Morgen Keep OOC

Posted (edited)

How did Fang qualify for Improved Trip when it requires Combat Expertise and both require Int 13? You still trip them either way, but you would not get the extra attack.

ETA: I edited the attacks for the enemies into the latest IC post. Gwain takes a hit for 5, but everyone else avoids getting hurt this round. Winter, Ryzia and Jorenis are up.

Edited by Faeryl_ (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Faeryl_ said:

How did Fang qualify for Improved Trip when it requires Combat Expertise and both require Int 13? You still trip them either way, but you would not get the extra attack.

proudly raises his head How? Tsk, the answer should be obvious my dear Watson, I obviously didn't check the prerequisites thinking Trip was enough and that Mod would notice if I made a mistake 😅 In his defense I did ask him to see could he do it quickly since I needed it before Monday (it was Sunday I believe). My apologies, since it was my second AC and the first wolf I just googled the best Feats for Wolf companions and went with the two I have, now I have to check the prerequisite for the other too, and check that page again too since there is no way to raise wolf's intelligence to 13 I know of. Give me 5 min to check more thoroughly.

Well, animals have magic item slots. Although 13 is a bit high. You'd need a much higher level companion to get 13 Int. If you put all your regular ability score increases into Int (4th, 8th, 12th, etc) you could get a total of +5 Int for your 2 Int companion. Which puts them at 7. And then you'd need to burn some money on a Headband of Intellect +6. By which point there's just no point anymore. You've hit 20. You're done. Time to forever go on off-screen adventures or retire.

Animal companions are just not meant to have Combat Expertise and things that rely on it. They aren't "smart" enough.

@Faeryl_ Found an issue, since I play PF more I instinctively went to that help forum, and there I saw Dirty Fighting has an interesting special. To quote: "This feat counts as having Dex 13, Int 13, Combat Expertise, and Improved Unarmed Strike for the purposes of meeting the prerequisites of the various improved combat maneuver feats, as well as feats that require those improved combat maneuver feats as prerequisites."

Of course that is not in D&D Dirty Fighting, there just confers a bonus of 1d4 to damage, of the full attack. Game Forum screw-up. I'll see to fix it. Any decent wolf feat suggestion welcome

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

Ability Focus: Trip, Blind-Fight, Improved Natural Attack: Bite. There are plenty of options. The Monster Feats section of the SRD is a good place to start looking; for basics at least. There are also guides to the druid/ranger class and their animal companions out there if you feel like searching for them.

29 minutes ago, Faeryl_ said:

Ability Focus: Trip, Blind-Fight, Improved Natural Attack: Bite. There are plenty of options. The Monster Feats section of the SRD is a good place to start looking; for basics at least. There are also guides to the druid/ranger class and their animal companions out there if you feel like searching for them.

He has a Trip as a baseline, Unfortunately, doesn't qualify yet for Improved natural attack (needs BAB 4, his is 2), but it does qualify for Improved Natural Armor, needs Con of 13 and he is 14, with that getting his armor to 17. I likely will change Dirty Fighting to tomorrow (almost 4 in the morning here and I'm too pissed because of my stupidity to think clearly, I'll just swap Improved Trip for Improved Natural Armor for now. And get to thinking once steam stops coming from my ears. I mean it's not just this game, I drag this from OGMW, plopping PF version of the feats and then faceplanting when a fight breaks out. Luckily it's early spotted. As a wolf, he already has some Improved Trip stuff (no AoO's on him, touch attacks or reverse Trips) so basically I lose only bling, I'm just angry at being dumb.

I'll switch it to Improved Natural Armor and see about switching Dirty Fighting too after the encounter so as not to disrupt too much right now. Thanks.

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Faeryl_ said:

Well the thing about PF feats is that you can use them. Provided that you request them in the questions thread first.

Too late for that now and have you seen that monstrosity? I take Dirty Fighting and automatically am eligible for all feats that need Dex and/or Int 13, Combat Expertise, and Improved Unarmed Strike. That is like a treasure trove for AC, giving him Int 13 (which as you said for AC is very hard to achieve, and I get it at lvl 3. I get prerequisites like I have Combat Expertise and Improved Unarmed Strike, with that Int 13 that opens AC to a bunch of Feats that would be OP at their level. I'd be able to grab Feats from the Brawler class that uses natural weapons, likely Monk too. No way out would be allowed. Maybe Feat alone, but they would scrap special. It's more powerful than a Feat when you think about low level ACs.

Sorry I took way too much of your time with this, I just wanted to check about Gwain's first attack (16) since it wasn't mentioned. Was it a miss?

No, it was mentioned. "An arrow sprouted in the archer's chest". The missed arrow hit a stone wall and shattered, and then the other struck true as mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Faeryl_ said:

No, it was mentioned. "An arrow sprouted in the archer's chest". The missed arrow hit a stone wall and shattered, and then the other struck true as mentioned.

Cool, likely saw it before it was fully updated because of this feat stuff. Thanks for all, see you tomorrow (well, this morning after I catch a bit of sleep)

You landed one hit with the 13. They don't have any manufactured armor by default. They're humanoids, so they definitely ought to even with increasing natural armor bonuses. Not that I'll be changing them mid-fight, of course.

Posted (edited)

Enemies have not moved from their previous locations. Only PCs have and their movement (should be) accounted for already. Also, no need to wait for approval to carry over to a new round. Let's just keep it going.

Edited by Faeryl_ (see edit history)