There doesn't seem to be any good way to secure the ropes quickly and quietly," Camlann intervenes.

"I also agree with Gwen. If we're going to balance our way across, I'll have to remove my armour first. Is there anyone more sure-footed who's willing to take the plunge and go across first? You could use the Father's pole to help balance, that might be safer than using it as a walking stick," he adds, looking around at the others.

Show this

Holding off on a Balance check to see if there's a superior plan for getting across. A DC 15 check is no joke at this level.

Crescenda

image.jpeg.988d75254c362aa82cbf7e00eda6246d.jpegCrescenda | WizardConjuror Variant of Wizard 2 | Spells used - L0: 1/5; L1: 3/4 | AC12/16Dexterity +2

Touch 12
Flat-Footed 10

If Mage Armor is cast and active, Hagen's Armor becomes: AC16, T12, FF 14
| HP: 11/11 | Fort +2 | Ref +2 | Will +4 | Spot/Listen +1/+1

Crescenda picks up the muddy rope in her arms, tucks her crossbow about her back and presents one end of the muddy rope to Wilwick.

"If Your Holiness would hold onto this, please?"

Crescenda trusts Wilwick to hold onto the rope and thus starts towards the planks. Without looking behind herself, she braces her left arm on the rocky wall and starts to cross. It is not particularly fast going but slow and steady is enough for her. One step at a time...

Once by the other side, presuming that the planks do not give way, Crescenda takes a deep breath. And looks back to her associates.

Conditions, Actions And Things Of Interest

Action: Taking 10 on Balance Skill, and using One Hand Brace action during balance attempt.

Darkvision 60 ft

Darkness 1/Day; as per spell, as a spell-like ability;

Resist 5    Cold
Resist 5    Fire
Resist 5    Electricity

spacer.pngQUICK STATS:  AC=17, Touch=12, FF=17 / HP=13/13 / Init=0 / Saves: Fort=6, Reflex=2, Will = 7  ________________________________________________________________________

Father Bramblemane nods affirmatively at Crescenda when she asks the diminutive Halfling holy man to hold on to the one end of her rope lifeline while the wizard crosses the pit of quicksand on slippery boards leading to the other side.

Even though the Domain Priest is constantly eating, in fact the tiny cleric only weighs twenty-seven pounds soaking wet. As such, he looks up at Camlann Cobb and says in a low voice, "I really could use your muscles as a back-up, just in case."

Mechanics

Swift Action:

Move Action:

Move:

Standard Action:

Continuing Effects:  Draconic Aura - (+1 to initiative, Listen, and Spot checks when within 30 ft. of Camlann); Bless Spell (ALL ALLIES have a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and fear saving throws for 16/20 rounds)

Father Bramblemane smiles after Crescenda safely makes it to the other side of the swampy pit of watery sand without having any difficulties in connection with the trip.

Since he is so small and should be easy to support, Wilwick says in a low voice, "Hold the rope for me and I'll try to cross next."

After asking the gods to provide him guidance, the Halfling cleric tries to carefully cross the quicksand using the boards as a make-shift bridge leading to the other side.

Mechanics

Swift Action:

Move Action:

Move:

Standard Action: Cast Guidance Spell (+1 on attempt to cross the pit)

Continuing Effects:  Draconic Aura - (+1 to initiative, Listen, and Spot checks when within 30 ft. of Camlann); Bless Spell (ALL ALLIES have a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and fear saving throws for 15/20 rounds)

Gwen Blodwenspacer.png

Gwen| Paladin 1 | AC16 Touch: 9 | HP: 11/11 | Fort +3 | Ref +0 | Will +0 | Spot/Listen +0/+0

Whilst the others begin their attempt across, Gwen begins to stripping her armour, taking great care and precision to remove it as quickly as possible before stowing it within her backpack.

"Right, I'm ready to go toward the rear just in case."

OOC

Spend a minute removing armour.

Camlann Cobb

"Here, let me help you with that, then you can help me with mine," Camlann says and steps up and offers to help Gwen remove her armour.

"I guess this is one way to get a lady undressed," he jokes. "I wonder if mud wrestling is a common goblin courtship ritual?"

Show this

If they take turns helping each other remove their armour, Gwen and Camlann can both get their armour off and stowed in a minute total.

Once his armour is off, Camlann will hold the rope for anyone wanting to cross before making his own attempt. For that, he'll wind the rope securely around his right forearm and use the wall to brace like Crescenda did.

Edited by raxivort (see edit history)

Fable studies the situation, considers the input of her companions... and sighs. She had no rope, and didn't even bother to point to the loop where it should go on her backpack.  But, seeing Crescenda take the initiative snaps her out of her malaise!  The friendly banter between her companions offers her a boost to her morale.

"And I'll come up after you..." The Beguiler nods to the Brother. She watches the progress of her companions, readying herself for what, only the beings on the Plane of Concordant Opposition that might preside over her fate, might know. "Why did I not replace that rope I used on those... ugh..."

Map Insurance

Connection doesn't like Roll20, lemme move Fable on the map when I get home!

Edited by SCARY WIZARD (see edit history)
Name
Fable - Initiative
1d20+2 20

Gwen Blodwenspacer.png

Gwen happily accepts the help from Camlann before returning the favour.

"Fable if you go next then Camlann and I will then cross, should make it easier if something was to go wrong."

OOC

Spend a minute removing armour.

Crescenda

image.jpeg.988d75254c362aa82cbf7e00eda6246d.jpegCrescenda | WizardConjuror Variant of Wizard 2 | Spells used - L0: 1/5; L1: 3/4 | AC12/16Dexterity +2

Touch 12
Flat-Footed 10

If Mage Armor is cast and active, Hagen's Armor becomes: AC16, T12, FF 14
| HP: 11/11 | Fort +2 | Ref +2 | Will +4 | Spot/Listen +1/+1

Crescenda stands ready with her rope and extends an arm to Wilwick once the priest makes it to her side of the planks. "Welcome, Your Holiness. How was the trip?" Crescenda offers as a touch of levity. "The others seem to be needing a moment with their armor so I imagine we should have our ears ready."

Conditions, Actions And Things Of Interest

Darkvision 60 ft

Darkness 1/Day; as per spell, as a spell-like ability;

Resist 5    Cold
Resist 5    Fire
Resist 5    Electricity

Name
Active Skill Attempt: Listen
1d20+1 2

After a solid 10 minutes of shuffling around armor, equipment, and shuffling carefully across the pit you all make it across. You can still hear a single voice chanting, but it's not clear what the voice is saying.