The Fallen's Rest Tavern - Application OOC

The Eyeball Kid

52 minutes ago, The Eyeball Kid said:

The familiar acts on its own initiative. On your turn you could ready an action to attack on its turn (which would use your reaction) and it could grant you the Help action and thus advantage. It might do weird things with your bonus action since that would still have to be done on your turn.

Hmmm....back to the drawing board I think.

With a swashbuckler, I'm likely to beat the familiars initiative roll so more often than not I'd be holding my attack which would use a Reaction that might otherwise be used for an Opportunity attack and waste my Bonus Action which would most often be used to Dash away forcing my opponent to follow me.

I still like the idea of a Raven familiar, it fits so well with the story in my head, but I'll have to save it for Scouting etc.

29 minutes ago, MysteriousMiller said:

Hmmm....back to the drawing board I think.

With a swashbuckler, I'm likely to beat the familiars initiative roll so more often than not I'd be holding my attack which would use a Reaction that might otherwise be used for an Opportunity attack and waste my Bonus Action which would most often be used to Dash away forcing my opponent to follow me.

I still like the idea of a Raven familiar, it fits so well with the story in my head, but I'll have to save it for Scouting etc.

There's also the option of flipping the board. Have the raven move up to your target, then ready an action to help when your character begins his attack.

Now, if the familiar was an owl, I wouldn't do that, because the familiar has to stay in melee range, but a raven would provoke an attack of opportunity anyway when leaving.

If the DM is using the flanking rules, you can also just put the familiar on the opposing side of the target.

33 minutes ago, BlackPhoenix said:

There's also the option of flipping the board. Have the raven move up to your target, then ready an action to help when your character begins his attack.

Now, if the familiar was an owl, I wouldn't do that, because the familiar has to stay in melee range, but a raven would provoke an attack of opportunity anyway when leaving.

If the DM is using the flanking rules, you can also just put the familiar on the opposing side of the target.

That could work...particularly if the opponent has disadvantage attacking anyone but me 😉

One more important monetary question: material components.

Quite a lot of cleric's spells require costly material components (diamonds, to begin with). Is it all on the player and should be included in the spending of given 7500 gp, or can we have something for free? One cast of each spell maybe?

On 11/26/2023 at 4:05 PM, The Eyeball Kid said:

I can do that.

O.K.!

Here is a list of magic items that I'm interested in.

For approval, I will pick one if approved.

Scimitar of Speed - very rare

Spell Guard Shield - very rare 

Wakened Dragon Wrath weapon - very rare

+3 Weapon - very rare

Price for the following.

Dragon Wing bow - rare
Mantle of Spell Resistance - rare

Ring of Free Action - rare

Necklace of Adaption - Uncommon
Decanter of Endless Water - Uncommon

Edited by voodoozombie (see edit history)

Not-Price-Check but also Item and Class related.

There are items like Adamantine, Mithril, Dwarven, Elven etc which are said outright or are suggested to be non-magical even though they're on the "Magic Item List". In the specific case of these specific Non-Magical "magic items", are they valid choices for an Artificer's "Infuse Item" ability which must target Non-Magical Items?

Ex. I purchase or take a set of Dwarven Plate or Mithril Plate armor. Can I then use Artificer infusions every long rest to enhance that armor?

6 hours ago, The Eyeball Kid said:

As far as I can tell Essence is correct and there is no official Ring of Protection +2. I don't really have a problem with creating one, but the Ring of Protection is already a rare item so this would very rare. You could take it as one of your free items.

I saw it on 5e tools, but I just checked and it's from another book. It's "Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting Reborn". I'm not sure you would allow it. It's all good though.

6 hours ago, The Eyeball Kid said:

5e does seem to have simplified the shield. If you want a buckler I'll allow it. Call it 5gp, +1 to AC, and it can be donned or doffed as easily as drawing or stowing a weapon. Not sure I want to mess with the tower shield.

Oh, I didn't want to go down, rather up. I'm building a Shield Master Paladin, and the bigger the shield, the better it is.

On the shield topic, this one makes it possible to play Captain America. Not going to pick it. Just sharing out of fun.

So gathering information, no Rare +2 Ring of Protection, no +1 Adamantine Armor, and no tower shield.

But considering Cloak of Protection +1 is only uncommon, can we have a Cloak of Protection +2 rare?

Below this line is just my intended purchase on items. It's my brainstorming area.

+2 Shield (rare)
Adamantine Armor (uncommon)
Cloak of Protection (uncommon, A)
Ring of Protection (rare, A)
Sun Blade (rare, A)

Edited by Coruja (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, Coruja said:
So gathering information, no Rare +2 Ring of Protection, no +1 Adamantine Armor, and no tower shield.

Just as a quick note:

Several people, at a glance, have already taken some form of Adamantine/Mithril +1 armor, so I imagine it's okay. Or quite a few people need to do some adjusting. Lol

3 minutes ago, Miss said:

Just as a quick note:

Several people, at a glance, have already taken some form of Adamantine/Mithril +1 armor, so I imagine it's okay. Or quite a few people need to do some adjusting. Lol

Yeah, I wouldn't think it to be a problem, but someone said it's a problem and I don't know anymore.

6 hours ago, BlackPhoenix said:

Likewise, I've seen character applications with a +1 Adamantine armor. There's no such thing in the books. It's either a +1 armor, or an adamantine armor.

Here, Black Phoenix said it's either one or another. I guess I'll have to get the GMs input on this.

6 hours ago, BlackPhoenix said:

Likewise, I've seen character applications with a +1 Adamantine armor. There's no such thing in the books. It's either a +1 armor, or an adamantine armor.

I don't see why not. Both the +1 and the adamantine just add to the base cost of the armor.

@The Eyeball KidStill waiting on my prices for the items I asked for.

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Draidden said:

I don't see why not. Both the +1 and the adamantine just add to the base cost of the armor.

Probably because the base price of non-magical armor varies wildly, from 5gp to 1500gp.

All I'm saying is that there isn't a +1 adamantine armor in any book, just like there's no Holy Avenger Flametongue Frostbrand great sword. I have no problem with it if the DM homebrews it. Maybe it's just me but I just don't make up magic items and assume the DM allows it.