Chapter 3: Return to Stormshelm

Eric

Stoyan and Vanya lead the charge once more, chopping down two of the skeletons with mighty blows. Astrid's best effort comes up a miss, perhaps still off balance by the effort of drawing Thorkell back from the line. Ohthere keeps the third skeleton busy, but his menacing sword-work fails to make contact.

In the end, though, Thorkell angrily waves off Aurora's aid and leaps back into the battle, practically jumping down the steps to engage the last skeleton. His sword comes down in a massive overhand cut that cleaves the skeleton's dry bones into fragments, dispelling the evil energy that had kept it mobile.

🎖️ VICTORY!

⏲️ TURN 6

🔦 Torches 5/10 remaining

Action Summary
  • Astrid: mace attack - MISS
  • Ohthere: sword attack - MISS
  • Golan: guard
  • Stoyan: axe attack - HIT! 7 damage
  • Vanya: sword attack - HIT! 6 damage
  • Thorkell: sword attack - HIT! 4 damage
  • Aurora: N/A
  • Yorp: N/A
  • Rylan: N/A

spacer.pngAfter their victory, Thorkell turned his sword to the floor, and he leant against the wall for a moment to catch his breath. With the battle won, and the excitement slowly wearing off, he begun to feel the pain of his injury, but he grit his teeth and said nothing, stoically enduring his fate without complaint.

"And order may turn to chaos yet again." he replied to Astrid as soon as she had finished her sentence. "But you must not do that again-if fate or the gods have written that I must die, then so be it. I do not wish to be yanked away from the frontline again-not against my own will, in any case. Can you swear it?"

image.png.43d2d6ae4e6cc87532fc661aa2253990.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

"And stay dead!" Stoyan continues to break bones, not trusting that they won’t rise up again.

Show Stats

STRENGTH 14 +1 to hit and damage

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

DEXTERITY 7 -1 AC, and range attacks

CONSTITUTION 13 +1 hit point

CHARISMA 12

Hit Points: 7/7

Armour Class: 3 (Plate Mail (3), Shield (Bonus of 1), DEX (Penalty of 1))

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow 1d6

Actions

Kill

spacer.pngTurning to Vanya first, and then to Aurora (whose aid he can better acknowledge now that their foes have been destroyed), Thorkell attempted to reassure the two warrior-women.

"It is nothing but a scratch. Now let us press onwards."

image.png.43d2d6ae4e6cc87532fc661aa2253990.png
Stoyan Barakovsen

"I do not want an enemy coming at us from our rear," Stoyan huffs, "Let's go down here later once we have cleared this level."

Show Stats

STRENGTH 14 +1 to hit and damage

INTELLIGENCE 9

WISDOM 11

DEXTERITY 7 -1 AC, and range attacks

CONSTITUTION 13 +1 hit point

CHARISMA 12

Hit Points: 7/7

Armour Class: 3 (Plate Mail (3), Shield (Bonus of 1), DEX (Penalty of 1))

THAC0: 1d20+1 Battle Axe 1d8+1, 1d20-1 Crossbow 1d6

Actions

Speak

viking_warrior_sketch_by_josephqiuart_dblccfw-375w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9Nzg2IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNDkyNzQwZjEtZjdhYy00ZWY3LTllZmMtODVmZTA5ZTdiNjczXC9kYmxjY2Z3LTFmMjdiMjM2LTc3NmEtNDZjMS1iMjk4LThlNjE1YmIyYTFhYS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9Njg2In1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.8hQ6ZCVFj7HLiBrKrDK68z4QBdybPKRr-6KE5bNktqA
"Don't get your petticoat in a wad. I am just looking to make sure nothing else is going to be coming up the stairs. Besides I am down here so I might as well get some of the lay of the land. Maybe there is a room full of gold and we can all retire without moving any further. Let someone else stop the evil spell slinger." Ohthere says continuing to the last step of the stairs.

Looking around.
Edited by Black Wyvern (see edit history)

Ohthere examines the space at the bottom of the stair. It opens up to the west, leading to a 30'x30' room that, judging by the crude, scattered belongings, was recently ransacked. Doors in the north and south walls are both open; presumably, the skeletons had to come through one of them unless they were stationary guards.

Meanwhile, up top, Rylen shakes his head. "No one ever said anything about the walking dead. The living you can stab."

Yorp recovers his wits and scrambles down to his located treasure.

Thorkell's torch reveals that in the center of the room to the north, there is a heavy log suspended by a rope above a large wooden chest.

⏲️ TURN 7

🔦 Torches 4/10 remaining

spacer.pngThorkell moved his torch in a better position, and with his sword-point he indicated the chest, and the log floating above it-a strange sight in this ransacked, half-ruined place.

"I am no thief," he said, quietly, addressing their entire gathering, "...and yet, I do not need to be one to recognise that *that* thing is a trap. Is there anyone amongst us with skill enough to disarm it?"