Out of Character thread

Vladim

19 hours ago, Vladim said:

Cool! I had a quick look. You probably need a bunch more Virtues and Rewards if Dahr-Ol's Valour/Wisdom are at 4. Since you get one for each point above 1 (so a character with 4 Valour and 4 Wisdom has 3 Rewards and 3 Virtues, which is more than your current 2/1).

I also remember we said to use Elfwyn as a 'Virtue' similar to the Woodmen's Hound of Mirkwood one. We discussed this a bit after Sentinel and (if I recall) everyone agreed it would be a good way to model this.

Additionally, can you include a purchases breakdown on your sheet somewhere? It helps me see if the upgrades are purchased and applied correctly, and I don't need to go chasing old threads to see how everything was 'leveled up' over the years.

I found our final AP tally in my old character thread. https://og.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=454308

The 30 points don't evenly divide into what I wanted so I had 6 AP to bank. I remember Elfwynn being discussed as a virtue. But I can't find the discussion text wise anywhere. Other than my note in the character thread for Dahr-Ol. How do the hounds work again?

54 minutes ago, thesloth said:

I found our final AP tally in my old character thread. https://og.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=454308

The 30 points don't evenly divide into what I wanted so I had 6 AP to bank. I remember Elfwynn being discussed as a virtue. But I can't find the discussion text wise anywhere. Other than my note in the character thread for Dahr-Ol. How do the hounds work again?

It's in the Woodmen section of the book. I need to pick up my family today but give me a few days and I'll try to help a bit with the sheet, and check everything as well.

Same. Lachiel wants Cecil to be safe, not a warrior. Sure, if he can stand up for himself and do well, he'll get commended on it. But otherwise she just wants him to remain as pure ad possible. For Lachiel, Hobbits represent what is right about Middle Earth; untainted by the shadow.

19 hours ago, Modest_Proposal said:

I don't intend on Cecil being some kind of pacifist. And if him not directly engaging in the first combat is just annoying or should be hurried along, let me know.

Oh, it's fine for me. I am anyway not super-fond of the average D&D playstyle of murderhobos, so I think you're doing a pretty good job. The first combat experiences should have some kind of meaning for the character, like when Bilbo kills that spider in Mirkwood in the Hobbit, so I think you're doing a great job portraying that, and setting up the stage for some good characterization & development.

More long-term, I usually put the onus of explaining why PCs decide to go 'adventuring' to their players, especially after their first adventure, but I also try to provide hooks and suggestions where possible. Right now, I think Cecil's motivations are such that his presence is justified, and he has some reasons to stay with the party and go to the Gladden, but I am happy to brainstorm or let you do what you want for future adventures.

@thesloth for that (failed) protection test, you could also spend a point of hope to add Dahr-Ol's body score to the result, which would turn the roll into a success. Otherwise, Dahr-Ol will take a wound.

Also, started looking into updating Dahr-Ol here: Helping with Dahr-Ol's sheet - Archive - Myth-Weavers

@Modest_Proposal if Cecil is simply warning the Woodmen about the fire, but not taking any physical actions to put it out (such as trying to find and carry water), there's no need for an Athletics check. The warning simply reduces any Athletics check TNs to 10, due to the help received by any summoned villagers.

On 11/8/2023 at 9:20 PM, Vladim said:

Oh, it's fine for me. I am anyway not super-fond of the average D&D playstyle of murderhobos, so I think you're doing a pretty good job. The first combat experiences should have some kind of meaning for the character, like when Bilbo kills that spider in Mirkwood in the Hobbit, so I think you're doing a great job portraying that, and setting up the stage for some good characterization & development.

More long-term, I usually put the onus of explaining why PCs decide to go 'adventuring' to their players, especially after their first adventure, but I also try to provide hooks and suggestions where possible. Right now, I think Cecil's motivations are such that his presence is justified, and he has some reasons to stay with the party and go to the Gladden, but I am happy to brainstorm or let you do what you want for future adventures.

I do think the Gladden Fields motivation is/was enough for now, considering it's in their crosshairs. Future motivations will develop with time.

---

With the following bit of post, my intention was to show Cecil looking for buckets and other means of extinguishing the fire:

"Cecil redirected his attention toward the river, looking for buckets, carts, and cart animals along the way"

@Eric I was going through your sheet to update the live stats here and I found some minor errors; please feel free to fix them at your convenience!

• Advancement Points should be 2 (left over from char-gen).
  • Experience should be 3 (from the 3 Shadow points taken during char-gen).
  • Total experience should be 29 (starting characters are Valour/Wisdom 2/1 or vice versa, so starting at 3/3 Valour/Wisdom is 6 XP (Valour 2->3) + 4 XP (Wisdom 1->2) + 6 XP (Wisdom 2->3) + 4 XP (axe 1 ->2) + 6 XP (Axe 2->3)+ 3 XP from Shadow = 29 XP total).
  • Shadow points should be 3 (temporary).
  • In the war gear section, better use the Great Bow stats (damage 7, edge 10, Injury 16, load 3).
  • In the Armour/Shield section, you want to add your cunning-make Leather Corselet (protection 2d, encumbrance 6).
  • Below that, your parry should be 7, your damage 2 and your ranged 2.
  • You may add Mountain-Hall or Rhosgobel (your choice) as a sanctuary. Whatever feels closer to home to Ernstyr.

I think that is all!