Chapter 1 — The Horror of Awakening

iantruesilver

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 9/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20)+4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None

Vri was surprised that the cultist would choose death, but she felt it wasn't her problem.  She did drag the body back as she was wondering if they also had such good weapons as the others had.  It would be quite interesting to get something out of this predicament.

"This one rather died than be captured," she said to the others as she got back, "Any of the others who are alive and can give us information, like where everything is in this complex."

Barhuce

spacer.pngBahruce takes a moment to stabilize the prisoner, using her own clothing as bandages or rags. He babbles a bit about names as he works. “The other thing about names is that people sometimes shorten them. For example, I may start calling you Vi; oddly though, I probably wouldn't call her Dom. There's a lot of weird cultural baggage tied up in names for males vs females. Even weirder, those change from culture to culture and over time.”

Statblock

Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init6[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack187 Bonus[/B] 0   
[B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2)
[B]  light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2)
[B]  Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
[B]  Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch

Edited by Inash (see edit history)
Name
heal to stabilize prisoner
1d20+4 15

Rain-in-Summer

B8278D38-D56D-4D10-84D2-D1157F76821D.png.118b158dda0b886a8d97c1aa24ef7467.pngRain walks over to T’Sarra and pulls a silk rope and a pair of manacles out of her pack. “We should take the woman in charge- she can provide us with the most information. Someone help me secure the prisoner.

“The concept that only one name may hold meaning is inherently flawed,” Rain responds to Violet, as she ties up the prisoner. “The true, universal name is often the one first assigned to a creature. It is only unique in that it is the first name a creature gains, and so is the one that is associated with the individual the longest. Subsequent names, or ‘nick-names,’ are no less meaningful, but they only hold meaning for a smaller subset of people.

“Consider a tree. It has been assigned the name tree for longer than any remember. A child in tune with nature may call a tree ‘friend,’ and to that child, that name has incredible meaning. But to anyone else, the tree is still ‘tree.’

“Violet is a good name, whether it be your true name or not. It has meaning, and good meaning at that. Within it is the promise of growth, an association with a flower of great beauty, and the love Domino holds for her sister.”

Edited by madMonk (see edit history)

T'Sarra Khonnor 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 11/11  | AC 19(+1 vs robots)Fort (2) - Reflex (3) - Will (2) | Spells: 2/4 remaining

Temporary conditions

"Mouthy?" She looked at Domino with a puzzled expression then shrugged.

"Yeah, that's probably fair."

Though she wasn't the one discussing names, she usually was the mouthy one. She chuckled at Rain pulled the silk rope and manacles out of her pack.

"Well, you're just all kinds of fun at parties, aren't you?" She tried her best with the manacles, hoping to keep the woman well restrained.

"She seems out, but hopefully can be stabilized. Still can't hurt to tie her up in case she's faking."

She looked down the passage to the North that she thought the leader was headed for. It was obviously caved in.

"Never mind. Unless there's a secret passage up that way, I don't think that's going to get us anywhere."

Swift:

Move:

Standard (full):

Name
tie her up after she's stabilized
1d20+4 17

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
Condition None

While the others were discussing names, Vri was looking at the dead bodies to see if they had anything they could use.

"Say, you two came from the other side as we did," she said to Domino and Violet, "Anything interesting on that side.  Our side mostly had a prison, but also a storage room which we probably should investigate a bit further as well.  If you had any equipment you're now missing, it's probably over there."

Domino 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 10/08  | AC 14Fort (01) - Reflex (05) - Will (00)  |  

"Lord help the mister - Who comes between me and my sister"  ~ Rosemary Clooney & Trudy Stevens  from "White Christmas" 

Back to business after her emotional outburst, Domino considers the next step of escaping.  

"There is a large room with two tables.  It is a bit rubbish, lacks cleaning and had rats.  Shelves with books and odd bits which we gave a passing glance.  We did discover a knife, but it seemed more like it was laid aside to aid in exploratory surgery and dismemberment had we not awoken.  There might be more useful items but it does not seem like a good use of our time to investigate.  It has a sewage, blood drain, in the floor.  I was unable to open it.  Considering the vermin issue, I would not wish to use it unless there were no other options available."  

Domino will assist in checking the pockets and pouches of the prisoners for possible prizes.

"There was another chamber, much better cared for."  Domino adds.  "It had the appearance of a living chamber or domicile.  Clothing, personal items and a bed.  Far too small for this number unless they were taking turns sleeping.  I suspect it was for who ever was attending to autopsies in the laboratory room.  It is far more likely to contain something of value if there is time for a deeper investigation."  

"Truthfully, I doubt either room has anything of worthy of our time and I found no other exits, not counting the sewage venue.  But as I do not even know everyone's name, let alone their capabilities or natures, I do not know exactly what you might be hoping to find."

OOC

Has everyone introduced themselves?

Apologies for the occasional alliteration.  I am fond of them.  

Map Link

Barhuce

spacer.pngThe prisoner stabilized, Bahruce takes a minute to swig an extract. “I'm Bahruce. I'm an alchemist. Frankly, I think I'm a good one. I think mostly we would want anything valuable or informative... though frankly, I wouldn't mind a quick look through the library.”

Statblock

Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init6[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 5/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack187 Bonus[/B] 0   
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch

Drink CLW elixir

Edited by Inash (see edit history)
Name
CLW
1d8+1 1

A quick look around the roughly octagonal ritual chamber tells you there's not much to be gained from staying.  Beyond the approximately ten-foot deep circular pit with a now-broken ring of candlelight around an ominous red pattern at the bottom, its short flight of stairs leading up its inside edge to where Domino had recently deliered a coup de grâce to one dying fanatic, the chamber seems near symmetrical.  Four corridors lead out of it, two of which seems to sport short flights of stairs going down, and another looks to have been caved in fairly closeby.  Eight pillars surround the pit, six of which bear torches for lighting.

“Does ‘other’ not imply perhaps a state of lesser import?” The woman contemplated intelligently as she moved to retrieve the dagger she had thrown at one of the cultist’s hand, using the clothing of the deceased to wipe the blade clean, “Given the option I think I would much prefer to be nick-named Violet.”

For the moment, it seems as though there is no further activity nearby, so you could perhaps take some time to more thoroughly search your surroundings.  As Vri drags the one cultist back towards the chamber and starts searching for valuables, T'Sarra and Rain busy themselves in binding the one that sported the fancier mask.

”Perhaps you are correct, this is a discussion that requires further comprehension.” Violet indicated T’Sarra as she acknowledged her wisdom, then cocked her head at Barhuce in confusion, “I do not understand. Why is it desirable to contract my nick-name to Vi, but not Dom?”

(( Loot: dagger (7), dart (4), masterwork sickle, chainmail, scrollu (17), vial of liquidu (11), iron holy symbolu (7), silver holy symbolu, smokestick (7), spell component pouch (7), tindertwig (7), 63gp 3sp 31 cp, and a pearly white gemstone with blue opalescent schilleru. As before, please indicate who takes what. ))

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)
Name
Weight of Cultist "7"
2d10*5+85 5,10

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Condition None

Vri put out the loot for the others.

"Some money for when we get out, another good weapon, some things we might be able to use," she summed up the stuff, "If anybody can use some of the stuff, have at it.  But first, can anybody check to see if any of the stuff is magical and if so, what it does.  And secondly, does anybody know what these symbols are?"

Domino 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 10/08  | AC 14Fort (01) - Reflex (05) - Will (00)  |  

"Lord help the mister - Who comes between me and my sister"  ~ Rosemary Clooney & Trudy Stevens  from "White Christmas" 

"We did find some loose change as well."  Domino admits.  "And some other interesting things."

She fetches a scroll and some small flasks, as well as a curious white rock.

"I cannot read this, and do not know what the liquid is."  Domino states and then holds up the rock.  "I did not have time to discern it's worth but it was kept with the valuables."

"As with the armor I left in the other room, it does not seem advisable to weight ourselves down overly much.  We have not yet escaped this situation."  She idly plays with one of the small blades.  "On the gripping hand, I could always find a use for more knives."

OOC

10153252.jpg3 vials, one scroll - and some coins (55gp 5 sp,) which she has split with Violet.  

Rock Picture for Refence 

Map Link

Barhuce

spacer.png“One of the skills I've learned as an alchemist is how to identify odd liquids. We found two minor healing potions earlier. I'll take a look at any liquids we still need to ID.” Bahruce takes all the unidentified vials and spends a minute with each (yes, he'll stop whenever the group is ready to go and finish later). "I'll also help carry things. We can sell whatever we don't want to keep, but we gotta get it out of here first."

Statblock

Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init6[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 5/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch

Drink CLW2 elixir

spacer.pngVal nods, watching Barhuce, "I can identify stuff much the same way.  Oh, and for the next hour or so, I can carry a lot more stuff, so let's split stuff up and get out of here as quickly as we can."

Rain-in-Summer

B8278D38-D56D-4D10-84D2-D1157F76821D.png.118b158dda0b886a8d97c1aa24ef7467.pngRain leaves the potions to her more alchemically inclined companions, and casts detect magic on the remainder of the equipment. She also takes the opportunity to study the scroll. “From the context, I assume the holy symbols are of the Qlippoth Lord Shiggarreb.”

DC20+ spell level Spellcraft check to decipher the scroll

If she detects magic on the stuff that isn’t a potion, she’ll hold the spell to narrow down what is magical.

Name
Spellcraft
1d20+6 2