Out-of-Character Stuff

Blue Jay

1 hour ago, Rudolf said:

Yes, but I have a fond memory of this guy…

IMG_2089.png

I think that we should imagine that as a whip, questionable yeah but I think it's in the booklets and later Belmont Whip became his staple weapon.

Get me a metal whip that does real damage, and I’m in.

Oriental Adventures, if I remember correctly, had a regular chain as a weapon (no spikes) that was interesting.

There's the Whip-Dagger from Arms & Equipment, but it never got a 3.5 update so it still uses the extra awkward 3.0 rules where whips were treated like ranged weapons, and you had to buy a "Mighty" version if you wanted to add Str to damage.

Pathfinder has a 'scorpion whip':

Whip, Scorpion

Cost 5 gp Weight 3 lbs.
Damage 1d3 (small), 1d4 (medium) Critical x2 Type slashing
Category light Proficiency exotic
Weapon Group flails
Special disarm, performance, reach, trip

This whip has a series of razor-sharp blades and fangs inset along its tip.

It deals lethal damage, even to creatures with armor bonuses. If you are proficient with both the scorpion whip and whip, you can use a scorpion whip in either the normal way (as a light performance weapon) or as a whip. When you use a scorpion whip as a whip, it is equivalent to a whip, but deals lethal damage and can harm creatures regardless of their armor bonus.

For comparison, here is the standard whip in Pathfinder:

Cost 1 gp Weight 2 lbs.
Damage 1d2 (small), 1d3 (medium) Critical x2 Type slashing
Category one-handed Proficiency exotic
Weapon Group flails
Special disarm, nonlethal, reach, trip

A whip deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).

Using a whip provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon.

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a whip sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon. Wielding a whip in two hands does not add 1-1/2 times your Strength modifier to damage rolls as with other weapons (UE update).

Edited by Inash (see edit history)

I'm sorry this was the joke, Blue and I had some talks about the chain where he called users of the chain as edgelords, I said something against, but today I was looking for a pic not even connected to the chain and got THAT, if you look at full-scale picture...yeah it is my first edgelord character 101, all spikes aside it has as skull on his chest for some reason and black smoke evaporating from him. That was me humbly accepting my defeat in that.

As the weapon goes my views have not changed, it is without any doubt the best Shadow Hand weapon and above-average light weapon that can follow that tree. That's the reason I placed it in this thread and not questions. I mean look at the dude he can't rub his eyes from sweat unless he wants to become very, very blind. Too many of you took this jab too seriously. Look at the pic and honestly say. "Yeah, that seems fine all to the c*ck spike." I love the chain in both systems, 3.5 and PF1 and I frankly don't care what others think. But this pic is in the Blues corner all the way (kill it, kill it with fire corner)

I got the joke because I was working on a conceptual build when the conversation happened and had to get rid of the spiked chain it was going to use 🤣

But I like coming up with viable whip builds for 3.X - I don't care how impractical it is as a weapon. Which isn't easy using 3.5 only. I've got a Jester | Mountebank of all things that works as a passable whip tripper and disabler build. If you're willing to spend a feat, Duskblades can be effective with them as well thanks to Arcane Channeling.

13 minutes ago, MrNeech said:

I got the joke because I was working on a conceptual build when the conversation happened and had to get rid of the spiked chain it was going to use 🤣

But I like coming up with viable whip builds for 3.X - I don't care how impractical it is as a weapon. Which isn't easy using 3.5 only. I've got a Jester | Mountebank of all things that works as a passable whip tripper and disabler build. If you're willing to spend a feat, Duskblades can be effective with them as well thanks to Arcane Channeling.

The thing is I intended for it to be kinda sarcastic me saying "uncle" because when I saw that pic, I said to myself "Yeah no shit everyone will think us assholes" also even if I have to kinda cheat on profile pics (there is bunch without a weapon after all) I won't stop using the weapon. It is "edgelord" weapon because of the artists, nothing else. Same as Whips (I'm sorry I'm a lot less versed in them) I think there are 3 kinds, but when you look at artwork it is not...good. Why whips and chains could not be portrayed as any martial arts weapon as Kusarigama, three-segmented nunchaku. Someone, somewhere decided that those are "evil" weapons and artwork reflected that. Nothing prevents a Paladin from using any of those weapons as game rules go. And as long as I make Swordsages they will have Spiked Chain, because they are hands down the best weapon for the Class with Shadow Hand. If that offend someone's sensibilities, too bad. And as Blue said if I see the enemy using Spiked Chain I will do my best to kill the crap out of him/her, with my character using Spiked Chain. What kinda pulled my tail was that my post was supposed to be a light one in which I surrendered to the artistic representation of the weapon. Because...come on...I never saw that many spiked studs on armor. He should glued "I'm Evil" somewhere. It was a joke. And there were too many serious answers for my liking. Thank god for Steel Warrior and his teachings

8 hours ago, MrNeech said:

There's the Whip-Dagger from Arms & Equipment, but it never got a 3.5 update so it still uses the extra awkward 3.0 rules where whips were treated like ranged weapons, and you had to buy a "Mighty" version if you wanted to add Str to damage.

The whip-dagger was updated in Dragon #353 (in the article about Malcanthet, of course). I can approve that weapon.

And @Grudge, don't take me seriously with regards to the spiked chain. I'm cranky and overly opinionated about some things.

On 5/7/2024 at 1:06 AM, Blue Jay said:

The whip-dagger was updated in Dragon #353 (in the article about Malcanthet, of course). I can approve that weapon.

And @Grudge, don't take me seriously with regards to the spiked chain. I'm cranky and overly opinionated about some things.

We in essence agree but are cranky about different things. You about the weapon and characters that usually represent, I'm cranky about the reason for it. Every time I want a good character that uses the chain it's impossible to find a pic (as seen above) It's like all artists decided for some reason, that this is a weapon for shady people. And there are always capes, hoods, glowing eyes, steel studs, black leather etc... It drives me insane. That's why my chain using Swordages usually has a picture without a weapon. I can't take an upper pic and seriously claim I'm as even CG, he has a skull nailed to his chest for God sake