Out of Character thread

Vladim

2 hours ago, Eric said:

(...)

At least I'll get to eat my own dogfood when it comes to the TOR dice roller 😀

It's pretty good though it's for 2nd edition. It mostly works for 1st edition, with a couple of minor differences. So far it's been pretty good.

Timing of life is always a pain 😀 My daughter has a November 1 deadline to finish college apps, so being a good dad I'm making sure I spend time assisting with that instead of gaming. I'll be caught up no later than Thursday.

7 hours ago, Eric said:

Valour - check

Wisdom - check

Weapon - Long-hafted axes -> 3

Skills - Awareness -> 3 (12), Lore -> 1 (4), Persuade -> 1 (4); 2 AP left over

Shadow Points - I'll take 3 and bank the XP. This will be related to my backstory (which has yet to be written down but we discussed on Discord)

Ok, let me have a look... let's see:

• For every point of Valour and Wisdom above 1, you get one Reward or one Virtue (respectively). That means you start with 2 Rewards and 2 Virtues. You can choose from general Rewards/Virtues or cultural ones; usually the latter ones are a bit more flavorful and more powerful, but it depends on specifics. I recommend some bow upgrades if you want to focus on archery (Shepherd's bow and/or Grievous for extra damage output, Fell for better crits) and some Woodmen-specific virtues (e.g., Hound, or some healing ones if you want the healing).
  • The skill expertise on the underlined (favored) skills is incorrect; it's probably from a sheet copy-paste. Actually, you do get 4 favored (underlined) skills, but the mechanic is different. The char gen tool (azrapse.es/tor/sheet.html) should guide you towards choosing favored skills (I think they are determined by background, culture and calling). In 1st edition, favored skills do only 2 things: (1) give you a small discount to upgrade them and (2) when you burn a point of hope to improve a roll, you add your favored attribute (instead of the basic one). They're not a huge deal, basically, so choose what seems cool.
  • If you have Lore favored after all that, the 0 -> 1 upgrade would cost 3 APs instead of 4 (it's all on those cost tables I gave you a while back, they're somewhere in the rules section of the forum).
  • You need to pick gear, like the type of bow you want (basic or great bow-I recommend the latter, especially if archery is going to be your focus), armor (I recommend a Leather Corselet for an archer because you will hopefully not be on the frontline) and other accessories (shield, helm, more weapons etc-I don't recommend them). In TOR, gear can make you weary over journeys, and being weary sucks (all your rolls are penalized), so it's a trade-off (you don't simply grab the heaviest armor like in other RPGs). As Woodmen have low endurance, you also need to travel lighter than others. For a long-hafted axe (3), a great bow (3) and a leather corselet (8), your starting encumbrance is 3+3+8=14, leaving you a decent buffer between that and your total endurance (25 max endurance - 14 encumbrance = 11 points buffer; in practice, you can take a couple of hits before you become weary). Journeys will add extra fatigue on top of that (typically 2 points per failed roll for every few days on the road/wilds). As soon as your current endurance ('hit points') drops below your encumbrance +travel fatigue rating ('fatigue'), you become weary: all 1s, 2s and 3s on d6s count for 0.

Hope that all makes sense! Happy to help, as always!

Also Eric (sorry to poke you again) but that roll was an Extraordinary Success for lots of potential damage, so pick your target: the goblin fighting thesloth's character, or the other one fighting the NPC?

In TOR, levels of success are determined by the number of 6s rolled on the d6 pool:

no 6s: Basic success

A 6: Great success.

2+ 6s: Extraordinary success.

35 minutes ago, thesloth said:

I appreciate that, thank you!

I'll write the arrow coming after Eric's done the character updates, because depending on his choices, the hit may or may not be a couple of points short from outright killing the goblin (because Ernstyr has a... weak body; as in, a score of just 2).

Need to hit the gym more-maybe some protein shakes too!

23 minutes ago, thesloth said:

I think I finally got Dahr-Ol's sheet fully caught up.

Cool! I had a quick look. You probably need a bunch more Virtues and Rewards if Dahr-Ol's Valour/Wisdom are at 4. Since you get one for each point above 1 (so a character with 4 Valour and 4 Wisdom has 3 Rewards and 3 Virtues, which is more than your current 2/1).

I also remember we said to use Elfwyn as a 'Virtue' similar to the Woodmen's Hound of Mirkwood one. We discussed this a bit after Sentinel and (if I recall) everyone agreed it would be a good way to model this.

Additionally, can you include a purchases breakdown on your sheet somewhere? It helps me see if the upgrades are purchased and applied correctly, and I don't need to go chasing old threads to see how everything was 'leveled up' over the years.