Main OOC Thread (OOC)

Going pretty much for a sage/librarian type, differing from the many apps that are going for spellcasting martials.

I see her as a mage who is more afraid of the Asmodeans than she is of the demons... think cult escapee, in need of deprogramming, who believes she needs to make the company she ends up into her bodyguard/security detail, and so is pathologically devoted to being useful to them in a quid pro fashion.

That usefulness is mostly aerial familiar scouting, knowledge skills and crowd control spells, in as much as that is possible with three spells. :)

I can hardly imagine a more apt description of the Church of Asmodeus than as a charismatic cult. I see Lwmons is pondering a lawful good paladin of Asmodeus.. what were the odds?

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)

4 hours ago, GleefulNihilism said:

A Devil’s Advocate of Devil’s Advocates.

That’s gotta have a name.

There is technically a Cleric archetype called the Asmodean Advocate that's meant to be this exact concept, but it doesn't have that same gimmick factor that a Paladin of Asmodeus has.

3 hours ago, Starhawk said:

I can hardly imagine a more apt description of the Church of Asmodeus than as a charismatic cult. I see Lwmons is pondering a lawful good paladin of Asmodeus.. what were the odds?

It's a consideration, not something I'm wholly set on. I still want to stick with my original Paladin of Milani concept, I've just lost a bit of steam on it. The Paladin of Asmodeus I'm basically imagining as super naive and either completely blind to or willfully ignorant as to just how evil Asmodeus actually is. Maybe a "There's no lifetime in which I will ever condone what he's done, but there's also no one in all the planes who can enforce a deal quite as well as he can" type thing

Edited by Lwmons (see edit history)

And here I am with a simple character who thinks it's a bit odd to go around believing in things all the time. Sure, the gods exist (and half of them seem like prats), they don't really need him to go around believing in them and telling them how great they are. He'll fight demons out of a general belief that abusing and oppressing people falls under the broad heading of not a good thing. Well, that and because his player wants to cackle like mad after using Humanoid Embiggination into a reposition move and whip suplex an absurdly large demon into other demons.

Edit: And I think I nailed down the pesky bonus language issue. Unless I'm misreading between the Pathfinder Guide and the wiki he'd have Taldane and Hallit as a cultural languages, and picking up Varisian seems to make sense for someone who has worked as a driver and guard for merchants.

Edited by MrNeech (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, parody said:

Got it. What about Combat Stamina - is it feat access, free for fighters, fighter bonus feat only etc?

That's something that can be discussed. I have no issue implementing the ruleset if players are interested in using it.

Hey, all. Strongly considering applying this for one. Before I truly proceed with character building, I want to verify that variant heritages for Tiefling are on the table. Thanks.

On 3/28/2024 at 4:18 AM, Lwmons said:

There is technically a Cleric archetype called the Asmodean Advocate that's meant to be this exact concept, but it doesn't have that same gimmick factor that a Paladin of Asmodeus has.

It's a consideration, not something I'm wholly set on. I still want to stick with my original Paladin of Milani concept, I've just lost a bit of steam on it. The Paladin of Asmodeus I'm basically imagining as super naive and either completely blind to or willfully ignorant as to just how evil Asmodeus actually is. Maybe a "There's no lifetime in which I will ever condone what he's done, but there's also no one in all the planes who can enforce a deal quite as well as he can" type thing

Yeah, I was vague there. What are the odds of a wizard fleeing Asmodeus cult programming joining a group that included a 'good' Asmodean paladin. Asmodeus worshippers tend to be quite rare in this AP. Though I do recall a DM allowing an Asmodean Advocate into the Hell's Rebels AP, which seemed to me like allowing a Sith to play in your Jedi game. Couldn't wrap my head around the thinking on that occasion. The PCs have to accept other PCs, but asking other players to accept the complete antithesis of themselves seemed a tad much. :)

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Eletido said:

Hey, all. Strongly considering applying this for one. Before I truly proceed with character building, I want to verify that variant heritages for Tiefling are on the table. Thanks.

They are.

Honestly as funny as the Asmodean Paladin sounds, I can't picture a character for it beyond the concept. Plus Asmodeus doesn't actually take Paladins, I'd need to get approval for that, and unlike Milani he doesn't have any closely aligned LG dieties who do take Paladins I can use to base tenants off of. Conceptually I think it has a lot of good roleplay opportunities with Hellknights, who similarly base themselves off the Lawful nature of the Hells without actually supporting their evils, but I'm still drawing a bit of a blank.

Maybe I'll try and stick with Nata, I just need to find a new source of inspiration for her.

@Lwmons

I thought this could be fun to do together:

If other characters choose this trait,

you should all work together to decide what deity you’re

associated with—it should be the same deity shared by

all of you. You might even share the same dreams.

(From the players' guide, touched by divinity trait)

Edited by Kistler (see edit history)

@Kistler

I was originally looking at Touched by Divinity just because of how well it works with the Chosen One archetype I was taking for Nata, but ultimately I wanted to go with either Stolen Fury or Exposed to Awfulness to tie in with a backstory detail where she wasn't born a tiefling but became one due to Abyssal influence.

Touched by Divinity makes a lot of sense, and I'm sure I could tie in the backstory without one of the above campaign traits, it's something I need to consider more.

Actually, regarding that, I do have a question. I understand that the campaign traits are meant to represent a particular subplot/side story within the AP for the individual characters. What happens to these subplots if someone doesn't have the relevant campaign trait? I'd hate to lose out on one or more of them if a full party has overlapping campaign traits.

3 minutes ago, Lwmons said:

I understand that the campaign traits are meant to represent a particular subplot/side story within the AP for the individual characters. What happens to these subplots if someone doesn't have the relevant campaign trait?

WotR is a bit special in the sense that the campaign traits play a special role outside of just background fluff and a nice bonus for the PCs. I haven't read enough into it to really know what happens, but I'm guessing from the way that the PG words things, suggesting that PCs are best to pick different ones or make sure those that have picked the same ones can share in the same event, that they're trying if not to maximize the use of these events and their impact to the PCs, then at least to make sure nobody loses out on it.

Under a ficticious assumption that a game runs with 4PCs and each takes a different trait, I'm guessing that the rest of the 2 events just won't impact the PCs as they happen (or won't happen at all)?