Chapter 1 โ€” The Horror of Awakening

iantruesilver

T'Sarra Khonnor 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 11/11  | AC 19(+1 vs robots)Fort (2) - Reflex (3) - Will (2) | Spells: 2/4 remaining

Temporary conditions

"I should be good with her," she said and crouched down to sling the one cult leader over a brawny shoulder.

"Oof, she's heavier than she looks. If one of you could take Rain's pack I'd appreciated it."

Looking over the spoils, it was clear that T'Sarra wanted to be gone more than she wanted a reward.

"We don't know the way out, where we are up top when we get out, how many more bad guys are down here and when they might wander past and take some exception to us having killed their friends. We should go. We can come back later to interrogate or even investigate further. I just want to find a way out." Seeing that the North passage was clearly blocked, she turned and started to talk to the South, looking to see if that was a way out.

Swift:

Move:

Standard (full):

spacer.pngUpon seeing the iron and silver symbols, Domino recognizes that they resemble something she’s seen in the library, imprinted into the cover of one of the few books on the shelves.  This arachnoid design also seems consistent with the spider-like masks the cultists wear.

Taking a whiff of one of the vials, it’s clearly evident to Barhuce that its contents is a solution of alchemist’s fire. In fact, there’s seven of these in the pile.

Similarly, Val recognizes that one of the vials from Domino contains a potion of stabilize.

Temporarily too distraught to focus enough to read the scrolls, and finding nothing of magical import around, Rain’s best instincts tells her it’s probably a good idea to move on, especially now that T’Sarra has this cultist slung over her shoulder…

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

Barhuce

spacer.pngBahruce grabs a share of whatever stuff is left to carry and nods. “Sounds good. Lets do it.”

Statblock

Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init6[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 5/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack187 Bonus[/B] 0   
[B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2)
[B]  light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2)
[B]  Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
[B]  Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch

Drink CLW2undefined elixir

Name
Perception 
1d20+4 13

Domino 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 10/08  | AC 14Fort (01) - Reflex (05) - Will (00)  |  

"Lord help the mister - Who comes between me and my sister"  ~ Rosemary Clooney & Trudy Stevens  from "White Christmas" 

The others are trussing up the Cult Leader and sorting out what to carry; Domino shakes her head at the load and gives up on pushing what she considers the logical choice of cutting their weight down.  Her experience at escaping prisons has been given, it is up to her companions to make their choices.  

While they are busy with this, Domino makes a quick trip back to the Library.  As she knows where the odd book was located it is quickly fetched.  Then she ducks into the small apartment and snatches something off the desk as well.  When she returns, Domino will collect any knives remaining and find somewhere to tuck them in for ready availability should there come a need for throwing them.  

"This book might be of interest."  Domino shows the others the book she recognized.  "There was a...  I don't want to call it alter, but I suppose statuette, of a spider on the desk of the living quarters.  I found it uninteresting but I have fetched it as well."  And she offers up 'A small, palm-sized effigy of some weird looking spiderlike monster ' for them.

OOC

6 hours ago, iantruesilver said:

recognizes that one of the vials from Domino contains a potion of stabilize.

Scroll & Potions go into the communal pile for distribution.  Domino isn't much for throwing bombs.

Domino will carry any knives which are not claimed by someone else.  She is becoming one of those rogue tropes.  

1 hour ago, Wiz said:

"Let's at least get the book with the spider symbol on the cover that Domino mentioned."

It REALLY bothers me when someone else writes my character's actions or puts words in their mouth before I have a chance to say something.  Could you please in the future allow me to speak for my character?  

Map Link

Rain-in-Summer

B8278D38-D56D-4D10-84D2-D1157F76821D.png.118b158dda0b886a8d97c1aa24ef7467.png“I am unsure what this is, but I am sure we can identify it at a later date. Barhuce, are the contents of those vials likely to be of use? We can deal with finances at a later date, but we should properly distribute any equipment that could aid our escape. Nothing here detects as magical,” she says, gesturing to the pile of items beside her. “We should get moving.”

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 9/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20)+4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None

Vri would head to the library with the others who would do so to get the book and also to have a quick look around, before heading back.  She would take the well-made sickle if nobody else took it and would also take the money and the gemstone they had found for division later when they were out of this place.  She would also take the smokesticks with her and the tindertwigs (also for distribution as soon as they were out of this place).  She would also carry all the scrolls and vials of liquid nobody else claimed, just to take them out for later identification.  She would take the silver symbol and insists that everybody took one of the iron ones as well.

"Just to make sure we can sort of pose as those cultists by showing the symbol," she said, "you never know if it can come in handy.  The iron ones we can throw out and the silver one we can always melt for the silver later.  Now, let's get out of here and see what's going on, shall we?"

Name
perception
1d20+7 16

Now that the dust is settling from the last battle with this group of cultists, Domino and a few others go back into the library and living quarter area to search the place a little more thoroughly.  Her intuition kicking in, Domino picks up the book that bears the spider symbol, and as she cursorily flips the pages, a scroll falls out from in between the other bound sheets.

Between Barhuce, Val and Vri, scouring the small loft-styled suite turned up a couple more things, amongst which is notably a bottle of wine.  As the trio ransack the remainder of the apartment, Domino swipes the statuette on the altar, which looks as though it depicts some arachnid or drider-like entity with multiple arms and a split, deformed face, its gaping maw perhaps in the process of devouring a piece of the sculpture that is made to resemble some other poor dismembered and indescript sample of flesh.

That done, the group returns to the ritual room and begins to follow the narrow passageway, first down a short flight of stairs then past a pair of torches.  About forty feet beyond there is another flight of stairs going up, which brings them to another part of the cultists' den.  Without a word, Violet followed the group along, sticking always just within armsreach of Domino.

T'Sarra Only

As you trudge along with the others, you feel something moist soaking through your clothing at your shoulder, under the weight of the cultist you're carrying...

At the top of the stairs, the corridor continues for another forty feet or so before it widens out into what looks to be another chamber, at the centre of which looks to be perhaps a flame.  Several cubby holes inset into the walls seem to display what might be a few statues of grotesque form.

(( Previously abandonded Loot: Chainmail, Light steel shield; New Loot: Book inscribed with Shiggarreb symbolu, Scrollu (2), Gold statuette of Shiggarreb, Bottle of wine, Iron wandu. ))

[[ Map — Location Unknown ]]

Domino 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 10/08  | AC 14Fort (01) - Reflex (05) - Will (00)  |  

"Lord help the mister - Who comes between me and my sister"  ~ Rosemary Clooney & Trudy Stevens  from "White Christmas" 

Domino will accept the iron holy symbol for possible disguise use but she tucks it into a pouch and will likely forget about it.  

"Oh....  Someone should get that."  Domino says when the loose piece of paper falls out of the book.  She will hand over the Spider Book and it's scroll to whomever reaches out first.

At the upper end of the stairs, Domino will hold up a hand for caution and to get everyone to pause while she listens for trouble ahead.

"Stay here."  She tries to convince Violet to wait a moment.  "I will see what I can see."

OOC

Domino has no interest in scrolls or books.  Gives them to whomever posts first that they would like to have them.

Perception check and stealth check.

Hallway gets narrow.  Is it 5ft wide?  

Map Link

Name
Stealth
1d20+7 4
Perception
1d20+6 2

Barhuce

spacer.pngBahruce Takes the scroll no book and glance over them quickly while Domino scouts ahead.

Statblock

Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init6[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 5/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack187 Bonus[/B] 0   
[B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2)
[B]  light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2)
[B]  Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
[B]  Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch

Drink CLW2undefined elixir

T'Sarra Khonnor 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 11/11  | AC 19(+1 vs robots)Fort (2) - Reflex (3) - Will (2) | Spells: 2/4 remaining

Temporary conditions

"Hold up! Hold up!" T'Sarra whispered to her group as she felt something..

"There's something wet. Either she's opened up her wounds or she's peed or ... something worse. I'm going to put her down to see."

She squatted low and rolled the cult leader off her shoulder as smoothly as she could to lie down on the stone floor.

Swift:

Move:

Standard (full):

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 9/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20)+4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None

As Vri had only the most limited understanding of the healing arts, she decided to follow Domino in her scouting ahead.  While not particularly trained in moving quietly, she did have a lot of grace and she could move fairly quietly if she had to.  She kept her weapons ready just in case something would come out.  She had a look at the statues to see if she recognised any of them, then looking at Domino.

"You know any of those," she whispered.

Name
perception
1d20+7 10
stealth
1d20+2 11

Scouting ahead, Domino and Vri see two pairs of statues facing the middle, where there is an eerie blueish flame in a square pit set into the ground.  Each of the four statues depict a distinctly bizzare looking monster, though they seem to share something in whatever arachnoid quality each possess.

The one farthest from their left seems to have three clawed tails resembling scorpion stingers, and eight legs connected by leathery webs of flesh.  Clockwise from that is another statue that sports a round, perhaps jawless mouth ringed by dozens of eyes, with a spiny shell and several hooked legs.

From there, the closest on the right depicts an incomprehensible, obscene mass that could only be described by as a melted blob having mated with a spider, sporting many mouths and hairy legs.  The last one counts ten spidery legs from its perhaps arachnoid frame, but with again with three whipping stingers protruding from its rear and a head writhing with dripping tentacles and a clutch of eyes.

Beyond these monstrosities there looks to be a small table on one side, and passageways leading to the left and right.  The one to the right looks to be the beginning of a set of stairs going up, perhaps connecting to a second story above with a low stone ledge looking down.

Despite the amount of noise the pair seem to have kicked up, their boots clicking on the hard stone tiles, it does not seem like they've attracted any additional unwanted attention, at least not yet.

From behind, as T'Sarra and Val assess the cultist, it appears that while her wounds were grievous, the majority of the bleeding has stopped after soaking through some of the bandaging, and that the source of what is wet is only due to the fact that she's unconsciously emptied her bladder while she was being hefted over the tiefling's shoulder, a fact that is no doubt less dramatic than it is simply unplesant for her recent bearer.

[[ Map — Location Unknown ]] 

(( This part of the map is really difficult to align to grid, it looks like a 10ft wide hallway, but the next chamber is about 15ft wide, so it's not easy to choose which part aligns where.  Please bear with me through this, as it'll probably make combat a bit weird. ))