Chapter 1 โ€” The Horror of Awakening

iantruesilver

Domino 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 10/08  | AC 14Fort (01) - Reflex (05) - Will (00)  |  I do not dream of electric sheep.

"I cannot give you a name."  Domino says, fencing with one opponent and frowning as the other woman abandons her to be surrounded by adversaries.

"Names are very personal."  She continues to explain while adroitly parrying the cultist (A) aside and thrusting with deadly aim at her chest.  "For a time, I was just known as 'That Android' or 'Khonnir's Android' and eventually I was called 'Sister' by Val."  Domino pauses to smile.  "This is very nice, some day maybe you will acquire a Sister."

"It was not until I developed a sense of myself that I chose to be known as Domino."  Domino slides a step to the side as she considers the problem of assigning names while she steps out from between the two knife wielding fanatics.  "You should invest some time and thought into a name for yourself.  Until then I would be honored to find a designation for you so that you might avoid 'Hey You' as a nomenclature."  

Domino's monologue is interrupted by the sudden (and happy) arrival of her Sister, who heralds her arrival with a thunderous report which echoes in the small chamber and fills the area with the smell of black-powder.  

"Val!"  Domino nearly drops her sword in surprise.  She follows this exclamation with a series of expletives which proves that the prostitute she met in Blackpipe taught Domino more than how to walk in high heels.  

"Oh, this is my sister."  Domino says to the other android.  "She is already named Val, you shouldn't use that.  It will still be confusing." 

OOC

Attack "A" and then Five Foot Step.  Dangit.  I forgot to name the dice roll.  An 11 probably misses anyways.

Domino is a bit more verbose than I had thought she would be.  I think this may be a permanent quirk.  As an explanation, I can only say that I have been watching re-runs of "Bones" and had already considered the Temperance Brenan character played by Emily Deschanel as a personality guide but it is coming through a lot stronger.  

I am still thinking on the name.  I am trying to find fun one rather than default to "Annie" or something alpha-numerical in nature.  

Map Link

Name
roll
1d20+4 7

Barhuce

spacer.pngBahruce moves into the room and throws a bomb at the last cultist standing in the main room, while glancing around for anyone in a side corridor. "Fire in the hole new girls."

Statblock

Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init6[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack187 Bonus[/B] 0   
[B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2)
[B]  light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2)
[B]  Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
[B]  Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch

Throw bomb at A. Splash damage is 5 DC 14 reflex

Edited by Inash (see edit history)
Name
attack v touch at 1 range increment/w bless
1d20+2 18
damage (acid)
1d4+4 1

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 9/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20)+4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None 

"HEY, WATCH OUT," Vri shouted as a bomb exploded in front of her.  As the cultist in front of her dropped dead, she moved to one of the ones that were still alive.

Round 3

Double move (done on map)

Edited by farothel (see edit history)
Name
reflex save
1d20+5 12

Combat — Round 3

Initiative Order

PCs: Average(R 26, Vr 19, ??? 18, D 12, T 11, V 10, B 6) = 14.57

Cultists: 10

Vri had barely any time to shelter herself from the blast and richochet of Barhuce's bomb, though reacting quick enough she was able to duck behind a pillar and shield herself and her vital areas from some of splash, though the relatively minor amount that did hit her leaves an acrid smell on her clothing.

Coming up from behind, Vri, Rain and T'Sarra are barely quick enough to catch young Val and her other companions rushing up to finish off some of the remainder of their adversaries.

"This name business is most perplexing." The woman answered, suddenly deep in thought.  For a moment being sandwiched in a very uncomfortable jam between two cultists and a lengthy explanation about names to her comanion, Domino ineffectually took a swipe at one of them before creating an exit for herself.  That was until Val stormed in gangsta style and busted a cap on one of them. "How does one keep track of the names that have been used, in order to decide on one that is unique for oneself?"

Barhuce followed in rapid haste, lobbing another one of his explosives into the group of masked and robeded figures, striking the other once again in the right shoulder.  The blast splashed one of the already dying cultists at the edge of the pit, barely missing Domino the one that Val had just executed. After a short spasm of convulsions, they cease to moan and signs of laboured breathing stop.

From around you, it seems that some of the remaining cultists are already retreating in an attempt to escape.  Though, in a fit of last minute bravado, the one struck by Barhuce's bomb turns toward the tangerine-headed android and charges, attempting to bull rush her into the pit, "Glory to the Warmonger Queen!"

Already imbalanced from Barhuce's explosive, the cultist did not fare extremely well, and though the woman was not able to stop the charging fanatic with a decisive blow, the momentum was inadvertently deflected in a most unfortunate fashion which resulted in the cultist falling tumbling haplessly into the pit.  After a sickening crunch, the assailant was triumphant no more.

A quick assessment of her surroundings gave the woman some assurance, and she knelt beside the cultist she had struck down beside her at the ledge for a moment, before stating calmly, "This one here is still alive."

(( Combat is complete unless you wish to hunt down the two that are fleeing at 0 HP ))

[[ Map — Location Unknown ]]

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)
Name
H,C,A,P,LA,LF,RA,RF,LT,LC,RT,RC
1d12 7
B Reflex Save
1d20+1 10
??? AoO
5; 6
1d20+1;1d6 ; [6]
A Charge Bull Rush
1d20+2 1
A Fall Damage
1d6 2

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 9/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20)+4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None 

"Let none escape to warn others," Vri said as the all the cultists were either dead or dying, except for a few crawling away.  She ran into the corridor she had seen one crawling in, putting her weapon against him when she caught up.

"And where do you think you're going," she asked, "Surrender or die."

OOC

run should get me to 0 in 1 round

spacer.pngVal smiles at her sister and glances at her friend, "I saw her in the dream last night where I saw you, were you experienceing the dream as well."  The clear-eyed girl looks over the stranger, "Is she like you were?

Reloading her gun, Val addresses the other woman, "My sister, Domino never fared well until she chose her own name for herself... if you are like her, perhaps you should do the same.  It can be any name that you feel reflects who you are.  A name is like a mask we wear in public, a face we show to the world, it helps us define ourselves for ourselves.  I always thought Domino's choice was interesting... because a Domino is a kind of mask."

Domino 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 10/08  | AC 14Fort (01) - Reflex (05) - Will (00)  |  

"Lord help the mister - Who comes between me and my sister"  ~ Rosemary Clooney & Trudy Stevens  from "White Christmas" 

"Let none escape to warn others,"  Vrilundass Arund  

"As you wish."  Domino then thrusts her rapier through the heart of the fallen cultist.

"Names are not as troublesome as you might believe."  Domino snaps her blade sharply to flick away the blood.  "And we are discussing nick-names at the moment.  These are names others give you which may be chosen as a means of deceiving the authorities, or for a particular incident in which you participated or for an attribute you possess."

As Domino details her reasoning, she walks about the room continuing to murder the cultists who are bleeding out.  Unless someone stops her.  

"Many humans enjoy nick-names or aliases which employ a juxtaposition of truths in attributes.  A tall man might be called Tiny.  A thin man might be called Fats.  It is considered a witticism."  Domino smiles.  "I have then decided on a nick-name for you.  Violet."  She chuckles and looks around the room at the others.  "You see,  Violet is the name of a flower, and is also a name given to human girls.  And then your hair is yellow, and purple is on the opposing side of the color wheel from yellow.   Purple is also called violet.  And my sister is named Val, and you are a silicate sister of mine, so the use of the letter V as the beginning of your name places a meaning which coincides with the incident of finding you at the same time I was reunited with Val."

With the matter of names all sorted, as far as Domino is concerned...  and the Cultists within easy reach neatly stabbed to death....  Domino cleans her weapon and returns it to the sheathe.  

"I have been very clever in coming up with a nick-name, now if you will permit me a moment.  I find I am feeling quite giddy at the discovery of my sister."  Domino crosses swiftly over to Val and throws her arms around her in a tight hug, burying her face in her sister's neck.  "Though it is possible that I am misinterpreting the emotion."  (Her voice muffled by her position)  "Because it appears I am weeping."

OOC

Going with your use of Leeloo and the icon, the other Android has red-blonde hair.  

Coup de Grace You automatically hit and score a critical hit. If the defender survives the damage, he must make a Fortitude save DC 10 + damage dealt) or die. A Rogue also gets her extra sneak attack damage against a helpless opponent when delivering a coup de grace.

Name came to me, or rather Domino's explanation of why, while I was putting purple coloring in my hair.  

Nice catch on the Mask reference.   I don't talk about that one, but it goes with my tendency to use double-meanings in PC names.  Though my meaning of it was more about Rogues and Bandits wearing masks.  But the fun of double meanings is finding all the facets it can be.    

It feels kind of "Out of Combat" to me.  If we are still marking rounds, then just consider the first stab-cultist-in-the-face activity 

And then the talking.

Map Link

Name
Coup de Grace damage from Rapier and Sneak Attack
4d6+2 4,1,1,5

Rain-in-Summer

B8278D38-D56D-4D10-84D2-D1157F76821D.png.118b158dda0b886a8d97c1aa24ef7467.pngRain coughs to get the group's attention. "Again, please leave one of the cultists alive. We would like to know why they abducted us, to ensure it does not happen again."

"Meep!" agrees Jerry, from his perch atop Rain's shoulder.

"Though, now that you mention it, the topic of names is an interesting one. How can a single word encapsulate the vastness that is a person, when it is assigned before one truly develops personhood? Most people are not granted the liberty to choose their own names, but rathe-" Rain catches herself, as she sees that Domino and Val seem otherwise occupied. She looks over at Jerry who gives the rodent equivalent of a shrug. "I apologise. Please continue your reunion."

Edited by madMonk (see edit history)

Barhuce

spacer.pngBahruce heads back to where he dropped the crossbow and glances toward the cultist who is crawling away in that room. “One of the new girls is a bit bloodthirsty. You wanna surrender, or should I let her wander over and kill you?”

Statblock

Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init6[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack187 Bonus[/B] 0   
[B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2)
[B]  light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2)
[B]  Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
[B]  Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch

Throw bomb at A. Splash damage is 5 DC 14 reflex

Combat — Round 4

Initiative Order

PCs: Average(R 26, Vr 19, Vi 18, D 12, T 11, Va 10, B 6) = 14.57

Cultists: 10

As Vri and Barhuce chased down and confronted the fleeing cultists, each of them turned to face their pursuers and muttered a curse under their breath, before declaring aloud with a final desperate strike, "All will sucumb to the Mother's Maw!"

The cultist at Vri's rapier tip essentially skewered herself in order to get close enough to take a swipe at the half-elf, though the tip of her blade barely scratched the front of Vri's studded leather armour before the fanatic's lifeforce began draining away.

The one attacking Barhuce however got in a lucky shot, the dagger slicing him deep in the left thigh, before she herself expired in a heap of her own flesh.

One of the other cultists around the circular pit however, received a much more merciful death, as Domino took Vri's demand to let none escape quite literally.  A forceful stab through the top of the dying cultist's oral cavity, puncturing through the soft part at the back of the top palate.  The pain response was short, as the tip of the rapier pierced a couple other tissue groups before coming to a stop, and by the time Domino withdrew her blade, the body was already limp.

"How does one distinguish then, between a 'nick-name' and a name of meaning?  And does this imply then that one might assume multiple different names based on, mood or whim?"  Finding herself suddenly navigating a rather new and complex subject Domino called witticism, the woman was noneless glad to hear someone else chime in echoing her own opinion.  She looked to the others, Domino's sister "Val", the reasoning one behind the veil, and several of the others, silently noting that they had indeed all appeared in her recent dream.

"I have been told I am to be 'nick-named' Violet."  She declares to no one in particular, however she seems at the time to be making eye contact with Rain.

[[ Map — Location Unknown ]]

(( Barhuce suffers 6 damage.  End of Combat — Each gains 275XP ))

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)
Name
9 Thrown Dagger
21; 4
1d20+1;1d4 ; [4]
Crit Confirm
16; 2
1d20+1;1d4 ; [2]
0 Dagger
1d20 10
H,C,A,P,LA,LF,RA,RF,LT,LC,RT,RC
1d12 9
6 Fortitude Save
1d20-1 20

T'Sarra Khonnor 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 11/11  | AC 19(+1 vs robots)Fort (2) - Reflex (3) - Will (2) | Spells: 2/4 remaining

Temporary conditions

"Could we maybe cut the teary reunions and naming ceremonies short until we're out of here safely?" She moved next to the cultist that was 'spared' (the leader? Or someone else?) crouched down and asked.

"Any of you know enough to stabilize her? Would hate to haul her out of here and have her die from her wounds half way out. Not on my list of tricks though, alas. Any preference which one we take for questions? The boss lady who probably knows more but might be harder to break? Or a mook who might not know anything but will be easier to get to talk?"

Assuming one of her allies could stabilize the prisoner, either through spell or mundane healing, she could carry them out. If no one had an preference she'd take the leader, but otherwise the guard. She crouched down and slung her across her shoulder. It was heavy no doubt, but she could manage. She spoke to the prisoner slung over her shoulder.

"I don't know if you can hear me, but if you can, listen up. You're still hurt pretty bad, and violent movement is going to open your wounds up. So know this. If you move, I drop you. If you do anything to hurt me, I drop you. If you squirm or make a sound I don't like, if you so much as fart well you know the rest. Now, dominatrix in chief was trying to go that way, yeah? Seems as good a choice as any to try to get out of here?" She pointed to the NW, and suggested moving in that direction, unless there were any objections started walking (slowly) that way herself.

Swift:

Move:

Standard (full):

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)

Domino 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 10/08  | AC 14Fort (01) - Reflex (05) - Will (00)  |  

"Lord help the mister - Who comes between me and my sister"  ~ Rosemary Clooney & Trudy Stevens  from "White Christmas" 

"Is this real?"   "Are you here?"   "Am I free?"  Domino mumble/whispers the words as she takes a moment to recover.

Having questions to answer helps her to focus, and Domino will push herself away from Val and square her shoulders.  Blue eyes scan the room and she wipes silver tears away from her face.  

"Nick-Names are given by others."  Domino explains.  "You can try to give one to yourself, but then it may sound grandiose.  Others may view it as inflating yourself or puffery."  She pauses, finally noticing how many others are gathered.  "For now, Violet is a designation to help in conversation and nothing more.  We could refer to you as Oa, for Other Android, if you prefer.  I personally dislike referencing another being by their race but it is a fair assessment."  

"That all said, the Mouthy Demon one is correct.  This sort of discussion is best kept for when we have attained a place of safety."

OOC

Ian; I asked a while back if Domino had ever actually escaped from her captors before.  How would you like to do this?  If it makes a better plot hook to say Domino has been a captive for a longer time and she is only now escaping, I am fine.  I just need to know.

Map Link