The Tomb

hoverfrog

15 hours ago, Vedast said:

Some clarifications since we are now on the tactical map:

1. How are we doing initiative? Group, individual or ... ?

2. Are the squares 5'?

3. Is the "leader" of the "GT's" -- my abbreviation for what I'm calling 'goblin trolls' for lack of a better term -- apparent?

As the range has closed to such an extent, Razvan is thinking of making an Intimidation (Demoralize) attempt using the Intimidating Glare feat to bypass the language issue. It would be best, presumably, to target the leader.

LATER ADD: I asked about initiative, but we weren't asked to roll so ... can we act at this point outside of initiative? That being said, we'll need to know the desired procedure eventually.

WRT initiative, I tend to use block initiative. If you decide to fight the goblin trolls then I'll roll for them. Anyone who beats them gets to act, followed by the GTs, then the whole party gets to act.

Squares are 5'

The "leader" is just the one who is speaking. He doesn't look significantly different to the others.

Until someone initiates combat, you're not in initiative and needn't roll...unless you want to roll in preparation.

I was presuming that the 'leader' might be the one speaking and the one who attacked the other at the mound/pit. Just seemed natural to consider any attempt at intimidation/demoralization might target that one in hopes that the others might follow even if they are all the same from a mechanics point of view.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

@hoverfrog

Is the Tower door still closed at this point, specifically at Razvan's initiative?

If so, Razvan would likely assume that the door is locked and that his Actions should be directed towards the troblins (nice conflation, btw).

18 minutes ago, Vedast said:

@hoverfrog

Is the Tower door still closed at this point, specifically at Razvan's initiative?

If so, Razvan would likely assume that the door is locked and that his Actions should be directed towards the troblins (nice conflation, btw).

The door is not fully closed but hasn't been flung open yet. The guard only had enough actions to retrieve his weapon from the table.

@hoverfrog Another rules question that will certainly be upcoming: specifically, the number of Interact Actions required to draw two weapons "simultaneously."

I tried searching about this. From what I can tell:

• the consensus from a RAW perspective is that two Interact Actions are needed to draw two weapons.
  • that a not uncommon home-brew ruling on this is that two weapons can be drawn with a single Interact Action as long as:
    • the weapons (or at least one of them) are Agile and/or
    • one has a feat related to fighting with two weapons.

Since this is exactly how Razvan is built (secondarily - his primary orientation is ranged) for melee, I thought it best to clarify now in advance of making assumptions in a post and having to retract/modify.

4 minutes ago, Vedast said:

@hoverfrog Another rules question that will certainly be upcoming: specifically, the number of Interact Actions required to draw two weapons "simultaneously."

I tried searching about this. From what I can tell:

• the consensus from a RAW perspective is that two Interact Actions are needed to draw two weapons.
  • that a not uncommon home-brew ruling on this is that two weapons can be drawn with a single Interact Action as long as:
    • the weapons (or at least one of them) are Agile and/or
    • one has a feat related to fighting with two weapons.

Since this is exactly how Razvan is built (secondarily - his primary orientation is ranged) for melee, I thought it best to clarify now in advance of making assumptions in a post and having to retract/modify.

Given that it is an interact action to change your grip on a weapon, I'd have to say it is an action to draw each weapon. The Quick Draw and Duelist's Edge feats will speed this up considerably.

6 minutes ago, hoverfrog said:

Given that it is an interact action to change your grip on a weapon, I'd have to say it is an action to draw each weapon. The Quick Draw and Duelist's Edge feats will speed this up considerably.

Ok. Fair enough. I'll have to plan around that.

I don't believe that Razvan will have access to either of those feats you mention. My builder plan for him tentatively has the Rogue archetype taken at 8th level ... but that's quite a ways down the road, even assuming he survives that long!

I'll also assume that I can move through the partially open door without an Interact Action to "open" it ... but let me know otherwise as the Action economy here is a bit tight. My plan is to: "Move" into the tower; go into Point Blank Shot stance; take one shot at the guard. But obviously, that won't work if another Action is needed to effect the placement of the character.

I gave some thought to attempting a Grapple, but that would have necessitated dropping the bow; attempting an Athletics Check at +6 (vs. the bow shot at +10) against the guard's Fort DC (rather than their AC). On balance, I hoped that the chance of a critical on the bow fire (and thus an extra 1d10 of 'deadly' damage) outweighed the likelihood of a successful Grapple.

Of course, as it turned out with a mediocre die roll, Razvan may or may not have hit with that bow shot (hits an AC of 18) but almost surely would have failed on the Grapple attempt.

At least, this way, the guard can't lock the door and maybe getting fired at or hit by an arrow might make him default to fighting rather than running off to alert others (and possibly getting a back shot).

But, yes, I was 'serious' about the possibility of using the guard, dead or alive, as a distraction or appeasement for the Tombstone Trolls. I suppose Sal could munch on an arm or calf. Of course, the following is obligatory in the current situation:

My Top 5 Frozen Pizzas | Autostraddle

I can always try to grapple the guard if I can get to him within one stride action, though that seems somewhat unlikely. I'm not sure I can see where he is on the map, especially with Razvan going through the door. It seems like I'll have to settle for trying to hold off the trolly boys.

1 minute ago, VennDygrem said:

I can always try to grapple the guard if I can get to him within one stride action, though that seems somewhat unlikely. I'm not sure I can see where he is on the map, especially with Razvan going through the door. It seems like I'll have to settle for trying to hold off the trolly boys.

Razvan purposely stepped to the side, so square F8 is clear: Razvan should be either in E8 or G8 if possible: I can't quite make out the furnishings from the image.

In any case, Razvan was certainly aware of the need to 'make a lane' for others to follow. That was explicit in my post.

14 hours ago, Vedast said:

Razvan purposely stepped to the side, so square F8 is clear: Razvan should be either in E8 or G8 if possible: I can't quite make out the furnishings from the image.

In any case, Razvan was certainly aware of the need to 'make a lane' for others to follow. That was explicit in my post.

The guard is currently Hidden from the party. You are Undetected for the guard.