Year 2950: A Darkness in the Marshes

Vladim

spacer.png
The meeting with her companions should've been one of joy or at least relief. Instead, Lachiel found herself deep in thought and unsure of how to proceed. She let much of the conversations go on without her, for she hadn't much to contribute to them anyhow. She did listen to the retelling of the Brandybuck rescue and the impending doom Dhar-Ol hinted at.

Breaking into the darkening conversation, Lachiel hoped to steer spirits to better places.

"That is quite some tale to hear it. I have only encountered one band of Goblins on the edges of Mirkwood, many a year ago. Most of my time comes from the Uruk and freeing my home of their evils."

The woman looked into the distance wistfully for a moment, recalling simpler times when her duty subsumed her life choices. She shook her head and came back to the moment. "I agree that our task seems most important in the misty mires to the south. However, I would ask you all for a small consideration before the journey begins."

The Elven warrior spun her spear haft in her hands idly while taking in a calming breath. "I spent time looking over Hartfast's granddaughter." Her eyes looked from each of her companions, then finally to Hartfast himself. "She is in dire condition, I fear. Poisoned by the very Goblins you hope to drown in the mines. I haven't the supplies nor the proper practice to ensure she lives. If Mirkwood were near, I would say otherwise, but alas we haven't the time to scour the mountains for what is needed. Instead, I ask to stay behind and do what I can to save her, treating her wounds daily. I know what this means for the request from Radagast, yet still I ask. It is important we fight the shadow, not only in arms but also in heart." She smiled warmly at the old man, hoping to lift his spirits with hope.

"I will do it alone if needs must, but another pair of hands would increase the chances of her surviving, as well as speed the process along."

Cecil Brandybuck

Dindy was quiet for a Brandybuck. Very shy…. He came home a few years ago with gifts for the children and a black shield on his back. I spotted him from my boat; otherwise, I wouldn't have believed it, for before anyone else saw him, he'd slipped behind Bilbo’s door - a traveling hobbit himself, with his pack and a bottle of wine. There they spoke all night, and in the morning, they sat together by the river, looking East. He made no fuss when he returned to us in Buckland. He only wanted to sleep.” Cecil recounted, looking toward the point of Lachiel’s spear.

“He screamed - in his sleep. I have never heard such a scream. Not a Brandybuck spoke of it when he woke or when he left, nor hence..."

"His gifts were thrown into the river."

He sat in silence.

“I do not understand. How could such useless hate endure in this world? If goblins are as you say, then I am not prepared to meet them.” 

Lachiel’s words further pressed against him. He felt the tug of regret and bewilderment, like a plant torn from its roots. He reached back to conversation from a lighter time, not that long ago.

“Loth…lorien…. Lothlorien.” He whispered again under his breath and looked to Lachiel. “How far South is Lothlorien? Could you travel there by river? I’ve heard stories of the Elves where they live, that they can spin the venom of a spider into silk. Is that true?” 

Edited by Modest_Proposal (see edit history)

Chapter 2: The Harrowed Hall

Scene 11: A rude awakening

Time: Early summer 2950 T.A. Fifteen days since the departure from Rhosgobel. Past midnight.

spacer.pngAs the company spoke on, a sudden noise suddenly came from outside: a muffled cry of alarm.

Belgo, the Lake-Town boy that was quickly growing into a man, and Gramtyng's squire, was one of the first to notice it. He fell silent and harkened, and his strange demeanor made others do the same.

"Did you hear that? Something is amiss..."

At first the voice was faint and distant, but soon enough it grew in intensity. Goblins! The cries were unmistakable now, and closer to the Great Hall.

Elfwyn readied spear and shield, and Núr, son of Dridek, raced to his master's side. What had happened? None could yet say, but perhaps battle was upon them.

OOC

There's no initiative in TOR; at least, not in the same was as D&D, but nevertheless, feel free to describe your characters' reactions. If they go outside, give me an Awareness check (TN 16 for the darkness).

Sorry to interrupt the RP and discussions, but we will return to it, I promise :)

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

Dahr-Ol started at the cry of alarm. Perhaps the goblins had forced everyone's hand. He drew his axe from his belt.

"Elfwynn, they may be upon us. We will fight as we did against the wargs.

Cecil, you may stay inside if you like. If you come with us, stay a pace behind Elfwynn and guard her left side as she guards mine."

Dahr-Ol and Elfwynn exited the hall weapons drawn. Three paces from the door they stopped to look and listen, assessing the situation.

Name
Awareness
[3] (6) = 9
tor(1,no) 3,6

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

As the clamour of battle grew outside, Barin, along with the rest of the company stirred into action.

"To Arms! To Arms!" he bellowed as loud as a Dwarf could, "We are attacked! To Arms!".

Tightening the straps on his buckler, he grabbed his two-handed fell axe and strode for the entrance to the hall. "Núr", he yelled back, "Stay with those unable to fight. Defend the hall at all costs."

Pausing at the doorway to the hall, he chanced a quick glance outside to get see the flow of the battle whilst waiting for the remainder of the company and Hartfast's people to ready themselves.

spacer.pngAs some of the companions readied themselves and begun to venture outside, Fundor joined his kinsman Barin and spoke urgently, with a voice that, though hushed, betrayed great concern.

"The mine! They must have penetrated the defenses. Our kinsfolk were there. We must go to their aid now!"

Gramtyng, son of Fastredspacer.png

Riders of Rohan | Standard of Living: MartialCallingTraits | AP: 1 | XP: 5 | DP: 0

Valour: 4 | Wisdom: 4 | End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 2 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8) | Heart 5 (7)| Wits 4 (5) | Weapons | War Gear | Equipment | Songs

The bard turned to look back at the fire as Elfwyn voiced what she's been considering. The fire soothed his thoughts, and helped listen to the beorning's tale without interrupting. However grim, Cecil deserved to know. After that, Gramtyng listened to Lachiel's report attentively, his face taking on a dark countenance. Fight the shadow... And what of the wizard, who sent them to fight it with blade? What could be done for the child, apart from comforting her - which her grandfather could do better than you? Questions he wanted to throw at the elf, but never voiced. The bard exhaled sharply and tapped his fingers on the table, thinking. No antidote. He'd have easily given his right hand to be severed if Hartfast asked for it, but what could be done when he was no healer? Gramtyng growled, and as if responding to his master's frustrations, Dunir rapped at his shoulder with his beak and dove at the pack he'd left on the floor, tapping it, then cocking his head and staring up at the rohirrim with a shiny eye. He cawed, a sharp noise, then flew up at his shoulder and repeated the process. "The bag?" He murmured, reaching towards it and picking through the contents. The bird picked at a sealed vial, and then he remembered. Mab's draught.

Belgo's cry caused Gramtyng to rise from his chair, Cenegeslit pulled from its sheathe with a hiss of steel. It took but a moment to pull his shield from his back. "Belgo, bring my bow and torches." He barked the order. "We've got our work cut out for us in the dark." He would have to remember to praise his squire for his keen ears later. "Old man, see if you can get the Hall barricaded to make it a bulwark for sheltering others." But for now, the bard darted outside, shield raised.

OOC/Actions/Rolls*

Spending 1 Hope to raise my Awareness to 16

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)
Name
Awareness
[10] (1) = 11
tor(1,no) 10,1

spacer.png
Where some of the others might have hesitated in a moment of action, Lachiel was made for war. It was necessary in Mirkwood as it was all over Middle Earth. Battle was second nature to her.

Moving with swift, grace-filled motions, Lachiel had her spear and shield in her hands the moment the call came.

"To battle!" she cried. "Stay together and do not tarry! Our greatest strength is our unity! Cecil, if you enter battle stay behind me!" she added as she dashed outside into the starlight.

Fighting the Shadow brought the solidarity of purpose back to Lachiel; she knew what to do here as it came as naturally as speaking to the river and trees.

OOC

I think Folk of the Dusk is going to play a factor here. I'll roll first and see what happens.

Okay, definitely spending a point of Hope to add 8 to that since it's night. Gives me a 19 total.

Name
Awareness
[4] (4,3) = 11
tor(2,no) 4,4,3

Cecil Brandybuck

As the call came, Cecil looked up about the ceiling. Goblins were less creatures than shadows to him now. He no longer could picture them clearly. They took the form of whatever crack or window was out of sight, or shape of doubt in his mind. 

The mines... Had goblins been watching?

He skid his chair against the clatter, rising as he did, and placed his palm above his hilt. Somebody had called his name, he was sure of it. “Stay a pace behind Elfwynn…” Dahr-Ol passed.

He could not move.

Another spoke, this time more calmly.“Cecil, if you enter battle stay behind me.” Lachiel's hair in motion was like spitting fire.

With this, he loosened a bit and began to follow. His vision was wild and tangled and he felt as if he would be crushed as they funneled toward the mine. "I am...I am here." He could think of nothing else to say.

Edited by Modest_Proposal (see edit history)
Name
Awareness
[4] (1,1) = 6
tor(2,no) 4,1,1

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Quickly the companions sprang into action, leaving behind Núr and the innkeeper to barricade the Great House (4) and to defend it. Determined to rush to the mines (6), the rest ran outside with Fundor, and as soon as all had passed under the doors, many things happened at once.

First, the deafening roar of a mighty war-horn filled the air, sounding an alarm that could surely be heard not only everywhere in the village, but also well beyond its borders. The sound emanated from the Burg (7): the tall tower that stood just north of the Great Hall, and where watchmen were always posted in these times of troubles.

spacer.pngSecond, they soon saw the Woodman that had cried the first warning. It was Aldraeg, one of the door-wardens that they had encountered upon their arrival. He stood outside the store house (5), and already one wretched goblin lay broken at his feet, but he had to contend with three more that had managed to surround and outflank him. He fought desperately, for a moment holding them at bay, too preoccupied with the defense to raise any new cries. But it was a losing battle, and it would not be long before he fell to their superior numbers.

Third, there was a faint scent of smoke in the summer air, though in the dark, it was impossible to see where the smoke was. But the smell came from the trading house (5): the building just opposite to the Great Hall, where earlier that day Gramtyng had found Magric.

Fourth, the keen eyes of Gramtyng and Lachiel, looking around, could see something that the rest were blind to: shrouded by the darkness, the vague silhouettes of a trio of goblins were making their way along the steep mountain slope to the east of the hall. They were already far away, almost outside of bowshot, but not completely-not yet. But it would take a steady hand and a good eye to pick them off.

OOC: Round 1

-1 Hope to Gramtyng and Lachiel. Stats in the first page updated.

The company is currently gathered just outside the Great Hall (4). Aldraeg is fighting three goblins just outside the Trading Post (5), not far from the company. The smell of smoke is coming from the same building. The sound of the giant war-horn came from the Burg (7).

A few obvious options here:

• You may join the fray to help Aldraeg; if so, you can (a) roll Battle (TN 12) for bonus die during this combat encounter; (b) perform an opening volley if you have a ranged weapon; (c) select a stance (Forward, Open, Defensive or Rearward) and perform an attack or other action.
  • Lachiel and/or Gramtyng have seen the climbing goblins and may shoot at them with bows; it’s a TN 20 for normal bows and a TN 18 for great bows, given their superior range. Each PC only gets one shot (or two for Great Bows, but the second at TN 20) before the goblins move out of bowshot completely. Lachiel and/or Gramtyng may also inform other PCs of the climbing goblins ('free action'), in which case the other PCs can also make a bow shot (but cannot take other actions).
  • Perform another action, like rush to the mines (6; Athletics TN 14).
  • PCs that do not join combat but stay outside (i.e., not fall back to the Great Hall) should describe their actions. I may ask them to roll accordingly.

Good luck!

Ernstyr of Rhosgobel

Strange rumours had come today: word of travellers that had journeyed all the way from Rhosgobel, which Ernstyr had once called home. Not only that: but his friend Brermód, who was a door-warden, had said that they had come at the behest of the Brown Wizard himself, though they had not said for what purpose.

Certainly, he could have found out by simply asking around, or just speaking to them directly, but these visitors had come in the evening. Duty prevented him from seeking answers, for he could not leave his post: his was the task of keeping guard atop the Burg until the deep watches of the night.

Everyone in Mountain-Hall was uneasy since the goblins had first attacked two nights prior. A small band had snuck through the mines, and they had wounded the chieftain’s daughter gravely, but they had not achieved much before they were cut down. Still, the dwarves spoke of continued digging in the mines, and of more goblins trying to sneak through the tunnels. Another attack seemed imminent, and all knew it.

And so it happened. It was past midnight when he heard Aldraeg’s cry go up, and at once Ernstyr went into the tower. On the topmost floor, hanging from the roof with a pair of great gilded chains, was the Great Horn of Firienseld, the greatest treasure of the Woodmen of Mountain-Hall, carved from dragon-bone. Without a moment’s delay or hesitation, he placed his lips upon it and sounded a great alarm, before returning outside, and scanning the village down below.

OOC

Welcome aboard @Eric. I’ve made some assumptions for introducing Ernstyr to the scene. I hope that I didn’t take too many liberties or assumed actions he would not take, but if so, let me know and I can edit. From now on, you can have full narrative control of him.

If you’re happy with the character intro, start by giving me an Awareness check, Target Number (TN) 16.

Feel free to also finalize your character sheet. As I said to the other new players (Modest Proposal and Malkavian Grin, who joined in April), new PCs can start with 3 Valour, 3 Wisdom, a weapon skill automatically set at 3, and 22 Advancement Points to be spent on improving Common Skills, as detailed here. You may also, at your discretion, take up to 6 starting (temporary) Shadow Points, to represent hardships, difficulties or trauma. In exchange, you can award yourself experience on a 1-for-1 basis. Said XP can be spent or banked for later.

Enjoy!

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

His blood began to boil as he saw Aldreaeg outnumbered and battling mightily.

"Elfwynn, there by the storehouse!"

Dahr-Ol assessed the situation as he ran forward.

Name
Battle TN 12 I will post combat actions in a follow on post
[3] (3,2) = 8
tor(2,no) 3,3,2