Phoera Hunt IC

Blue Jay

Ez ChazakIMG_1869.jpeg

FYIJust bought two scrolls, now listed on character sheet.

Ez looked askance at the conversation between Talissa and the horse. “What language is that? Do you know it well? I suspect we can learn a great deal by observing. And it seems like the time to start is now.”

Ez will stake out a place with good visibility, and quietly, patiently wait to observe phoera in the distance.

Survival Roll

Sheet https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2825151

Name
Roll
1d20+6 8

'[IMG]http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/garath2002/owl_girl_face_zps8elbexoz.jpg[/IMG]'
HooGrawr grimaces. "I am still against the idea of live bait, but I guess if we can find a way to get the bait out, I can go along with that.

She begins trying to construct a live-capture snare.

Actions/Rolls

survival check1d20+6

Statblock

HooGrawr
F CN/CG Just ... don't ask Owlbear | Nymph, Level 3, Init 1, HP 36/36, DR 1/cold iron, Speed 30 (swim 20)
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 14, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 3, Base Attack Bonus 3
x2 Claw 7 (1d4+4, )
Peck 5 (1d8+2, )
(+1 Dex, +1 Size, +3 Natural)
Abilities Str 17, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 18
Condition As Shown: Deceptively innocent form
Natural form: Large size, no armor and -2 to AC and attack (from size change)

Edited by Inash (see edit history)
Name
survival
1d20+6 6

The Woods

Talissa smiles politely at Ez. "That's Ignan," she says, "The language of fire elementals. Chee is just a horse: she doesn't really understand words, but people say it's good to talk to animals. It makes them feel safe and friendly around you."

Ez sets up to watch for the phoera. He picks a decent spot with good visibility (which requires climbing a tall tree), and waits for a sighting.

Meanwhile, HooGrawr takes an hour or so to construct a rudimentary snare to try to catch a rabbit or other small animal.

Shortly after the snare is complete, Ez calls and points to the sky. He sees something flying in the distance. However, after a few minutes, it becomes clear that this is actually a mundane eagle, and not a phoera at all.

((Let's have everyone roll Listen and Spot checks.))

Edited by Blue Jay (see edit history)

IMG_1869.jpeg.5efe7aa0d412f2115c30c5ce3fa94fd7.jpeg“If your people all speak that language, then it would be useful to learn it. Maybe not to speak with the horse, but then again, who knows?”

A naturally strong climber, Ez keeps his eyes peeled for phoera.

Name
Listen
1d20+4 3
Spot
1d20+4 2

Kildrak Grimbeard

image.jpeg.6c1c5fa30c28436108e1bd409f5b4ed1.jpegBefore the group stepped through the portal, Kildrak had excused himself to purchase some gear from the market. When he returned, he did not visibly seem different or more equipped, but rather he now had four identical orange-hued potions secured by leather straps on his thick dwarvish belt. Those knowledgeable in alchemy may recognize them as potions of resist energy.

Once he entered the forest with the others, he took a position near the front of the party. While he was no good as a hunter, he could serve as the front line of defense between them and unknown danger. So, that's what he did.

Mechanics & OOC

Statblock

Kildrak Grimbeard
Male LN Dwarf Fighter 4 || Warblade 4, Level 4, Init 2, HP 63/63, Speed 20ft
AC 23, Touch 10, Flat-footed 23, Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 0, Base Attack Bonus +4
Masterwork Warhammer +8 (1d8+3, x3)
Throwing Axe (x2) +6 (1d6, x2)
Masterwork Half-Plate Armor, +1 Tower Shield (+8 Armor, +5 Shield)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 10
Condition None

-

Name
Spot
1d20-1 10
Listen
1d20-1 11

Woods

The party kind of hangs around this location for some time, hoping for some more clues to emerge. Ez is not able to spot the phoera, even from a distance, but he does see a few signs that the phoera (or at least a large predatory bird of some kind) was in this location within the past few days: there are some deep scratch marks on a tree where a large bird perched and either sharpened its talons or made some kind of deliberate marking. And there's one feather in a bush: it's an orangish-brown and has a coppery gloss to it.

Later in the afternoon, HooGrawr's trap goes off, and it seems to have snared a large rabbit.

IMG_1869.jpeg.5efe7aa0d412f2115c30c5ce3fa94fd7.jpeg“It’s a clue. Not a great clue, but still…” explains Ez, holding up the feather.

It means it’s in the area, and will likely come back to hunt in the future. We should use the cage to make a trap, and find a way to hide ourselves. Nice job with the bait.”

Kildrak Grimbeard

image.jpeg.6c1c5fa30c28436108e1bd409f5b4ed1.jpeg"You've a smart head on your shoulders, goat-man!" Kildrak remarked in response to Ez's plan, clapping him on the lower back encouragingly. "I'll follow your lead."

Mechanics & OOC

Statblock

Kildrak Grimbeard
Male LN Dwarf Fighter 4 || Warblade 4, Level 4, Init 2, HP 63/63, Speed 20ft
AC 23, Touch 10, Flat-footed 23, Fort 6, Ref 5, Will 0, Base Attack Bonus +4
Masterwork Warhammer +8 (1d8+3, x3)
Throwing Axe (x2) +6 (1d6, x2)
Masterwork Half-Plate Armor, +1 Tower Shield (+8 Armor, +5 Shield)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 10
Condition None

-

Gregory

spacer.pngGregory jumps at the sight. "Hey! It just flew into the foliage! It's moving that way!" pointing into the direction it flew.

"It's nearby and it knows we are here. Get things ready quick! Intelligent or not be ready for anything!"

'[IMG]http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/garath2002/owl_girl_face_zps8elbexoz.jpg[/IMG]'
HooGrawr frowns as she works to move the rabbit to the cage for the cage for the Phoera. "I hope you are able to escape little one. If not, I am sorry."

She nods at Gregory and backs away from the cage.

Actions/Rolls

Statblock

HooGrawr
F CN/CG Just ... don't ask Owlbear | Nymph, Level 3, Init 1, HP 36/36, DR 1/cold iron, Speed 30 (swim 20)
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 14, Fort 5, Ref 4, Will 3, Base Attack Bonus 3
x2 Claw 7 (1d4+4, )
Peck 5 (1d8+2, )
(+1 Dex, +1 Size, +3 Natural)
Abilities Str 17, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 18
Condition As Shown: Deceptively innocent form
Natural form: Large size, no armor and -2 to AC and attack (from size change)

Name
spot
1d20+6 8
listen
1d20+6 19

LivV8Uu.jpg

Ministatblock

Sheethttps://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1511981
Name: Gothika
Race: Erinyes
Classes: Erinyes 5/ Warmage 5
Ongoing Effects:

Gothika remembers some information about elementals and undeath "I recall that mostly elementals do not rise as undead, however there is such a creature called a Cinderspawn that does rise as an undead. Their damage is usually opposite to their normal damage, so a fire elemental's damage is cold.

When they pop through the portal Gothika helps to catch the rabbit.

Contact?

Whatever Gregory saw --- the phoera, perhaps? --- it seems to have run off into the foliage away from the meadow you're in. You wait for a few moments, but it doesn't return immediately. Would you like to keep waiting for it?

Gregory

spacer.pngNot seeing it return and not seeing anyone really move much, causes him shake his head. "I would start following it, but I'm not very fast, nor am I a very good tracker. Researcher and spellcaster - yes, but tracker no. I do believe however we should start moving as it isn't going to come to us voluntarily." Gregory does take a few steps towards the direction it flew to before stopping and awaiting a response from the rest.