Out-of-Character Stuff

Blue Jay

2 hours ago, Delia2531 said:

I always find the fact that you can be good at climbing and jumping but now swimming interesting, and amusing. Big, strong, tough guys (and girls) who are then unable to get in to deep water for fear of drowning.

Bah I always try to find IC reasons for it (for example I didn't have enough skill points to put into swimming and riding for my Goliath, so I decided hey he comes from tall mountains where rivers might be fast but are usually narrow or shallow so he couldn't find one he wasn't able to jump over or walk through and mountain peaks and riding animals don't gel particularly well), but I think in designers mind swimming is more tied to speed and agility so large buff men and women while all they have to do is grab a stone and pull up to climb has to have certain coordination and skill to swim successfully. Which., whoever sees skill needed in freebase climbing, recognizes as BS but we also need to keep in mind that most of those skill rules were written when a lot of stuff about the Human body, its mechanics, and stuff like that, was just not known. So we have to somehow live with that dichotomy.

Hey everyone, I'm going to take some time to update the Looking for Group table that lists which characters are available for missions. To do this, I'll need your help. Please head on over there and submit any corrections that need to be made, following the format in my recent post there. Thank you!

Posting here rather than questions since it's me telling on myself rather than asking a question. 🤦‍♂️When I built my warlock I grotesquely undercharged myself for a mithral breastplate - basing the price on the category it becomes rather than the category it starts as. Very silly, I know, but it happened. It hasn't come up in game yet, so I hope it's okay that I swapped over to a chain shirt. I didn't refund the 100gp difference - I consider it a silly tax for the mistake.

I'll be in the corner until I can math properly (which will probably be 10,000 years, give or take).

1 hour ago, MrNeech said:

Posting here rather than questions since it's me telling on myself rather than asking a question. 🤦‍♂️When I built my warlock I grotesquely undercharged myself for a mithral breastplate - basing the price on the category it becomes rather than the category it starts as. Very silly, I know, but it happened. It hasn't come up in game yet, so I hope it's okay that I swapped over to a chain shirt. I didn't refund the 100gp difference - I consider it a silly tax for the mistake.

I'll be in the corner until I can math properly (which will probably be 10,000 years, give or take).

By the chain shirt, I assume you messed up with Medium armor, I did the same with the hHeavy once. I would probably stand on the pole of shame at the heat death of the universe 😂

Anyone here was one of the lucky ones to get their hand on the preview of "Improved" D&D? Release day is approaching. I love how they try to massage us. "Oh don't worry, no need to spend a dime if you don't want, this is the same 5E you enjoyed so far. Reminds me of reading old interviews before the release of 3.5, 3.0 was dropped as the brick unless there wasn't 3.5 alternative. You don't publish 400 page book of "supplemental material", I kinda would respect them more if that just slapped 6 on the end of it.

The odd thing is since I play so much of 3.5 and PF 1, 5E is for me still a "new" edition. Until I open folder with all 5E books, just Core ones. Not counting settings, adventures, modules etc

Sorry I haven't posted for a couple of days, a pair of massive storms came through my area and I was constantly losing power and internet, and my parent's house partially flooded so I've been dealing with that. I'll try to catch up tonight.

While browsing a list of all mundane weapons for future characters' variety, TIL: There are a bunch of polearm weapons in dragon magazine 331. The Lucerne Hammer is basically a bludgeoning scythe in terms of stats with 2d4/x4. All of the polearms have 2d4 damage dice, but only the hammer has x4 crit; the rest are x3. It's so weird. In fact, several of them seem to have been reprinted in the 3.5e PHB (glaive, guisarme, ranseur, halberd)

Lucerne Hammer - 2d4 dmg, x4 crit, 10 lbs, 12 gp

Scythe - 2d4 dmg, x4 crit, 12 lbs, 18 gp

The difference is so negligible. Really, other than damage type the biggest difference is the hammer has reach. It's basically a slightly cheaper, lighter scythe that has reach and can deal bludgeoning damage instead of slashing.

Additional nonsense

If anyone is curious, the other weapons in that magazine are Bardiche (d10/x3 Slashing; Reach), Pilum (1d8/x3 Piercing; Reach, Throwing), Partisan (2d4/x3 Slashing or Piercing; Reach), Spetum (2d4/x3 Piercing; +2 on disarm), Voulge (d10/x3 Slashing; Reach), Naginata (d10/x3 Slashing; Reach) and Duom (1d8/x3 Piercing; Reach, special attack "reverse thrust").

Edited by Faeryl_ (see edit history)

It’s what you get when D&D is created by nerdy wargamers. These are people who discuss whether or not an Italian tercio formation could have dealt with Japanese samurai,

I do like a good comparison war and would likely be at the forefront of them when the junk as Deadliest Warrior was at the peak of popularity, fortunately since then I learned that several hundred years make a difference. For that example at the height of Tercio infantry Samurai were dead and buried, and they would be fielded against the Japanese Imperial Army which incidentally did whip the Samurai. There were so many dumb comparisons like that just it sounds cool that I think the meme Ninjas VS Cowboys was born then.

As for the weapons, I'd say that Lucerne and other pole weapons that had a head of the hammer on one side (some halberds and poleaxes) would be seen as effective at the time since then plate armor of various kinds came into fashion. Even if it's against just brigandine percussive force of the hammer had more chance than just a blade.

Oh definitely. Anything with a spike is shockingly effective against armored targets; doubly so for the hammer heads. Just look at the Bec de Corbin. In fact, go look up Shadiversity on Youtube for plenty of nerdy weapons stuff if you're into that. Can't recommend enough. He also has castle content if you want to expand your horizons a bit. orc9.gif.2ca10593c71329df1f89d3da0b1570ea.gif

1 hour ago, Faeryl_ said:

Oh definitely. Anything with a spike is shockingly effective against armored targets; doubly so for the hammer heads. Just look at the Bec de Corbin. In fact, go look up Shadiversity on Youtube for plenty of nerdy weapons stuff if you're into that. Can't recommend enough. He also has castle content if you want to expand your horizons a bit. orc9.gif.2ca10593c71329df1f89d3da0b1570ea.gif

Yeah, with such weapons that have a spike on the other side, it's kinda like double trouble. First getting whacked over the head with a hammer gets you woozy, to get a spike backed up by the weight of a hammer behind it smacked in one of the armor joints basically immobilizing 1/4 of you, then 1/2 of you then...