Out of Character thread

Vladim

51 minutes ago, Suzuki Stumpy said:

I’ll look it up later today. I just picked it up from the charsheet this time (otherwise I wouldn’t have remembered it)

It might be from the custom rewards from Sentinel actually. Sounds like my homebrew :)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thesloth said:

Having returned from my training exercise I now understand the effects of fatigue and hope in far more personal manner.

Any shadow points gained? Or is it more like Delta Green where relationships with other people are strained? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think we hit on our plan. We could ask Hartfast to take us to Fundor in the morning. Then we could run a little more socializing. I've wanted to have Dahr-Ol ask Lachiel why she looked like she was talking to the river before we crossed the bridge, but the moment hasn't been right.

This was a rather uneventful travel phase. Normally we either face ambushes or near death from Wargs/hypothermia/starvation. But I think it will pick up once we get into the tunnels and can really engage with driving out the goblins.

I suppose, but it's more that I have never had a good grasp of Middle Earth and always feel like I'm drowning no matter what. I thought to give this a try and see if I might like it, but I dunno...

Everyone rants and raves about how good Tolkien's work is, but I always felt like it was only just above average? Like, sure, it's been three decades since I read the books and two since I watched the movies, but, eh, the setting never interested me as much as I heard other people talk about it. *shrug*

Maybe it's just the politics. I like RP but more when it involves people's emotions and personal stories. I dunno, I feel like I'm rambling now. I don't want anyone to think I don't appreciate your writing!

Hmmm, part of it might be that nobody really does the family drama well because the action parts of the story always capture attention.

If you look at Elrond as the brother who chose the Elvish path and Elros the brother who chose the mortal path (thus founding all the Numenoreans) you see this other element to the story.

Elrond was at the battle where Isildur struck the ring from Sauron's hand. Then he watched as his great great nephew failed to destroy it.

He watched his brother's children rise and fall in greatness over the centuries, when he chose the other path and remained not just unchanged but a respected leader.

He kept his nephew's sword for centuries and provided his brother's descendants shelter and protection waiting for one of then to finally take up the mantle. For one of them to assume their responsibility. And of course for centuries he was disappointed.

By the time Aragorn arrives he seems to have lost all hope in his brother's children. So now when you see Elrond attempt to manipulate his daughter into leaving, and not embracing his brother's mistake of embracing mortality, you can see a bigger dimension to it. His only daughter following his brother's foot steps.

You also get to see when they do marry two sides of family reunited after centuries of division. To me those are powerful personal elements but no one ever explores them.

Wow, that is quite powerful. I didn't know all of that, but yes it does put good perspective on things.

I do enjoy some of the lore of Middle Earth. But as I said, I'm often drowning in it. I like the amount of lore put into the video games (yes, I know 😛) Shadow Mordor and Shadow of War. It explores the fall of a good man into a Ring Wraith and the frailty of an Elf's pride (and subsequent subsuming with revenge).

It's a hard slog, but The Silmarillion is a good read to get more of the history of the First and Second ages of Middle Earth. Also, Unfinished Tales fills in some of the gaps (and is a much easier read than Silmarillion).

I've not read any of the further books that have been completed by Christopher Tolkien, but they flesh out the histories even further.

Also, slowly catching up on discussions while jet lag is still on my side, but I don't mind if folks find that their preferences for any aspect of this game (or any game!) vary or shift and want to drop out at any point. It's more than enough to just try a game and see and if things don't work out that's just how it is!

I have opinions on the other things mentioned, but they are just personal, biased opinions so they're not too important. I may write some stuff later (if I find the time) but it's mainly for chatting or to be transparent about my GMing, so my priority for pontificating is low :)