Questions

Blue Jay

@Blue Jay Is the matter settled for my question then? As long I take that feat I exchange Clerics Spontaneous Healing for Spontanous Summon and since he is necro it would be Summon Undead rather than Summon Nature Ally? As for @Faeryl_'s idea about adjusting the list ( it does have only 5 levels as to opposed 9 with Natures Ally that can wait, but this is a kind of cornerstone of the build for now, so I'd like to know it as soon it's possible. I know you were in favor but anything else was in Mod's private "chambers'.

8 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

I agree on Natural bond.

I don’t think Devoted tracker needs to change at all. For a Ranger 6//Paladin 6, the creature would get all the benefits of being a special mount AND an animal companion. That’s rather excellent. Without gestalt, you’d have to be 12 level to do this.

That's going to be a 10 HD companion creature in a 6th-level party. I don't know that that's a good idea. Are we okay with that?

I was considering a halfling Scout (light calvary)(and nothing but scout on this side) | Fighter (targeteer) (for warsling and skiprock proficiency and vital aim and enough feats to make a mounted sling fighter workable), with a 2 level dip into ranger (with the mounted combat fighting style), 1 level of paladin (smiting arrow if that's allowed) to get smite and qualify for devoted tracker, and 5 levels of Psychic warrior to pick up some mobility related powers (and psionic shot), then probably fighter for the rest of his career.

I think the most HD I can get (without more ranger levels and staying with a riding dog) is 6 at lvl 6 when it qualifies for Devoted tracker.

If I was planning on ranger 6 | light calvary scout 6, that would be 2 HD from the mount and 4 from the companion, so 8 total for a war dog.

For what it's worth, I like limiting companion/mount HD to ops level + 1.

It's honestly a bit of a tossup if this would be a better build than sticking to just fighter and psychic warrior and leaving the ranger and pally out of the equation.

2 hours ago, Blue Jay said:

That's going to be a 10 HD companion creature in a 6th-level party. I don't know that that's a good idea. Are we okay with that?

To the moderator thread!

Also congratulations to the group for making it first to 100 pages worth of questions, comments, discussions, and mostly answered inquires! Only another several 100 to go until we're likely all sorted out haha.

Ok my necro is slowly taking shape. It is Human Cleric 3|| Druid 3 with Deathbound and Death Domains, Deathbound increases the number of undead created by spells to 3 times my Cleric level instead of 2 and I took a Corpsecrafter feat which makes my undead stronger and I took Spontaneous Summoner feat too so I'll be summoning undead with that. So the Cleric part is settled at least for the start.

But that leaves the Druid part which would fit the bill, he has his own Spontaneous Summon plus Animal Companion is there a way or the book that flavors that a bit more necro? Can he have an undead Animal Companion? Place an undead template on top of his Wolf and summon Undead Nature Ally animals, like a skeleton or zombie wolves, bears, and rats. I never really made an Evil necro Druid before in 3.5. I did dabble in PF because they have some options with it being like plague bearer, decay things etc. Do any of you Mods have any input? Would making his Wold undead throw things out of whack mechanically speaking? It wouldn't for him since as the evil Cleric he could heal it with negative energy. By the way, that combination kinda of shoehorned me into NE alignment, Cleric has to be Evil to cast those spells and Druid has to be neutral. There is some chart I found and literally only NE is left if I want to play necro||druid. Anyway any Mod that could give some opinion on it would be most welcome.

Neutral Clerics can rebuke undead/spontaneously inflict if you so choose. They don't have to be evil. So you could be Any Neutral or NE.

18 minutes ago, Faeryl_ said:

Neutral Clerics can rebuke undead/spontaneously inflict if you so choose. They don't have to be evil. So you could be Any Neutral or NE.

Yeah but other spells are distinctly evil, 3.5 is veeery strict when it comes to necromancy. Summon Undead, evil, Infect someone with a cyst, evil, burst the cyst...well ok that one rightfully belongs in evil but still 😆. And cleric is where most of the necromancy spells lie, druid jumps in at 4th lvl spells.

This is true, but I don't think RFT enforces alignments that strictly. Yes, you definitely need to uphold your paladin code and definitely can't teach Druidic to non-druids, but I don't think anyone is going to make you change your character's alignment. (Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.)

2 minutes ago, Faeryl_ said:

This is true, but I don't think RFT enforces alignments that strictly. Yes, you definitely need to uphold your paladin code and definitely can't teach Druidic to non-druids, but I don't think anyone is going to make you change your character's alignment. (Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'd say it depends. If your Lawful Good character starts burning down orphanages for the lolz, then yeah, I would probably say your character is no longer Lawful or Good, unless they do some serious repenting (such as through the atonement spell). I'd at least strongly recommend a change in alignment at that point, especially if it becomes a pattern of willing behavior.

57 minutes ago, Grudge said:

Ok my necro is slowly taking shape… Anyway any Mod that could give some opinion on it would be most welcome.

We’re working on summoning now. Give it a week, please.

Neutral Evil is a perfectly fine alignment.
Does having a skeletal wolf -do- anything? If the skeletal wolf stats are the same as a regular wolf, then it doesn’t matter.

@Grudge Blighter isn't a bad undead themed class. Undead wild shape, new spell casting progression, but nothing about a different type of summoning. It does require you to burn down a forest constantly but.. maybe there's a way to get around that or not enforced?

3 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

We’re working on summoning now. Give it a week, please.

Neutral Evil is a perfectly fine alignment.
Does having a skeletal wolf -do- anything? If the skeletal wolf stats are the same as a regular wolf, then it doesn’t matter.

Well, there is a fact it's undead, whether he's a zombie or skeleton Wolf. Even if nothing else is touched being undead brings its own ups and downs. If it's just a reskin I wouldn't ask. For example, it wouldn't have to care about crits anymore so plus, only me and other negative channelers could heal it and if he's in the vicinity when parties Clerics shoots Chanell it might damage it so minus. There are undead immunities so plus, there are undead weaknesses so minus. It wouldn't be the same animal for sure. The question is would it be comparable as CR goes, I should look up online or make one and paste it here with my other, very much alive, wolf of the same lvl and you could judge could be swapped. I hoped there is some list of undead companions and familiars from where I could choose, maybe there is but I should look better. However bottom line answer is no, it wouldn't be the same beast, better or worse I don't know.

2 minutes ago, Dnd4life said:

@Grudge Blighter isn't a bad undead themed class. Undead wild shape, new spell casting progression, but nothing about a different type of summoning. It does require you to burn down a forest constantly but.. maybe there's a way to get around that or not enforced?

I didn't know there is 3.5 version. Would you happen to have a link on the hand? As for different type of summoning that's on the Cleric side.

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, Grudge said:

Well, there is a fact it's undead….

So you DO want it to have undead traits and all the rest. Got it. This conversation has started on the mod thread, and is ongoing.