Storm Kings Thunder, Chapter 1 (IC)

A Great Upheaval

1073e833bbf1c96ccddc9e97cc7bde2d.jpg.f13f7bdf4ec67f498cb6d942d5f0de6c.jpg

You've been travelling along the high road for days. As evening approaches, you spot a wooden signpost next to a trail that heads north into the hills. Nailed to the post are three arrow-shaped signs. The two marked "Waterdeep" and "Daggerford" follow the high road but point in opposite directions. the third, marked "Nightstone" beckons you to follow the trail. If memory serves, Nightstone is roughly ten miles up the trail.

Rain pours from the sky as you traverse the trail upward toward your destination. The soft scent of pine and clay-like dirt beneath your feet are a reminder of how far you have come. With your companions not far from view and a half day's travel between you and Nightstone the small hamlet will be a sight to behold after such a long journey. Soaked through to the bone and chilled by the alpine winds that surround you; there is time to converse with your companions while you travel.

Weather & Effects

Weather: Raining: -4 penalty on Spot, Search, Ranged Attacks, & Listen checks. Visibility is Halved.

Time: Mid-Afternoon

Temperature: Slightly Chilly

Wind: Light, 4-6 mph

Edited by IWantBapo (see edit history)

RikTikTavi.jpg.b7c940462fd4d752461f9e7fb4366a19.jpg Mar'che'chok

Nezumi, Scout (1) || Psychic Warrior (1)

AC: 16 (chain shirt + dex) | HP: 11/11 (1d9) | Speed: 40 ft.

Touch AC: 12 | Flat Footed AC: 14
Senses: Spot: +6, Listen: +6, Search: +4
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 08 (-1)
Languages: Common, Nezumi

My words, | My thoughts, | My actions . . .

Once they stepped through the portal, Mar'che'chok introduced himself to the others. When he pronounces his name, the ' parts come out as a kind of clicking K due to his speech and he is fins with the group calling him Mark because of it.

I a scout for tribe. I be scout for group?

He is a lot nervous as he has not had much interaction with humans or elves. At least he thinks they are elves. They look different than elves he has seen. In his home his kind are frowned upon by other races and often attacked on site as it is assumed they are thieves and scavengers. And to an extent they are, but that is mostly due to how they are treated. They have no choice.

Later on as the trip wears on and he is totally wet and cold,

Ugh. We stay in this area for long, Mark have to get better clothes. My home more warm.

OOC

image.png.415004242352ea233dfb6de600fd9e41.png

Sheet: Adrianna Amore :: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e :: Myth-Weavers Online Character Sheets

Name: Adrianna Amore

Classes: Healer 3//Spirit Shaman 3

Race: Aasimar (Lesser)

Adrianna was fed up of the wet and cold, the guy with the strange name then said he could track "hey Mark, I can do that as well. We should work together, I am Adrianna by the way. My mother was part celestial so I am what is called a "lesser aasimar", I speak their tongue as well as being able to write it" she says. This poor weather and being soaked and then chilled by the breeze was not helping, Adrianna wished she had brought a horse.

707d7af93f3e4113b2782c25fbf74dcb.jpeg.jpg.2c112df9667679ce749109eefe137d51.jpg

Name: Gelfin Shadowborn

Race: Fey'ri

Class: Warlock 3//LA+2/Rogue 1

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Gelfin walks his horse through the portal and was curious that others had not brought their horses with them. Did they think the journey would be short, or perhaps they had been unable to secure themselves a horse. He certainly had zero intention of leaving Shadow behind at the Tavern. He shuddered at the cost of leaving them boarded as well as the thought of not being around them. Their bond was strong, and he spoke comforting to them as the effect of stepping through the portal set them on edge.

He glances over at his companions as they introduced themselves. He gives them a lopsided grin as he introduces himself "My name is Gelfin, as for what I am, I believe the term used is Fey'ri. My father used some more colorful words but what do you expect from a demon. As for what I can do" with a snap of his fingers his hand was sheathed in crackling Eldritch energy. 'I guess you could say I am a blast at a party" this flippant response was delivered with a rather self deprecating grin upon his face, he obviously did not take himself too seriously. "My companion here is Shadow, though he is not much of a conversationalist but a great listener. If we all play our cards right we just might get through this alive and a little bit richer.

With introductions made, he mounts Shadow and settles in waiting for everyone to be ready to move out.

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2865564][B][SIZE=+1]Gelfin Shadowborn[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Male Chaotic Neutral Fey'ri Rogue/Warlock, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 18/18, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 14, [B]Fort[/B] 1, [B]Ref[/B] 7, [B]Will[/B] 4, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 2 [B]Least Crystal Arcane Steel/ Hideous Blow MW Short Sword [/B] 3 (1d6 +1 +2d6, ) [B]Eldritch Spear Eldritch Blast [/B] +5 (2d6, ) [B] Mithril Chainshirt[/B] (+4 Armor, +3 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16 [B]Condition[/B] None
Gelfin Shadowborn
Male Chaotic Neutral Fey'ri Rogue/Warlock, Level 3, Init 3, HP 18/18, Speed 30
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, Fort 1, Ref 7, Will 4, Base Attack Bonus 2
Least Crystal Arcane Steel/ Hideous Blow MW Short Sword 3 (1d6 +1 +2d6, )
Eldritch Spear Eldritch Blast +5 (2d6, )
Mithril Chainshirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16
Condition None

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)

Orcbolgbymidiankai.jpg.96dd5d9e107a746a402ece31b746afd6.jpg

Orcbolg hangs to the back of the party, his eyes under his helmet constantly swaying from side to side scanning the forest, his free hand resting on the hilt of his short sword. "I am Orcbolg, and I can scout as well, but I am more focused on general survival, tracking, and getting through the wilderness unnoticed." He nods to Gelfin's statement. "May we all make it home alive and intact."

Stat Block

[URL=/sheets/?id=2839870][B][SIZE=+1]Orcbolg[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Male Neutral Human Ranger, Spell-less 3//Scout 3, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 27/27, [B]Speed[/B] 50 [B]AC[/B] 18, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 5, [B]Ref[/B] 6, [B]Will[/B] 2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 3 [B] Masterwork Dwarven Buckler Axe [/B] +6 (1d6+2, x3) [B] Masterwork Shortsword [/B] +6 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2) [B] TWF Full Attack [/B] +4/+4 (1d6+2/1d6+1, x3/19-20x2) [B] Masterwork Chain Shirt[/B], [B] Masterwork Dwarven Buckler Axe[/B] (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 8 [B]Condition[/B] None
Orcbolg
Male Neutral Human Ranger, Spell-less 3//Scout 3, Level 3, Init 3, HP 27/27, Speed 50
AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, Fort 5, Ref 6, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 3
Masterwork Dwarven Buckler Axe +6 (1d6+2, x3)
Masterwork Shortsword +6 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2)
TWF Full Attack +4/+4 (1d6+2/1d6+1, x3/19-20x2)
Masterwork Chain Shirt , Masterwork Dwarven Buckler Axe (+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 8
Condition None

Edited by DragonFriend (see edit history)

A Great Upheaval

Rain continues to pour down from above as you venture forth throughout the evening. Eventually you begin to hear the sound of a bell tolling in the distance, a clear sign of civilization. After another hour of hiking you finally lay eyes on Nightstone; it appears to be intact.

Wind whips rain into your eyes as you peer into the distance; beyond the canopy of rainfall lays your destination. As you draw closer small details begin to come into view and it is obvious that something has gone awry. Once you arrive at what appears to be the entrance to the hamlet you are able to discern the situation more clearly. The draw bridge appears to be raised with no way to lower it from your side of the moat, furthermore what appears to be a temple's bell continues to ring from the other side of the palisade that blocks your view of Nightstone; it will be difficult to hear one another until it is dealt with. The current weather will make traversing the moat quite dangerous, one slip and you may find yourselves at the bottom dealing with turbulent currents.

It has become dusk since having set out on your journey and the time spent in the rain has done nothing but slow your progress. Now that you have arrived at Nightstone your first challenge will be to find a way inside.

Weather & Effects

Weather: Raining: -4 penalty on Spot, Search, Ranged Attacks, & Listen checks. Visibility is Halved.

Time: Dusk, Low-Light.

Temperature: Chilly.

Edited by IWantBapo
Wisps/Whips (see edit history)

Sheet: Adrianna Amore :: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e :: Myth-Weavers Online Character Sheets

Adrianna stared at the raised drawbridge and said "really, I am seriously wet and now we might have to swim across". Using her loudest voice possible she shouts "HAIL NIGHTSTONE, WE SEEK SHELTER" and she watches and listens for a response.

Name
Listen and Spot at -4
20; 21
1d20+4;1d20+4 [16]; [16,17]

image.png.739a50a69b9e75b6f95c603a3d255c9c.png

Statblock

Aravari Revenmar
Female Chaotic Good Human Cleric 1 / Ninja 2 // Rogue 2 / Swashbuckler 1
Level 3, Init 3, HP 27/27, Speed 40 ft
AC 16, Touch 16, Flat-footed 13
Fort 4, Ref 8, Will 6, Base Attack Bonus 2   
MW Kukri +4/+4 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
MW Kukri +6 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
Longbow (20 Arrows) +3 (1d8, x3)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
Condition None 

Aravari was silent as the others introduced themselves. Aravari could scout, but so could everyone else. And she wasn't particularly suited to the forest as she was a native of the wastes.

The rain continued to patter when she finally had a chance to introduce herself. "I'm Aravari, an Antiquarian, so I've some knowledge about history and religion. Nice to meet you all." 

That would be about all she said before they reached Nightstone. Aravari could barely hear Adrianna with the ringing from the temple's bell. "I'm not the greatest swimmer," said Aravari. "Maybe if we had some rope, and a strong swimmer or grappling hook, we could cross the moat more safely."

Orcbolg makes his way closer to the rest of the group, hearing at least part of what Aravari said. "I have a fair bit of good rope, but no hook and I am far from a good swimmer. Something I should work on for the future for sure. It seems I was not fully prepared for this exact scenario, but I am at least somewhat prepared." Orcbolg slings around his pack to his front, and fishes out a wooden torch with a cover over the head, and upon removing the cover it shines brightly, or at least as brightly as it could in this rain. He begins to wave the Everburning Torch above his head somewhat slowly, hoping to catch the gaze of anyone within the hamlet who might be looking.

Edited by DragonFriend (see edit history)

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 08 (-1)

Mark pulls off his pack and starts rummaging inside.

I got hook and rope too.

He quickly pulls out a grappling hook and some more rope, just in case they need it.

Me no swim. No big water at my home.

He secures the hook to his rope and then judges how far across the moat is and whether it is going to be an easy throw and if 50' of rope would be enough. If it looks like a hard throw he will offer the rope and hook to Orcbolg.

OOC

707d7af93f3e4113b2782c25fbf74dcb.jpeg.jpg.2c112df9667679ce749109eefe137d51.jpg

Name: Gelfin Shadowborn

Race: Fey'ri

Class: Warlock 3//LA+2/Rogue 1

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Gelfin looks upon the closed up town with some distaste, as the the rain and wind was leaving the evening very uncomfortable. He listens as the others speak and make plans for how they would get inside. He opens his backpack, pulling out a length of silk rope. "I have rope as well, though if we can get someone to open up we would be better off. I feel if we were to get across and scale the walls, our welcome may be a bit scant one." he the raises his voice and speaks to the walls. 'Ho Nightstone, will you provide us shelter for the night? The weather slowed us and we could not reach here sooner. Any assistance would be appreciated" this was said in a deep, clear voice filled with courtesy. Turning back to his companions he speaks in quieter tones. "I would rather not swim the moat if I do not have to, it does not look too sanitary. "

He continues to sit Shadow as he awaits the towns response.

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2865564][B][SIZE=+1]Gelfin Shadowborn[/SIZE][/B][/URL] Male Chaotic Neutral Fey'ri Rogue/Warlock, [B]Level[/B] 3, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 18/18, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 13, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 14, [B]Fort[/B] 1, [B]Ref[/B] 7, [B]Will[/B] 4, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 2 [B]Least Crystal Arcane Steel/ Hideous Blow MW Short Sword [/B] 3 (1d6 +1 +2d6, ) [B]Eldritch Spear Eldritch Blast [/B] +5 (2d6, ) [B] Mithril Chainshirt[/B] (+4 Armor, +3 Dex) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16 [B]Condition[/B] None
Gelfin Shadowborn
Male Chaotic Neutral Fey'ri Rogue/Warlock, Level 3, Init 3, HP 18/18, Speed 30
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, Fort 1, Ref 7, Will 4, Base Attack Bonus 2
Least Crystal Arcane Steel/ Hideous Blow MW Short Sword 3 (1d6 +1 +2d6, )
Eldritch Spear Eldritch Blast +5 (2d6, )
Mithril Chainshirt (+4 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16
Condition None

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)
Name
Diplomacy
1d20+3 15
Spot
1d20+5 2
Listen
1d20+6 19

image.png.739a50a69b9e75b6f95c603a3d255c9c.png

Statblock

Aravari Revenmar
Female Chaotic Good Human Cleric 1 / Ninja 2 // Rogue 2 / Swashbuckler 1
Level 3, Init 3, HP 27/27, Speed 40 ft
AC 16, Touch 16, Flat-footed 13
Fort 4, Ref 8, Will 6, Base Attack Bonus 2   
MW Kukri +4/+4 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
MW Kukri +6 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
Longbow (20 Arrows) +3 (1d8, x3)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
Condition None 

Aravari takes another look at the moat. "You're right, I'd rather not get into that moat unless we absolutely had to. And it doesn't look like we have any strong swimmers here." She sighs. With the others trying to catch the attention of the guards, Aravari decides to join in too, careful not to speak over the others so that they can be understood by the guards. "Hello! Is anyone there?! We'd like to come inside!" She begins waving her arms, hoping the added motion would help gather the attention of anyone responsible for the drawbridge.

Seeing the others trying to yell and get the towns peoples attention, Mark decides to hold off on the grappling hook for a moment. He decides to help. He places two fingers from his left hand in his mouth and then lets out a loud, high pitched whistle that should be heard even over the bells. That is if anyone is at the walls. If they are further inside, closer to the bell, then maybe not.

OOC

A Great Upheaval

Rain continues to pour down from above while you peer helplessly at the hamlet of Nightstone, barred from entry you will have to find another way inside.

Though you attempt to make contact with the denizens of Nightstone you receive no response. A quarter of one hour passes with no change in your current situation. If you are to continue your quest to find Lady Nandar you will first need to enter the hamlet; doing so will require some creative thinking.

The moat from where you currently stand appears to be twenty five feet in length from the edge of the path to the beginning of the drawbridge. The slope on the other side of the water appears slick and difficult to climb but is otherwise a short distance from the palisade that bars your vision. Beyond the palisade appear to be two stonework towers that span roughly a ten foot diameter above the woodwork. The towers are spaced equally on either side of the drawbridge and likely hold a mechanism to open the path.

This section of the moat appears to be where there will be the least swimming involved as most of the moat appears to thicken by more than an additional ten feet in width as soon as you look past the drawbridge. Additionally if you look closely it appears as if the palisade is well worn by weather; it may prove easy to climb if reached.

Gelfin & AdriannaWhile neither of you are able to hear anything in particular outside of the hamlet it does occur to you that this situation is quite strange. As a border town this settlement should be well accustomed to traders arriving in the night. Not only is this unusual but the bell that has been ringing for over an hour since your arrival has yet to cease; something is amiss.

Weather & Effects

Time: Dusk, Low-Light.

Temperature: Chilly.

Edited by IWantBapo (see edit history)

Adrianna stands frustrated that no one has responded, looking at the drawbridge she says "if we can catch the chain on the drawbridge one of us could climb up to the top of the drawn bridge and then climb down to let us in, this person will have to watch out for enemies as there is clearly something wrong here" she says to the party.