OOC

TheWordWeaver

@TheWordWeaver 1. In case you didn't notice, I placed Clair (Mags' familiar currently in cat form) on the rooftop on the northern border of the map next to that alley--to represent her position on a second story ledge (or a high window ledge or other place out of reach of Valyv). I was assuming multi-story greek architecture, but maybe that's wrong. Could you clarify/confirm whether Clair is on the roof of a one-story building or just on the ledge (or something) of a multi-story building?

2. For most of this opening scene, Clair has been described as high up on a ledge with a good view of the mall, watching the entrances. Based on this, could we assume that Mags knows knows if any of the entrances/exits are actually just dead ends (and if so, does Mags know if the alley (north on the map) is a dead end)?

3. If Mags doesn't know about the alley, he will send Clair to check it out--to confirm that it is not a dead end. Hopefully, it connects to some larger street after a short distance. Clair's move is 40, and she'll take the Dash action (if necessary) for 80 feet of movement. So I'm wondering how much of her movement (whether along the rooftops or climbing down into the alley) it will take to confirm that the alley leads to either a dead end or some larger thoroughfare?  Ideally, I'd like her confirm and return to the battle if that can be achieved in 80 feet or less of movement. 

1 hour ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

@Neopopulas The mechanics on your most recent post shows Dam with sword and shield in hand while casting a spell--does she have the War Caster feat or some other feature that allows her to perform the somatic components of spells even when she has a weapon and a shield in her hands? 

Also, I made a token for Damaia and put her on the map, guessing her location based on your description of her action. But could you confirm/revise her position on the map so that we know where she is standing? (You may want to consider having Dam complete the rest of her 30 foot move to close with the longsword leader you targeted--otherwise you could be surrounded by the mooks, cut off from the other PCs, after the enemy's combat turn.) 

I couldn't access the map (the downside of owlbear i'm afraid is the host has to have it open for it to be working), so thanks for that. I think i need to cast the spell and then bring out my shield. I have Ruby of the War Mage that allows me to use the sword as a spell focus but i had to check and if what i'm reading is right it doesn't replace Somantic components, so i would need to have the sword out but not the shield until after i cast.

The question is can you ready a shield as a free or bonus action, if that is the case then that's what i'd be doing.

I mean its what i'll be doing no matter what but yes i'll have to move-cast-move again and draw my shield whenever I can.

As to the Ruby it seems to create some interesting RAW interactions.

Can you your Ruby of the War Mage weapon to perform somantic requirements

The answer is No.. but yes..

The short answer is, basically... If you are using the weapon/focus for material components, then yes you can, if the spell doesn't have material components, then no. (TL;DR: if it has both material and somantic yes if its just somantic no) Its just.. kinda weird. But i can just use an object interaction to switch my shield in and out and by RAW it should be fine. Level 4 is also right around the corner and i intend to get War Caster anyway so even if it doesn't all work out it will soon anyway.

Edited by Neopopulas (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Neopopulas said:

I couldn't access the map (the downside of owlbear i'm afraid is the host has to have it open for it to be working), so thanks for that. I think i need to cast the spell and then bring out my shield. I have Ruby of the War Mage that allows me to use the sword as a spell focus but i had to check and if what i'm reading is right it doesn't replace Somantic components, so i would need to have the sword out but not the shield until after i cast.

The question is can you ready a shield as a free or bonus action, if that is the case then that's what i'd be doing.

I mean its what i'll be doing no matter what but yes i'll have to move-cast-move again and draw my shield whenever I can.

As to the Ruby it seems to create some interesting RAW interactions.

Can you your Ruby of the War Mage weapon to perform somantic requirements

The answer is No.. but yes..

The short answer is, basically... If you are using the weapon/focus for material components, then yes you can, if the spell doesn't have material components, then no. (TL;DR: if it has both material and somantic yes if its just somantic no) Its just.. kinda weird. But i can just use an object interaction to switch my shield in and out and by RAW it should be fine. Level 4 is also right around the corner and i intend to get War Caster anyway so even if it doesn't all work out it will soon anyway.

Unfortunately, donning or doffing a shield takes your action (not a bonus action or a free action). So you'll have to fight without the shield if you want to be casting spells (such as Burning Hands, that lack Material Components) in combat. Either that or you'll have to spend a round removing the shield, then a round to cast the spell, and then another round to strap the shield back on--every time you want to cast in combat. 

EDIT: Alternatively, you've got several combat spells in your spell book that do require material components. You could cast one of those instead. Or you could just attack the guy with a weapon attack.

EDIT#2: Below is a screenshot of the map, and the Owlbear FAQ page, in case it helps you figure out why you can't access Owlbear. If none of this helps resolve the Owlbear problem, what VTT or other option would work best for you. 

Owlbear Rodeo FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

General

Can my stream use Owlbear Rodeo?

Sure!

Can I self-host Owlbear Rodeo?

At this time we have no plans to offer a self hosted version of Owlbear Rodeo.

Is Owlbear Rodeo open source?

Owlbear Rodeo is not open source at the moment.

Can I contribute code to Owlbear Rodeo?

At the moment we are not taking code contributions to Owlbear Rodeo.

Games & Maps

I’ve added a map to my game, why can’t my players see it?

This could be because it’s taking a while to upload. Ensure that your players can see a loading bar at the top of the site. Owlbear Rodeo will do its best to load a lower quality map, before continuing to load in higher quality. See 'How big can my maps be?' in our faqs.

If your players do not see a loading bar at the top of their screen ensure that you don't have an extension that is blocking WebRTC connections. Some VPN extensions can cause this.

Why do some of my tokens have a question mark on them?

This means that the token hasn’t loaded in just yet. If they still haven’t loaded in after some time, try giving the page a refresh. You should see load progress on the loading bar at the top of the website.

How big can my maps be?

Owlbear Rodeo has a map size limit of 50MB but keep in mind the larger the map you upload the longer it will take for your players to load. We recommend trying to keep your maps under 10MB in size and under 8000px on the largest edge in resolution. If you accidently upload a map that is too big you can use the quality option in the map's settings to lower the size without needing to re-upload your map.

Where are my maps stored?

Your maps are stored on your local device. This means that clearing your site data will delete your maps, so please only do so if you have no other options.

Why am I being prompted for a password when I didn't set one?

If you're game link is over 24hrs old then this could be why you are being prompted for a password. Creating a new game won't affect any maps you have used or prepared previously. See 'How long does a game I create last?' in our faqs.

How long does a game I create last?

We encourage users to create games every 24hrs. Any maps you have added or made edits to will not be affected and will still be available when you create another game.

I can join my game but the spinner is constantly loading, why?

This could mean that the service is currently down. Please visit us on Twitter or Reddit and let us know.

Unable to find owner for map?

If you see a message labelled "Unable to find owner for map" please ensure that the owner of the map is connected to the game. If they are, they may need to refresh their browser to reconnect.

Audio Sharing

How do I use Audio Sharing?

You can find out how to use Audio Sharing in our how-to docs.

Why isn’t audio sharing working?

If you see "Your browser doesn’t support audio sharing":

• Be sure that you are using Chrome for sharing audio

If you see "No audio found when sharing audio":

• Be sure that you have the Share audio checkbox ticked when clicking the Share button.

Database

Database is disabled.

Owlbear Rodeo uses a local database to store saved data. If you are seeing a database is disabled message this usually means you have data storage disabled. The most common occurrences of this is if you are using Private Browsing modes or in Firefox have the Never Remember History option enabled. The site will still function in these cases however all data will be lost when the page closes or reloads.

Connection

WebRTC not supported.

If you see a WebRTC not supported message ensure you are using a browser that supports WebRTC and also ensure that you don't have an extension that is blocking WebRTC connections. Some VPN extensions can cause this.

Screenshot2023-03-24at9_15_28AM.png.462ffa8972ef0e79442a6483bed0f0ac.png

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)

@Rumrunner FYI, in the Mechanics section of my combat post, I've placed the following.

If-Then Movement: If Mag's attack takes the soldier down, Mags has 4 squares of movement left, so he will move to flank the Orc, providing advantage to Billie and her Echo, so she can finish the bugger off. 

Thanks. I just get 'unable to find owner for asset' i assumed its because the host wasn't there, but maybe not! I'd move up around near billie's Echo anyway.

For the most part i'm not worried about the spells+shield. In this case i'll just go without the shield - and use the sword two handed this fight - if things go really bad i'll use up an action if i have to.

Come 4th level it won't matter anymore so no big deal either way.

Edited by Neopopulas (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, Neopopulas said:

Thanks. I just get 'unable to find owner for asset' i assumed its because the host wasn't there, but maybe not! I'd move up around near billie's Echo anyway.

For the most part i'm not worried about the spells+shield. In this case i'll just go without the shield - and use the sword two handed this fight - if things go really bad i'll use up an action if i have to.

Come 4th level it won't matter anymore so no big deal either way.

Great!  I'll move Dam's token to flank. Let me know if I got it right. Here's hoping you roll a crit on the two-handed longsword attack next round!

Screenshot2023-03-24at9_29_04AM.png.e797dbdb205ddc7d756466f3d39f577a.png

Edited by Wizard of the Coat (see edit history)

@Rumrunner Nice job taking down the orc! So did you know he's is dead? [Just wondering if TWW posted the HP for the bad guys somewhere and I missed it.]

Also, did Billie already have advantage on her attacks or were you're advantage rolls based on the possibility that Mags would be dropping the mook/soldier he attacked and then provide a flanking bonus? [Just wondering if I need to move Mags to be Billie's flanking partner]

@TheWordWeaver When we kill bad guys, should we remove their token from the board or would you prefer to control that?

17 hours ago, TheWordWeaver said:

Yes, you can. Also all the attacks hit narrowly. He is still standing if only barely. And I mean VERY barely.

I'm assuming he's dead based on the above from TheWordWeaver, I think 14damage is significantly more than "barely"... it's like enough to half kill most of us.

I was advantaging based on the possibility of mags being there... I did just burn through all of my Incarnation attacks, I wasn't really planning on using the shadow this round, but I liked how the scene is panning out. 

Gotcha. Thanks. I suppose one advantage of some of the other free VTTs out there is the ability to put stats on the tokens (AC, conditions...), including hp counters tied to statuses like (bloodied, barely standing, and dead), allowing players to add damage to a token and see if a big X appears, signaling death. If Owlbear Rodeo doesn't end up working for Neo, we'll need to find another VTT option (assuming TWW's love for pretty maps endures).

Goood Morning,

It'll be a red circle for the dead so thank you for putting it on there for me. The Orc is most definitely dead after that attack.

Also sorry Yesterday after work was way busier than expected.

4 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

@TheWordWeaver 1. In case you didn't notice, I placed Clair (Mags' familiar currently in cat form) on the rooftop on the northern border of the map next to that alley--to represent her position on a second story ledge (or a high window ledge or other place out of reach of Valyv). I was assuming multi-story greek architecture, but maybe that's wrong. Could you clarify/confirm whether Clair is on the roof of a one-story building or just on the ledge (or something) of a multi-story building?

2. For most of this opening scene, Clair has been described as high up on a ledge with a good view of the mall, watching the entrances. Based on this, could we assume that Mags knows knows if any of the entrances/exits are actually just dead ends (and if so, does Mags know if the alley (north on the map) is a dead end)?

3. If Mags doesn't know about the alley, he will send Clair to check it out--to confirm that it is not a dead end. Hopefully, it connects to some larger street after a short distance. Clair's move is 40, and she'll take the Dash action (if necessary) for 80 feet of movement. So I'm wondering how much of her movement (whether along the rooftops or climbing down into the alley) it will take to confirm that the alley leads to either a dead end or some larger thoroughfare?  Ideally, I'd like her confirm and return to the battle if that can be achieved in 80 feet or less of movement. 

1. Second story is right I just didn't have any balcony or second-story assets to use when making this map /sad. you can safely assume there is some kind of sheltered balcony under those roofs. The buildings are 2 stories high in this area.

2. Yes you can safely say that none of the entrances or exits around this area are dead ends. It would take only 15 ft of movement for Clair to reach the wall and then see that the alley continues to the right and out into the rest of the Mall.

Is it fine to assume Valyv is trained to stay near Lu?  Billie definitely would at least have attempted to train him to, and he'd know well enough that attempting to stay near Billie after she draws her sword is pretty much futile. 

He's basically just going to be taking the dodge action unless attacked.  He may attack anyone who attacks her, but I'm fine if that's not a thing.  I'm sure Billie would have given him all the treats on any occasion he viciously protect Lula.

Just now, Rumrunner said:

Is it fine to assume Valyv is trained to stay near Lu?  Billie definitely would at least have attempted to train him to, and he'd know well enough that attempting to stay near Billie after she draws her sword is pretty much futile.  

Being from Frey you can assume he is a pretty well-trained military dog.