Chapter 5 โ€” An Invitation You Can't Refuse

iantruesilver

Keshka

KeshkaPortrait.png.c5a8b8226b763306509344da12ab2897.png

Keshka awkwardly coughed, interjecint at the end of T'Sarra's long speech. "Uh, hey Matuq. Kat said some of the stuff I was brought back with was dropped off here? Was just wondering if I could pick that up. Some ... worm carcasses?" She looked a little embarrassed to ask for them, they had probably not been in the best condition when she had been brought back.

Statblock

[b][url=/sheets/?id=2857070]Keshka[/url][/b] [i]Changeling (Winter Hag) Galvanic Saboteur (Ranger) 1 NN[/i] [b]HP[/b] 12 / 12 [b]Speed[/b] ft [b]Init[/b] 3 [b]AC[/b] 17 [b]Fort[/b] 3 [b]Ref[/b] 5 [b]Will[/b] 1 [b]CMB[/b] +3 [b]BAB[/b] 1 [b]Claw[/b] +3 (1d4+2, x2) [b]Longbow[/b] +4 (1d8, x3) [b]Str[/b] 14 (2) [b]Dex[/b] 17 (3) [b]Con[/b] 12 (1) [b]Wis[/b] 13 (1) [b]Int[/b] 10 (0) [b]Cha[/b] 9 (-1)
Keshka Changeling (Winter Hag) Galvanic Saboteur (Ranger) 1 NN
HP 12 / 12 Speed ft Init 3 AC 17
Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 1
CMB +3 BAB 1
Claw +3 (1d4+2, x2)
Longbow +4 (1d8, x3)
Str 14 (2) Dex 17 (3) Con 12 (1) Wis 13 (1) Int 10 (0) Cha 9 (-1)

Text

Hide this

Commonly Used Skills/Special notes

Favored Enemy: Constructs +2
+X Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks
+X bonus on weapon attack/dmg
Can make untrained K skill checks to identify creatures with type

Perception: +5, +7 vs constructs

Actions

Edited by athedia (see edit history)

Barhuce

spacer.pngBarhuce moves to join Matuq in working in the lab. "Yes, we can make liquid ice, but it's probably going to be faster to buy a vial, cheaper too. We've still got a list from yesterday to get through... Durable bolts and what-not."

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2740751][B][SIZE=+1]Barhuce[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 0 [B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2) [B] light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2) [B] Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10 [B]Condition[/B] None
Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), Level 1, Init 4, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 0, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) 3 (1d4+4, x2)
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Dagger 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Lamellar Cuirass (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition None

Actions Crunch

Fort save:

Free:

Standard: attack w mace - w robot slayer trait and i think guidance

Readied action:

Posted (edited)
Torch — Foundry Tavern

spacer.png"I need a drink…" Val moaned under her breath as she pushed through the door out of the foundry, away from the rest of the group without saying a hell of a lot else. Doing a double take after her and to the rest of you, Rain shrugs and follows, the underlying assumption being that she's going to check her.

spacer.png"Yo what's wit' dem?" The half-orc similarly stared after the moody teenager, likely confused as all getout.

Keshka Only

The half-orc Matuq is actually also officially an acolyte of the Temple of Brigh under Clockfather Kyte's flock, though in recent years he's taken a leave of absence to apprentice under Khonnir Baine.

Privately of course, you're privy to a tiny little detail about him and Kathleen that may or may not have been part of this equation.

"Ghetto be ghetto, 'nam sayin'?" Matuq began answering the tiefling directly, "Naw, I ain't bin out in town udder den ta check da waddah dude. Ah ain't seen or heard shit about no brach wit' no purple hair."

A brief shrug and indecisive look toward Barhuce were produced though as she touched on the possibility of making alchemical cold source, and was more than happy to shoulder off the responsibility of answering that one to him.

Turning his attention to Keshka, the gruff demeanoured half-orc pulled the changeling in for a friendly hug as he exchanged pleasantries, "Eh wuzzup nooms, watchu doin'ere, you ain't sick'uh Kat force feedin' ya porridge an' applesauce already are ya?"

"Oh yeah yeah." Reminded about the worms, Matuq started to explain, "Yo, so I took da liberty to pickle off da little suckas for ya y'know?"

"By da way, what was dat lil reed ya had'em wrapped all up in, cuz ionno how long ya been out dere? Dose thangs were like still mint when I got'em." The surly half-orc gestured to a small sample of vegetation on one of the lab tables, which looks remarkably well-preserved considering how much time has most likely passed since the worms had been slain.

Just behind the little pile of reeds are two large jars of a clearish amber liquid, each sporting the coiling carcass of one of the worms in question, the pigmentation of their black and orange bands now only barely perceptible. "I did some axin' round, an' Jhestine over at Temptin' Tonics sed dat I need to do some'in' wit' a catalyst first befoe distillin' dat."

"So like if ya wanna jus chill fer a bit, Imma git ma man Barhuce here ta gimme a hand, should have it fer ya ready by dis evenin'."

[[ Map — Foundry Tavern ]]

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

Keshka

Keshka returned the hug, giving Matuq a punch to the arm as he teased her. "If you wish to experience the Kat special, I am sure we can arrange a near death experience." She admired the jars, impressed at the work Matuq had been able to do with the worms. She picked up the plant turning it over to examine and try to identify. "I didn't wrap them. Got ambushed, knocked out. Guess they are still afraid of being cursed."

She put the plant back down and looked over the jars with the worms one more time. "Hopefully this is useful. But if not, I want one actual meal before going to die tomorrow. Let me know if you need any messages delivered." She gave Matuq another half-arm hug and a grin before going out to the tavern to find Val and Rain.

Statblock

[b][url=/sheets/?id=2857070]Keshka[/url][/b] [i]Changeling (Winter Hag) Galvanic Saboteur (Ranger) 1 NN[/i] [b]HP[/b] 12 / 12 [b]Speed[/b] ft [b]Init[/b] 3 [b]AC[/b] 17 [b]Fort[/b] 3 [b]Ref[/b] 5 [b]Will[/b] 1 [b]CMB[/b] +3 [b]BAB[/b] 1 [b]Claw[/b] +3 (1d4+2, x2) [b]Longbow[/b] +4 (1d8, x3) [b]Str[/b] 14 (2) [b]Dex[/b] 17 (3) [b]Con[/b] 12 (1) [b]Wis[/b] 13 (1) [b]Int[/b] 10 (0) [b]Cha[/b] 9 (-1)
Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 1
CMB +3 BAB 1
Claw +3 (1d4+2, x2)
Longbow +4 (1d8, x3)

Text

Hide this

K(Nature): +4

Actions

Name
K(Nature) to ID plant
1d20+4 3

T'Sarra Khonnor 

spacer.pngT'Sarra Khonnor — Tiefling Oracle 1
AC/T/FF 19/14/15 | HP 11/11 | Init +3 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 3/3/2 | DarkvisionHero Points 1
Active Conditions: +1 to atk and AC vs. robots (robot slayer trait)
Spells:

1st: (4 remaining) Cure light wounds, Bless, Inflict Light Wounds
Cantrips: (unl) detect magic, mending, guidance, create water

Foundry Tavern

T'Sarra laughed watching Keshka and Matuq banter a little, with some light violence of arm punching. She approved. And while she was hardly a big-brained type like Val or Barhuce, she knew a little, a very little about plants.

"Matuq! We gotta make due with porridge and applesause. Kat ain't offerin' us the stuff she force feeds to you, my man. And you know I've asked!" she teased the big half-orc. She always wanted to see if she could make him blush, and what color it'd be.

"What's that you two are looking at?" she leaned in and took at look at the plants Keshka had brought back.

Mechanics

Hardly better than Keshka's 7 but 12 nature? Maybe?

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -1
Climb* +5
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +5

* -1 ACP to str and dex skills  

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)
Name
nature
1d20+4 8

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 10/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20) +4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None
hero points: 0/1

"I'll leave you two to it then," Vri said to Matuq and Barhuce. He knowledge of alchemy was not much more than chuck the vial and make sure you didn't drop it in front of you. Important to know, but not something that would help in the current situation. With a nod she went into the inn to see if she could help there.

OOC

Barhuce

spacer.pngBarhuce pauses deciding what to work on first, his curiosity peaked by the mystery plant. "Reed with preservative properties? Interesting" He joins T'sarra in taking a look.

Statblock

[URL=/sheets/?id=2740751][B][SIZE=+1]Barhuce[/SIZE][/B][/URL] M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 4, [B]HP[/B] 9/9, [B]Speed[/B] 30 [B]AC[/B] 15, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 13, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 3, [B]Ref[/B] 4, [B]Will[/B] 0, [B]CMB[/B] +1, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 0 [B]1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) [/B] 3 (1d4+4, x2) [B] light Mace [/B] 1 (1d6+1, x2) [B] Dagger [/B] 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2) [B] Lamellar Cuirass[/B] (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect) [B]Abilities[/B] Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10 [B]Condition[/B] None
Barhuce
M NG Human (Kellid) Alchemist (CryptBreaker), Level 1, Init 4, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort 3, Ref 4, Will 0, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
1d8 v undead or constructs, DC 14 Alkahest Bomb (5/day) 3 (1d4+4, x2)
light Mace 1 (1d6+1, x2)
Dagger 1 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Lamellar Cuirass (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 10
Condition None

Actions Crunch

Fort save:

Free:

Standard:

Readied action:

Name
know nature
1d20+8 12

Posted (edited)
Torch — Foundry Tavern (Foundry Side)

T'Sarra and Barhuce Only

This seems to be a perennial species of flowering reed called Purple Avens, primarily found in swamps and wet meadows. The yellowed petaled flowers with purplish sepals bloom typically between Desnus and Arodus.

Barhuce Only

Harvested whole, this plant could be brewed into a medicinal tea for its astringent properties.

What is unusual though about this specimen, is there seems to be some kind of yellowish white residue on the surface of the leaves.

Torch — Foundry Tavern (Tavern Side)

Leaving the others behind for the time being, Keshka and Vri move over to the tavern side of the establishment to check on Val.

spacer.pngAs you get around the kitchen into the tavern's main floor, part of which has recently been cleared for the several bedrolls and extra gear that your group has rolled out, you can already smell the heady scent of alcohol coming from the bar. There, Val is seen slamming back some kind of hard liquor, with several bottles already open in front of her on the bar top and a couple more tipped over and empty.

spacer.pngBeside her, the android Violet is imitating Val's behaviour, slapping back shot glass for shot glass with the young blonde. As she finishes consuming her latest drink, she emits a girlish and innocent 'hic!'

spacer.pngAs Val complains mostly under her breath about this that and the other thing, mostly to do with her recent troubles, Rain tries her best to console the young woman, but to no obvious avail.

Just then, a stiff sounding trio of knocks sounds from the tavern's front door, which is weird, it's not like the townsfolk don't know the place has been closed since Khonnir's disappearance.

spacer.pngStanding there just inside the front entrance is a nervous looking courier, his eyes darting around trying to figure out which one of you to approach. After a moment of uncomfortable silence, he finally stumbles out, "Eh…xcuse me, I have a message here for, for…" and he looks down quickly to double check, "Torch's newest heroes?"

Keshka

Seeing the inebriated Val, Keshka slipped behind the bar to gently move the hard liquor away before the kid drank herself to uselessness tomorrow. She found some water and poured it for both herself and Val. It felt wrong to help herself to any of the drinks. "Hey kid, you won't be in any shape to leave bed tomorrow if you continue like that. We can work on some targets or something more productive to get whatever bugs you out."

She looked up sharply at the knocking on the door, then over at Vri. Keshka didn't think being brought back unconscious and spending a few weeks asleep was any sign of a hero, so it must be the others the man referred to . And of those present Vri was probably the only one coherent enough to speak for the group right now.

Statblock

Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 1
CMB +3 BAB 1
Claw +3 (1d4+2, x2)
Longbow +4 (1d8, x3)

Text

Hide this

Actions

T'Sarra Khonnor 

AC/T/FF 19/14/15 | HP 11/11 | Init +3 | Speed 30ft | Fort/Ref/Will 3/3/2 | DarkvisionHero Points 1
Spells:

Foundry Tavern

T'Sarra frowned as she leaned in, unaware that only a few hundred feet away there was a drunken teen party going on.

"Well, that's just purple avens. Nothing special about it, grows all over in the wet lands around here. But what's that?" she pointed towards the residue.

"What's so special about this plant anyways? Why are you looking at it, Matuq? What's Keshka curious about?"

Mechanics

17 on the residue...

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -1
Climb* +5
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +5

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)
Name
nature on the yellow white residue
1d20+4 13

Posted (edited)
Torch — Foundry Tavern (Foundry Side)

spacer.png"Ionno man. Whatever it is, dis stuff kept dem worms fresh, is all." Indeed, Matuq's observation in this matter is keen. However long it took Keshka to transport those worms back to Torch, they seem quite plump still now sitting in their pickling jars, and not at all as shrivelled as one might expect.

T'Sarra Only

Upon closer inspection, the yellowish white residue smells quite like vinegar. All of a sudden it all seems to make sense. This fine crystaline powder must have once been the acidic mucous exuded by those two zhen worms in those jar in the back.

spacer.png"What are you, my mother?" Behaving completely inappropriately to someone looking out for her wellbeing and trying to help, "Not a chance you skunge, dream on. My dad ain't available, Gods-uhn..."

With that, the callous human girl took a drunken swipe at Keshka to try and retrieve some of those bottles of liquor. But in Val's current state, not only did she miss the mark by a few inches, she also overextended in the process, leaving herself rather embarrassingly open for a counter-maneuver should the changeling wish to exploit it.

spacer.pngMeanwhile just beside them, Violet innocently looks up and, quite smiliarly sloshed as her human surrogate sibling, answered Val's question guilelessly, "That is unlikely, as you do not bear any resemblance to the odd-eyed one, Val."

spacer.pngAs all this raucous ensues, the courier boy just shuffles awkwardly inside the front door, not really knowing who or how to proceed.

Name
Val CMB vs Keshka
1d20-4 16

Keshka

Keshka moved out of the way of the drunk girls swing, attempting to get a hold of her so she didn't hurt herself. A task made more difficult by Keshka trying to avoid catching her with her hardened nails.

"Mothers are overrated. Trust me."

She took a second to glare at Violet. "I'll give that a pass. For now."

Statblock

Keshka Changeling (Winter Hag) Galvanic Saboteur (Ranger) 1 NN HP 12 / 12 Speed ft Init 3 AC 17 Fort 3 Ref 5 Will 1 CMB +3 BAB 1 Claw +3 (1d4+2, x2)
Longbow +4 (1d8, x3) Str 14 (2) Dex 17 (3) Con 12 (1) Wis 13 (1) Int 10 (0) Cha 9 (-1)

Text

Hide this

Edited by athedia (see edit history)
Name
CMB vs Val
1d20+3 4

T'Sarra Khonnor 

Spells:

Foundry Tavern

T'Sarra nodded along with Matuq.

"Makes sense. Some sort of preservative. Not sure why Keshka cares about it, but I guess I can pass the word on." she stood up and looked out.

"I guess she went over tavern way. I won't be any help with the alchemy, might as well let her know. Can come check back a little later on you two boys. Don't get into too much trouble."

She smiled at Matuq and Barhuce and then moved off and across to the tavern, not at all prepared for what she was going to find there.

Mechanics

17 on the residue...

Move:
Standard:
Free:

Trained Skills

Acrobatics* -1
Climb* +5
Diplomacy +7
Handle Animal +4
Knowledge (nature) +4
Linguistics +1
Perception +6
Survival +4
Swim* +5

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass ‘Vri’ Arund
Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 10/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20) +4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None
hero points: 0/1

As Keshka had already taken the bottles away, Vri didn't have to do so.

"Take it from me that drinking yourself into a stupor isn't the answer," she said, "and if you want to find your father, you should be at your best and not sporting a hangover."

Then she turned to the messanger.

"I guess that's us, so what's up?"

OOC

Posted (edited)

The tiefling walks in to what truly looks to be an extremely awkward situation at the tavern. There's yelling, accompanied by what could be a catfight at the bar. Empty bottles and shot glasses betray the amount of drinks that likely have been recently consumed, and there's some stranger at the front, clearly intimidated and nervously approaching Vri.

spacer.png"Let go'a my rye!~~" Behind the bar, Val manages to slip under Keshka's attempt to grab her, but as she spins around and reaches back up to try and grab the bottle yet again, she near stumbles right into the bar with her face, missing it only last second as she sticks her head up and ends up bump checking it with her chest. "Oww!"

spacer.pngTo the backdrop of all this, with Keshka and Rain doing everything they can to keep Val out of trouble, and the android letting up another drunken hiccup, the courier hesitantly fishes a rolled up piece of paper out of his pouch and shakily hands it over to the half-elf.

Name
Val CMB vs Keshka
1d20-4 3

ร—
ร—