The Tomb

hoverfrog

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

Replenishing Consumption, the reason I went ghoul, looks like a 4th level feat, so have to wait a while. Sal will happily continue from the rear ranks..

Think of these trolblins as appetizers until/if we reach 4th level.

Unrelated: just noticed something. If you click on the emoji in the toolbar and scroll all the way down, one finds the PF2E action icons, viz. :TwoActions: :Reaction: etc.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

So, I was reviewing oil of unlife and other options, and noticed people claiming the alchemical 'Soothing Tonic' should work on undead since it's alchemical and not a 'positive' healing effect. It's sort of tied up in limbo with Paizo having tried to make it easier to play undead ancestries and archetypes, but not fully rewriting the rules to clarify things. They had specified certain spells that worked and introduced oil of unlife, but they didn't do a comprehensive job.

I prepped a couple Soothing Tonics initially because I had read the above discourse claiming it works, but I wanted to go back now that we have a moment and get the GM's input. Do Soothing Tonics work on us, or not? If not, I'll be sure not to prep any during the next in-game day's preparations.

So we seem to have three options for any further healing (if determined upon) of Sal and Razvan:

• wait 30 mins of IG time to attempt Stitch Flesh.
  • use the Soothing Tonic (s).
  • use the Oil(s) of Unlife.

I wanted to wait for clarification and discussion before replying to @VennDygrem latest IG post.

From an OOC perspective, and assuming the party does not wish to linger down here in this cellar for too long, I think the Soothing Tonics are the more reliable option: given a minute, that's a guaranteed +10 hps that would bring Sal to 20/22 and Razvan to 31/32. The Oils of Unlife, with their random d8 might not do "much," but even 1 hp of healing at 0 hp stops the Dying (or for us, I suppose Destruction) process. We might need them (at least the minor variant) as a sort of dark stabilize option.

Just one perspective though. And, of course, IC, the Oils are a party resource and the Tonics are Krott's.

@Starhawk  would you explain last IC post? I don't understand a 1d8 roll followed by 1d8+5. I get the 1d8 for using an Oil of Undeath, but I don't follow the second roll.

Oh, I figured out my confusion ... that was a Lesser Oil of Unlife, not a Minor one: I think I just was assuming the weakest variant. So 2d8+5 which you did via two rolls.

@Ryfte hasn't been on the weave for 2 weeks now so his character is just going to sit this next part out unless he returns. I'm conscious that @allefgib had a long grace period so I'm not planning on booting anyone just yet.

How does this seem?

• A character is NPCed if the player is absent for one weeks.
  • A character excuses themselves (stands guard, hides, lurks at the back, etc) if the player is absent for two weeks.
  • A month's absence without checking in is an auto boot.

I think that covers things in case someone wins the lottery and decides to go on a three month cruise or has an accident that leaves them AFK for a few weeks, etc. If someone ghosts the game then they're out.

All: is there any mechanic in PF2e for simply "moving carefully?" That is, something between a formal Sneak Action and a simple Stride? Put another way, something that might provide a circumstance penalty to an opponent's Seek (Perception) compared to regular moving without a full-fledged attempt to be Undetected?

I suppose a failure at a Sneak still allows one to remain hidden.

Also, there seemed to be some Site oddness around 2110 or so ... I'd submit a roll and the dice would spin, but no result would post. Eventually, I seem to have managed to complete my IC post. Anyone else experience this, or other site hiccups, especially recently?

9 hours ago, Vedast said:

@Starhawk  would you explain last IC post? I don't understand a 1d8 roll followed by 1d8+5. I get the 1d8 for using an Oil of Undeath, but I don't follow the second roll.

Oh, I figured out my confusion ... that was a Lesser Oil of Unlife, not a Minor one: I think I just was assuming the weakest variant. So 2d8+5 which you did via two rolls.

Yeah, I just assumed the weakest one, realized my mistake.

38 minutes ago, Vedast said:

All: is there any mechanic in PF2e for simply "moving carefully?" That is, something between a formal Sneak Action and a simple Stride? Put another way, something that might provide a circumstance penalty to an opponent's Seek (Perception) compared to regular moving without a full-fledged attempt to be Undetected?

I suppose a failure at a Sneak still allows one to remain hidden.

Also, there seemed to be some Site oddness around 2110 or so ... I'd submit a roll and the dice would spin, but no result would post. Eventually, I seem to have managed to complete my IC post. Anyone else experience this, or other site hiccups, especially recently?

I encountered the same issue. Tried adding a Stealth roll to my post.

Technically, stealth rolls should be hidden checks by the GM, so it wouldn't quite matter, but I think hoverfrog said we should just roll. Most creatures can only 'Sneak' while stealthy characters like rogues have more options. There's probably an archetype out there, too, and some skill feats may help. But at our level, the options are limited. That said, the 'Sneak' action is for combat and around enemies. Outside of combat, you're likely looking at 'exploration mode' gameplay, which operates using different rules.

--edit--
Here we go: 'Avoid Notice'

Edited by VennDygrem (see edit history)

^

Yes, I actually used that (Avoid Notice) on 3SEP (page 3 of the game thread). It seems to be a question as to whether one is in Encounter Mode or Exploration Mode. I actually wasn't sure here just tonight, so I defaulted to staying in Encounter Mode given the short travel distances. But I like the idea of a single Stealth Check being a kind of "Move Silently" equivalent.

Later addition: I'd be happy to take that first stealth check rolled (19) as being an Avoid Notice check for Razvan in lieu of Sneak if GM wishes to use this approach.

And a 4. Go figure..

In this game I've rolled minimum damage, then a 4. In another game of Pf1 I threw a DC17 positive channel on 7 undead all with +4 will saves to turn them, every single one saved. I tried again, every single one saved again. I tried to trip someone who came at me with my spear, rolled below 5 again, and knocked myself prone. The fighter who attacked my assailant rolled a 1 on an attack. He used a hero point and rolled a 1 again. The undead attack rolled a 20, then confirmed, then rolled near maximum damage.

This is how the evolution of stronger PCs occurs, when the MW dice roller is obviously pursuing a vendetta against you. In another game I have a fighter with a crit 15-20 weapon. She gets a crit check whenever there's a blood moon in a leap year.

What have I learned?

1. Spring loaded wrist sheathes can be a life saver.

2. Carry two wands in them for close encounters, because you don't want to trigger an AOO when you're in a corner.

3. Forget the turn undead feat and go with Improved Channel to raise the save DC by 2.

4. It's ok to let hostages die because the dice gods make turn undead useless.

Edited by Starhawk (see edit history)