Storm Kings Thunder, Chapter 1 (IC)

Orcbolg hooks the Everburning Torch into his belt and swings his pack back onto his back. "Something is wrong here and we don't seem to have a lot of options. We have plenty of rope to both try and get a grapple hold to make it easier to swim, as well as tie someone off so we can pull them back to shore if they fail to make the swim. Either that, or we fell a tree and scoot across it but I am not sure we have the time to do that."

RikTikTavi.jpg.b7c940462fd4d752461f9e7fb4366a19.jpg Mar'che'chok

Nezumi, Scout (1) || Psychic Warrior (1)

AC: 16 (chain shirt + dex) | HP: 11/11 (1d9) | Speed: 40 ft.

Touch AC: 12 | Flat Footed AC: 14
Senses: Spot: +6, Listen: +6, Search: +4
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 08 (-1)
Languages: Common, Nezumi

My words, | My thoughts, | My actions . . .

Seeing that calling out did not work, Mark starts twirling the grappling hook. He judges the distance and lets the hook fly, trying to put the hook over the wall next to the drawbridge and hope it catches on something. His first attempt fails to get the hook over the wall. He pulls back in the rope and hook and tries again. This time his aim is perfect and the hook sails over the wall. He lets it fall and sit still for a second and then starts pulling on the rope hoping the hook catches on something. If it hooks on something he will look for something on this side to tie the other end of the rope to. That way whoever goes over does not have to swing into the water, they can just climb the rope over the water.

OOC

Edited by Draidden (see edit history)
Name
Throw grappling hook
1d20+3 4
try again
1d20+3 20

A Great Upheaval

1073e833bbf1c96ccddc9e97cc7bde2d.jpg.f13f7bdf4ec67f498cb6d942d5f0de6c.jpg

Rain continues to pour down from above while you peer helplessly at the hamlet of Nightstone, barred from entry you will have to find another way inside.

Mar'che'chok successfully manages to hook on to the palisade; finding purchase on something sturdy beyond his view. Fortunately for all of you there is a nearby tree that will serve as a sturdy ally to rely on. Now that a rope has been fastened it must be secured before it can be mounted; one brave soul at a time will have to cross the watery chasm.

All PlayersI am going to assume that you are attempting to climb across the rope while it is suspended in the air against the tree. This means you will have to make a climb check (DC 15) If you fail you will be allowed to save yourself with Reflex (DC 15).

If you fail to save yourself you will fall into the moat and must swim to shore on either side of the water.

Weather & Effects

Weather: Raining: -4 penalty on Spot, Search, Ranged Attacks, & Listen checks. Visibility is Halved.

Time: Dusk, Low-Light.

Temperature: Chilly.

Wind: Light, 4-6 mph

Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 14 (+2) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 14 (+2) | Cha: 08 (-1)

Now that the rope is in place and ready for use, he turns to the others.

Who gonna climb over? Might be bad for me to do. They see me and might assume I attack.

Maybe use other rope to not fall?

If no one else wants to go, he will. But he will ask for someone else's rope and use it to tie himself to the rope so if he slips he does not fall into the water.

OOC

Orcbolg makes sure the torch is firmly secured in his belt and takes the silk rope out of his pack, and begins to wrap it around his waist. "Climbing is something I can do, would be better if I took my armor off first but I don't know if we will be going right into combat so I won't." Orcbolg holds out the rope to the rest of the party, "As I said before, I am not a swimmer. So if the rest of you would pull me ashore if I fail."

Use Rope

Climb

Edited by DragonFriend (see edit history)
Name
Use Rope
1d20+5 6
Climb
1d20+7 15

Mark takes the end of the silk rope that is offered by Orcbolg. Wraps it around his wrist and sets his feet to be ready to pull the man in if he falls.

OOC

image.png.415004242352ea233dfb6de600fd9e41.png

Sheet: Adrianna Amore :: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e :: Myth-Weavers Online Character Sheets

Name: Adrianna Amore

Classes: Healer 3//Spirit Shaman 3

Race: Aasimar (Lesser)

Adrianna places her hand on Orcbolg's shoulder and whispers a blessing which grants him some minor guidance, she then stands back to give the guy some space.

Edited by paladinred (see edit history)

A Great Upheaval

Orcbolg successfully manages to climb across the moat and over the palisade. Once he vanishes from view the only indication of his arrival is the subtle glow of light from his everburning torch beyond the wall.

Orcbolg

You advance across the rope effortlessly, its slippery surface giving you no trouble despite the current conditions. Once you arrive at the palisade it is easy for you to climb over and drop within Nightstone; landing between the two stone towers with the bridge at your back. Your torch gives you light out to thirty feet but it seems in the low light conditions you are unable to discern any significant details from your surroundings. It is fortunate that the torch is magic in nature or it surely would have failed you by now.

Your vision is reduced by the weather but you are still able to discern something amiss. To your right appears to be a boulder roughly the size of a human body; it appears wedged into one of the guard towers and bars your passage. Fortunately for you there is a second tower that is undamaged and you are able to reach the winch that will release the bridge for your allies. It only takes a few moments to activate the winch, from within the stone structure you hear an audible clicking noise as the chains lower the bridge.

The Party

You watch as Orcbolg takes it upon themselves to cross the rope, his movements are effortless and tactfully placed. Once across he disappears for several moments and then the gate falls at your feet; its force splashing mud across the ground.

Everyone gains 240 Experience.

Weather & Effects

Weather: Raining: -4 penalty on Spot, Search, Ranged Attacks, & Listen checks. Visibility is Halved.

Time: Dusk, low-light.

Temperature: Chilly

Wind: Light, 4-6 mph

Edited by IWantBapo (see edit history)

image.png.739a50a69b9e75b6f95c603a3d255c9c.png

Statblock

Aravari Revenmar
Female Chaotic Good Human Cleric 1 / Ninja 2 // Rogue 2 / Swashbuckler 1
Level 3, Init 3, HP 27/27, Speed 40 ft
AC 16, Touch 16, Flat-footed 13
Fort 4, Ref 8, Will 6, Base Attack Bonus 2   
MW Kukri +4/+4 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
MW Kukri +6 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
Longbow (20 Arrows) +3 (1d8, x3)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
Condition None 

Aravari walks across the lowered drawbridge to where Orcbolg is standing. "That was splendid work, Orcbolg," she says to him. "You made the whole ordeal seem a minor inconvenience."

Aravari scans what she can of the town, but her vision is not strong enough to make out any notable details. "We should be careful. We need to find out what's going on in this town to make the guards leave their post. Should we start by looking for the temple?"

Once the drawbridge starts coming down, he unties the rope from the tree and lets the grappling hook pull the ret over the top of the wall. He then moves across the bridge and collects his rope and hook and puts them back in his pack. He agrees with Aravari that they should head for the temple.

Yesss. Find who ring bell.

OOC

"Thank you Ms. Aravari." Orcbolg unties the rope around his waist and coils it up while talking before putting it back in his bag. "The temple bells are probably the quickest way to figure out what is going on. But might I suggest we don't stop them when we find them, at least until we have a better understanding of what is going on? It could alert any possible aggressors that something is amiss if the bell suddenly stops."

Nezumi, Scout (2) || Psychic Warrior (2)

AC: 16 (chain shirt + dex) | HP: 22/22 (2d8) | Speed: 40 ft.

Senses: Spot: +7, Listen: +7, Search: +5

Mark notices the human sized boulder that has smashed into one of the towers.

That not look right. Take big strong person to move that. Bigger to throw it.

He moves over and examines it closer. Does it look like the boulder was placed there or that it was thrown and smashed into the tower?

OOC

image.png.739a50a69b9e75b6f95c603a3d255c9c.png

Statblock

Aravari Revenmar
Female Chaotic Good Human Cleric 1 / Ninja 2 // Rogue 2 / Swashbuckler 1
Level 3, Init 3, HP 27/27, Speed 40 ft
AC 16, Touch 16, Flat-footed 13
Fort 4, Ref 8, Will 6, Base Attack Bonus 2   
MW Kukri +4/+4 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
MW Kukri +6 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
Longbow (20 Arrows) +3 (1d8, x3)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10
Condition None 

Aravari tries to look in the direction from where the ringing sound was coming. She then turns back to Orcbolg. "I agree that it would be unwise to stop the ringing. If it's been going on this long, then surely, there must be a reason for it. With that said...," Aravari looks back toward the drawbridge. "It may be best to bring the drawbridge back up in case there was something the village was trying to keep out."

A Great Upheaval

Rain continues to splash across the landscape all around you and the sun finally sets beyond the horizon. You are left in the dark of night with a chill in your bones, a mystery to solve, and a noble to seek.

Mar'che'chok

Upon investigating the rock you determine that it appears to have hit the ground with great force. Though you are unable to determine if it had been thrown either through physical or magical means. The boulder appears to be roughly three feet in diameter and will be too heavy for you to move without assistance from a work horse. The way it is set into the ground seems to suggest that it may have fallen straight into the earth rather than pivoted and thrown.

The Party

Now that you have entered the city it becomes quite clear that the ringing bell is quite close. The dim light from any torches you currently carry appear to reflect off of a building roughly thirty five feet from your position to the north east. The paths in the town appear to be made of cobbled stone and will be easy to traverse in the rain; much sturdier than the mud trail you have walked on up until now. There are currently three directions for you to travel; You may travel east along the widest road which likely leads to the centre of town, south along a thinner path that will lead you away from the bell toll's, and north which will take you off the path entirely and bring you both toward the bell toll's and likely behind the temple that rests just out of view.

Weather & Effects

Time: Night, Darkvision.

Temperature: Chilly

Wind: Light, 3-5 mph

Nezumi, Scout (2) || Psychic Warrior (2)

AC: 16 (chain shirt + dex) | HP: 22/22 (1d9) | Speed: 40 ft.

Senses: Low-light vision, Spot: +7, Listen: +7, Search: +5

That strange. Rock looks like fell straight down.

After hearing the idea of closing the drawbridge he is not so sure about that idea.

True, but if we need to run away and we close bridge, we trap us inside with bad thing and no get away.

OOC