Chapter 1 โ€” The Horror of Awakening

iantruesilver

Domino Only

"She shall know your ways as though born to them" — Prophecy of the First

"It is a strange sensation, I feel as if I have worn these clothes before, although I have no memory of them."  The woman moves and walks in her new attire as though it was a second skin, with a casual ease that that makes one think she has always worn such clothing, her balance seemingly unaffected by the boots as she follows along.

"I... do not."  She answered hesitantly as Domino asked about whether she had any memories of her surroundings, an innocent confusion that could often be attributed to that of a child, "The first thing I remember is the dream, and after that, I was here."

"But, why would anyone..." The woman began her inquiry again with questing eyes as Domino held her hand, but turned and pursed her lips midsentence, giving her new companion a tilt of the head to silently gesture toward the ritual room.

[[ Map — Location Unknown ]]

Barhuce, Rain, T’Sarra, Val and Vri

Tucked away inside the storage area for the time being, the lot of you took a little extra time to don your own gear and organize yourselves, formulating what is essentially the beginnings of your escape plan.

T'Sarra Only

At first it didn't quite register, but as the droning chanting went on and you got closer to it, you recognize that it is some sort of prayer in Abyssal.

"...Oh great Goddess, oh great Marauding Maw, grant me the blood of my enemies for drink and their still beating hearts for meat.  Give me the screams of their young for song, the helplessness of their males for satisfaction, and your forbidden dark magic to open the portal to your realm and herald your victory..."

(( Everyone regains all starting gear ))

(( Everyone please roll a perception check ))

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)
Name
Perception
1d20+8 14

Domino 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 10/08  | AC 14Fort (01) - Reflex (05) - Will (00)  |  I do not dream of electric sheep.

"Nothing at all."  Domino frowns, but it was expected.  She didn't really remember how she got here either.

"Well Father, I have done as much investigating as possible."  Domino says to a man not in the room.  "You cannot say I have not tried my best.  I do not want to be a disappointment again."

Domino fetches out a coin, and flips it experimentally.  "We can rush them, if I am lucky and quick..."  flip  "...which I often am, then I might disable two of them before they can react." flip  "That will still leave us six or so to deal with."  flip  "Or, we can walk out openly and see if they turn hostile."  flip  "Barring further information, we can let the coin decide."

Domino flips the coin into the air and catches it, slapping it onto the back of her hand.

OOC

Mostly stalling to do the perception check

Map Link

Name
Perception as Requested
1d20+6 7
Heads (1-2) we Kill, Tails (3-4) we Talk
1d4 4

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 11/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20)+4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None 

"I'm okay with trying to take them down," Vri said.  She's certainly not a fan of evil cultists trying to sacrifice them.

"But I agree with Rain to try and keep one alive so we can ask a few 'pointed' questions.  And if we rush them and work together, we might take a few out quickly."

Edited by farothel (see edit history)
Name
Perception
1d20+7 5

Barhuce

spacer.pngBahruce grins. “Are we gonna be loud then? Excellent. Somebody want this crossbow then. If we are doing loud I won't be needing it.He looks over at Val. “Missed your question earlier in the finding our stuff and whatnot. Never met your Da, but I had been writing to him. Wanted to be his journeyman.”

Statblock

Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack7 Bonus[/B] 0   
[B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2)
[B]  light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2)
[B]  Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
[B]  Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch

For when we are in initiative or if I need to explain a roll.

Name
Perception
1d20+4 15
know arcana
1d20+8 2

spacer.pngVal smiles at Bahruce, "Well, if that's the case, then I can only offer one piece of advice"  The young woman tears a paper bullet with her teeth, pouring the black powder down the barrel, tamps it down with the ramrod, then lets the lead bullet go in, "I suggest... you impress his daughter."

Listening to the distant sounds, she pulls another extract, out of two that she mixed back in the storage area.  She downs this and suddenly here pupils dialate and her ears perk up.

Active Spells:Ant Haul (1 hour)
Heightened Awareness (10 minutes)

Edited by Wiz (see edit history)
Name
Perception
1d20+4 2

Rain-in-Summer

B8278D38-D56D-4D10-84D2-D1157F76821D.png.118b158dda0b886a8d97c1aa24ef7467.pngRain checks, and then double checks her equipment. Luckily, everything seems in order. “Are you all ready to strike?” 

OOC: Stalling so we can resolve the perception check before I start slinging spells.

Name
Perception
1d20+8 16
Planes
1d20+6 5

T'Sarra Khonnor 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 11/11  | AC 19(+1 vs robots)Fort (2) - Reflex (3) - Will (2) 

As they got ready to move on, T'Sarra cocked her head and took a more careful listen to the chanting voices in the next room.

"Oh, that's not good. Not good at all. Sometimes I'm too fixated on technological terrors and forget about the good, old-fashioned evil from the family tree." She flicked a claw, to indicate what she meant.

That's abyssal," she pointed to the air in general, referring to the chanting, then started to translate.

"...Oh great Goddess, oh great Marauding Maw, grant me the blood of my enemies for drink and their still beating hearts for meat.  Give me the screams of their young for song, the helplessness of their males for satisfaction, and your forbidden dark magic to open the portal to your realm and herald your victory... blah blah blah on and on. Not sure it makes any difference to the plan, but be aware what we're facing here. Makes a lot more sense now, idiot cultists with BDSM face masks... Any of you ever heard of this 'marauding maw'?"

Name
perception
1d20+6 3

Barhuce

spacer.pngBahruce pulls out a small vial and holds it ready. “I’m good to go now.”

Statblock

Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack7 Bonus[/B] 0   
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch

Edited by Inash (see edit history)

Domino Only

"The First will be aware of things others cannot see" — Prophecy of the First

"Look. Something is happening."  As she points towards the ritual chamber, your attention is directed in that direction, but a little too late.  By the time you realize that several of the hooded figures are starting to move off away from the chamber, the woman's already charging forward ahead of you, dagger in hand. "Now!"

It strikes you that there is a little piece of irony from the coin landing face side up, which you were decided upon that being an indication you should try to talk instead of fight.

Barhuce, Rain, and Vri Only

You hear the sound of footsteps getting closer, along with an annoyed female voice, grumbling something to the effect of, "... taking them so damn long? Those two idiots better not be tampering with my sacrifice..."

Barhuce Only

Over the course of centuries, many arcane secrets have been lost.  The magics of Thassilon, the lost arts of the Azlanti, and the wondrous flying cities of the Shory to name a few.  It's difficult to know what this particular group of fanatics might be referring to.

Rain Only

The Qlippoth Lord Shiggarreb is also known as the Marauding Maw.

(( Barhuce, Domino, Rain and Vri please roll Initiatives.  T'Sarra and Val are unaware during the Surprise Round ))

Name
Stealth
1d20+4 16
5 Perception
1d20+1-14 11
6 Perception
1d20+1-9 13
7 Perception
1d20+3-14 1
8 Perception
1d20+1-10 7
9 Perception
1d20+1-15 7
0 Perception
1d20+1-10 11
A Perception
1d20+1-9 18
B Perception
1d20+1-9 7

Barhuce

spacer.pngBahruce lets out a small ‘it was too good to last’ sigh and gets himself ready.

He snaps a crossbow bolt at the lead cultist and then drops the crossbow.

Statblock

Barhuce
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch

Edited by Inash (see edit history)
Name
Init
1d20+4 2
Attack
1d20+2 16
Damage
1d6+1 5

Domino 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 10/08  | AC 14Fort (01) - Reflex (05) - Will (00)  |  I do not dream of electric sheep.

"Fate is capricious."  Domino muses as she puts the coin away.  "And she has a sense of humor." 

She produces her rapier and joins the stranger in impending combat.  

"If they are distracted enough, we could try just running past them."  

OOC

BAB is +0, so Domino cannot draw a weapon while moving.  

Move action to draw weapon. 

Close distance.

Map Link

Name
Initiative
1d20+3 9

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 11/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20)+4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None 

"I think we're about to be found out," Vri whispered, readying her weapon to rush the enemy.  As soon as Bahruce shot his crossbow, she rushed out to the nearest cultist and tried to stab him/her.

Round 1/surprise

move to closest (cultist 9)

attack for damage

Edited by farothel (see edit history)
Name
Initiative
1d20+3 16
attack
1d20+5 16
damage
1d6+1 2

Rain-in-Summer

B8278D38-D56D-4D10-84D2-D1157F76821D.png.118b158dda0b886a8d97c1aa24ef7467.png“These are worshippers of the Qlippoth Lord Shiggarreb.” Rain steps forward to get a better view of the combat and begins casting sleep. The scent of pine begins to pervade the chamber the chanting is coming from, and the cultists begin to feel drowsy.

Casting Sleep. Takes one round, so will resolve at the beginning of Rain’s next turn.

Edited by madMonk (see edit history)
Name
Init
1d20+7 19

Combat — Surprise Round

Initiative Order

PCs: Average(R 26, Vr 19, ??? 18, D 12, B 6) = 16.2

Cultists: Unaware

"ኴኒኪኪጢ"  As the small group of cultists drew closer, Rain began mumbling some mesmerizing words for her spell.

From behind them back on the other side of the ritual chamber, Domino silently drew her rapier as she watched the other woman suddenly charge forward and bum rush one of the hooded figures, shoving them across the lip of the circular pit and into it, but not without eating an elbow in the face in return.

The shock of one of their ranks being bodychecked into the pit must've caused no small amount of alarm for the remaining cultists, for the chanting all came to a sudden halt, giving way to various cries of outrage.

The three that had detached themselves from the main ritual and headed down towards the holding cell were equally stunned, as they turned to the screams of those behind them, only to be ambushed by the group of escapees from inside the storage area.

Reacting quickly to their impending discovery, Barhuce took a quick shot at the woman whose voice had been heard coming down the hall.  The characteristic KCHACK of the trigger releasing the string, and the relatively silent whizz of the bolt flying towards its target, was followed by a satisfying yet sickening CKSLURPT as the bolt's needle bodkin head sinks through the chainmail and finds purchase into the right forearm of Barhuce's mark.  Obviously outraged, the distinctly masked cultist let out a cry of pain, before shouting, "Get them!"

Then immediately on cue, Vri charges forward against the closest enemy, her rapier piercing the abdomen of her opponent through their studded leather's bodice.  This masked woman and the other accompanying the one who seemed to be in the lead looked confusedly first at one another, before springing into action.

(( Remainder please roll Initiative.  All proceed to regular combat. ))

Name
??? Initiative
1d20+6 12
6 AoO v ???
19; 2
1d20;1d6/2 [19];
??? Bull Rush
1d20+1 18
6 Fall Damage
1d6 4
H,C,A,P,LA, LF,RA,RF,LT,LC,RT,RC
7; 3
1d12;1d12 [7]; [3]

T'Sarra Khonnor 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 11/11  | AC 19(+1 vs robots)Fort (2) - Reflex (3) - Will (2) | Spells: 2/4 remaining

Temporary conditions

• Bless: +1 to attack and saves vs. fear (morale)

"Qlippoth. Not sure that's better or worse than bog-standard demon. Guess it doesn't matter now!" She descended into momentary vision, stunning her while the others got the jump on their opponents. But it wasn't long and she was out of it.

She cast first, hoping to bolster the fortunes of her crew, then stepped out into the hall and the thick of it.

DON'T FORGET YOUR BLESS BONUS!!!

Swift:

Move: As on map

Standard: Cast bless

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)
Name
initiative
1d20+3 8