Questions

Blue Jay

13 minutes ago, Divinedragonslayer said:

I actually plan on using a sabertooth club with a druid focused on cold spells. I'm actually going to go for a primeval druid if things work out right. But we'll see.

That's such a delightfully silly weapon, isn't it? How are you supposed to swing it so the teeth hit first?

8 hours ago, Blue Jay said:

My argument is that, by RAI, it doesn't multiply Dex for two-handed use. The feat says you can use Dex in place of Str. Then it talks about dividing Dex for off-hand use, but it does not talk about multiplying Dex for two-handed use. It seems like, if that was their intention, they ought to have mentioned it; since they thought it was important to mention the dividing thing.

And, from my perspective, the purpose of approving this feat isn't to make Shadow Hand "more viable" or to let Dex-based characters emulate Str-based ones. Shadow Hand is plenty viable the way it is, and swordsages certainly don't need the help. It's never supposed to be about making already-powerful options more powerful. For me, it's more about helping the rogues and swashbucklers with their daggers and rapiers; or the two-weapon rangers who can't afford to put more than a 15 in their most important stat.

Sorry it was late here, I was talking about your unremitting hatred for the chain in my last post not about the broader feat discussion. Not counting 2 handed use makes sense (and I'm not saying that just because I forget to add it with the Str anyway 😅).

10 hours ago, Inash said:

I lost track of if I asked this already and I can't find the answer in the banned/allowed lists so...

Can I use the Oslecamo Half-Giant class?

Desired character link

I thought I would finally make that arcane archer I've been kicking around my head for a while.

As the Half-Giant race can be found in a multitude of books (I.e: SRD, Races of..., Eberron, etc...) I highly doubt the oslecamo version would be allowed. Even moreso when the SRD version that is already allowed is actually more powerful than the oslecamo version.

On 4/28/2024 at 6:30 PM, Blue Jay said:

That's such a delightfully silly weapon, isn't it? How are you supposed to swing it so the teeth hit first?

Keep it at the recommended 38-degree angle?

Mostly I just want powerful build without the dex penalty.

Edit: I'd missed (at least yesterday when I was re-looking at this) the con to natural armor bonus

Edited by Inash (see edit history)

I have a rule question on monster classes and growing large or larger.

The oslecamo rule is that if your character doesn't want to grow to a larger size, they can choose to take a +2 to a physical ability score in it's place.

With the RLA project when the opportunity to grow larger using Blue Jay's Savage Progression. Could we choose to simply remain size medium no bonus or penalty, simply just remain medium? The RLA Savage progression doesn't give any additional bonuses due to size changes, since the ability scores are set by monster level.

Also I noted on the House Rules Monster section.

On 9/24/2023 at 12:20 AM, Blue Jay said:

(Monster Manual 2)

Even though the newer, psionic thri-kreen from Expanded Psionics Handbook exists, players can still choose to use the non-psionic thri-kreen from the earlier Monster Manual 2. This thri-kreen variant has LA +1.

(Monster Manual 2)

Even though the newer, psionic thri-kreen from Expanded Psionics Handbook exists, players can still choose to use the non-psionic thri-kreen from the earlier Monster Manual 2. This thri-kreen variant has LA +1.

Would it be best to simply leave it ECL 2 (No LA) for the non-psionic thri-kreen?
RLA Project has the psionic thri-kreen at 2hd and LA +1.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, Divinedragonslayer said:

If I buy a riding dog can that animal later become my animal companion? Also can riding dogs be war trained?

Riding Dogs are not considered war trained, and it mentions training them for war, so they should qualify for warbeast template.

Riding Dog

Combat

If trained for war, these animals can make trip attacks just as wolves do (see the Wolf entry). A riding dog can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check.

43 minutes ago, Divinedragonslayer said:

If I buy a riding dog can that animal later become my animal companion? Also can riding dogs be war trained?

No reason you can't fluff a pet becoming an AC later.

I definitely took the War Beast template on a Riding Dog AC, so that's fine.