Questions

Blue Jay

Pixie Class - Is in the approved section, does that extend to the Noble advance type class below it?

They also say they cannot gain a familiar and cannot use necromancy spells. I would.. "assume" that it applies to the other side of a gestalt? So if I did Pixie / Wizard I still would not gain a familiar or even if I took the the Obtain Familiar feat. Or since it's the other side and not of the Pixie itself, would I be able to? This kind of related to the rework of Sarah as she's Dread Necro / Pixie so.. if 'technically' I can't use Necromancy spells I'm kinda hooped. Not to mention, I didn't really pay attention back then and see that DN Lich doesn't work on Pixies... Hence the request about remaking half of the gestalt.

Edited by Dnd4life (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Use the other pixie class?

Yes, it's on the list of allowed Oslecamo monster classes in the Rulings/House Rules - Monster Characters. That pixie is on that list as well :)
They added a second house rule regarding the pixie sleep and sleep burst arrows.

The ability scores are generally really toned down compared to the original official monsters, but they sometimes add other abilities to the changes.

That's why I asked earlier to confirm if the Monster Blooded/Monster Hybrid feat were allowed, since it's not currently on the list.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

It more.. Using the other (D&D SRD) pixie would still require a rebuild of the character as the character in question is level 7. BlueJay had just advised there was no full retraining method yet that was approved and suggested I just use the PHB2 retraining but that's for feats and minor things.. Not a whole side of the gestalt. I was just looking easiest way to make sure I didn't miss anything since it's from eight years ago and there's been a lot of changes with things. I don't think there's any higher level missions open at the moment so I'm not too worried, but just wanted to get it all settled.

7 minutes ago, Dnd4life said:

It more.. Using the other (D&D SRD) pixie would still require a rebuild of the character as the character in question is level 7. BlueJay had just advised there was no full retraining method yet that was approved and suggested I just use the PHB2 retraining but that's for feats and minor things.. Not a whole side of the gestalt. I was just looking easiest way to make sure I didn't miss anything since it's from eight years ago and there's been a lot of changes with things. I don't think there's any higher level missions open at the moment so I'm not too worried, but just wanted to get it all settled.

BUT Could trading out a Pixie LA level for an Oslecamo Pixie level be considered Substitution Level?
Substitution level Trade a class level for a substitution level, you just have to pay to retrain all of the SRD LA Levels for Oslecamo Monster Levels in one go?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dnd4life said:

Pixie Class - Is in the approved section, does that extend to the Noble advance type class below it?

They also say they cannot gain a familiar and cannot use necromancy spells. I would.. "assume" that it applies to the other side of a gestalt? So if I did Pixie / Wizard I still would not gain a familiar or even if I took the the Obtain Familiar feat. Or since it's the other side and not of the Pixie itself, would I be able to? This kind of related to the rework of Sarah as she's Dread Necro / Pixie so.. if 'technically' I can't use Necromancy spells I'm kinda hooped. Not to mention, I didn't really pay attention back then and see that DN Lich doesn't work on Pixies... Hence the request about remaking half of the gestalt.

I don't understand a lot of Oslecamo's decision-making on things like this. He seemed to do a lot of unorthodox adjustments to things as a way to fine-tune the balance, but his sense of balance was very weirdly calibrated, so it all just feels like a confusing mess to me.

For example, decoupling the pixie's spellcasting progression and her caster level; and making necromancy a prohibited class for sorcerer casting.

Necromancy would only count as prohibited for your sorcerer casting, not for any other casting progression you have.

I also don't get the rationale behind barring you from having a familiar, so I'd probably waive this too.

2 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

BUT Could trading out a Pixie LA level for an Oslecamo Pixie level be considered Substitution Level?
Substitution level Trade a class level for a substitution level, you just have to pay to retrain all of the SRD LA Levels for Oslecamo Monster Levels in one go?

No, don't do that.

But, there actually is an official Rebuilding section in PHB2, right after the Retraining section. I don't think we've technically approved that, but in those rules, you can rebuild 1/5th of your class levels or completely rebuild your race (replacing all your racial HD and LA with class levels). I'm supposed to make you do a special "Rebuild Quest" for it, but...

You know what? I kind of think allowing a one-time rebuild is pretty harmless, as long as you're not using it as an opportunity to just build a whole new character, and you aren't going to try to do it again after every mission or something like that.

Are the other mods okay if we just allow a one-time rebuild for an old character like this?

@Delia2531, @rogueblade0729, @Rudolf

Edited by Blue Jay (see edit history)

I’m ok with it IF we go through the character application process. We’ll of course eventually approve the character, but this gives us a familiar process and multiple eyes to male sure we’ve done a nice job with the conversion.

I have a dumb question. Do we have to take gestalt classes if we don't want to? I'm struggling to figure out a gestalt class for Aithne to be honest. I realize that cleric is top tier and I don't know what other class to take with her.

4 minutes ago, Divinedragonslayer said:

I have a dumb question. Do we have to take gestalt classes if we don't want to? I'm struggling to figure out a gestalt class for Aithne to be honest. I realize that cleric is top tier and I don't know what other class to take with her.

I suppose you don't have to, but even starting with Cleric you may find your PC under-powered in a gestalt party.

You could simply pick something with a good reflex save to fill the gap, or a larger HD?

39 minutes ago, Divinedragonslayer said:

They also approved the Book of Exalted Deeds Saint Template as an LA +3 template if you take it for your first 3 levels, instead of meeting the requirements.

3 hours ago, Divinedragonslayer said:

Ranger or bard would work well. Get some skill points, a usual weak spot of clerics.

3 hours ago, Grudge said:

Said mildly I think I have 4 skill points or 16 at lvl 1 as the upper limit.

I now the feeling. My Paladin Warlock with 12 skill points at level 3

@Blue Jay I wanted to toss this out there for those skill hungry individuals.
Since Improved Toughness counts as Toughness, where you get bonus HP per level.

On 9/23/2023 at 11:39 PM, Blue Jay said:

Feats

Specific Feats

Improved Toughness

Counts as Toughness for prereqs.

Would you consider doing the same for Open Minded

3.5 Version
Open Minded [General]You are naturally able to reroute your memory, mind, and skill expertise.
Benefit

You immediately gain an extra 5 skill points. You spend these skill points as normal. If you spend them on a cross-class skills they count as ½ ranks. You cannot exceed the normal maximum ranks for your level in any skill.
Special

You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time, you immediately gain another 5 skill points.

Vs. Dreamscarred Press PF Version

Open MindedYou are naturally able to reroute your memory, mind, and skill expertise.

Benefit: You gain 1 skill point for every Hit Die you possess. You gain 1 skill point whenever you gain a Hit Die (such as when you gain a level). You spend these skill points as normal. You cannot exceed the normal maximum point for your level in any skill.

Edited by Steel Warrior (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Divinedragonslayer said:

I wouldn't think you would have to if you don't really want to, but it is fun to do so! What kind of concept are you trying for? Maybe one of us can help you give you an idea what to pair it with.

4 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

I now the feeling. My Paladin Warlock with 12 skill points at level 3

@Blue Jay I wanted to toss this out there for those skill hungry individuals.
Since Improved Toughness counts as Toughness, where you get bonus HP per level.

Would you consider doing the same for Open Minded

3.5 Version
Open Minded [General]You are naturally able to reroute your memory, mind, and skill expertise.
Benefit

You immediately gain an extra 5 skill points. You spend these skill points as normal. If you spend them on a cross-class skills they count as ½ ranks. You cannot exceed the normal maximum ranks for your level in any skill.
Special

You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time, you immediately gain another 5 skill points.

Vs. Dreamscarred Press PF Version

Open Minded

No, when PF and 3.5e have different versions of the same feat, use the 3.5e version.