Sheet Folders in Testing ×

How do I…?

Colin

Dice Question: I'm in a Deathwatch game and sometimes you have to know what degrees of success (or failure) you get, and i'm not sure how to go about that. I'm pretty new to the whole system too so thats not making it any easier

Example 1;
You have a skill of 65
You roll 32 on the test
This is four degrees of success (At every 10, so 35, 45, 55, 65)

So basically is there a dice string that would allow me to roll and count the differences between the result and a static number, but it would have to be able to count successes in iterations of 10 and i'm not sure if its at all set up to do that.

Oh wow, I didn't think the math functions that were inherent to the dice roller were going to get much play.

First, find the difference between the roll and the skill:

(SKILL-ROLL) => (65-32) = 33

Then, we need to divide that by 10 to get a decimal number that corresponds to the number of increments of 10 in the difference:

(SKILL-ROLL)/10 => (65-32)/10 = 3.3

Then, we can use the ceiling function (ceil) to round that result up to the next integer, since that would be the number of times that the multiple-of-10 threshold has been exceeded.

ceil((SKILL-ROLL)/10) => ceil((65-32)/10) = 4

Replace ROLL and SKILL as appropriate.

Here's what it looks like in the actual roller:

image.png.0d51a30b5e7666edba94e649e6df4890.png

I didn't even think that the dice roller could do math, thats pretty impressive really helpful if you have a bunch of rolls that you have to sort all at once.

I don't suppose you can add it to a dice string?

From what i understand you can do the success thing [roll:success(1d100,65,below,no,no)] but the trick is finding out a way for the dice itself to count how many steps there are between the rolled number and the target.

For example i could do that string and get a 7, and it will show 1 success. But the successes between 7 and 65 are 6 (10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60).

I guess you would need a 'difference between' option. So you could roll 1d100, target 65, difference (at steps of 10) between (roll) and (target)  = Success #

I don't think it can do this, at least my kung fu isn't strong enough to find it. Its not top top priority because i can always just roll 1d100 and do the math myself but if i don't HAVE to do math.....

Edited by Neopopulas (see edit history)

On 4/28/2023 at 10:35 AM, yxanthymir said:

Is it possible to disregard a result from a dice roll? If the result was one, omit that result from the addition and reveal that a one was rolled.

No answer. So I think I should clarify the context. Cortex Prime disregard the number one result from a die roll. They simply are not computed in the current roll, and return to the player's hand as bonus die for other rolls. Normally you roll 2 to 5 dice from different sizes to get a result from a test.

So it is possible to do that? If so, how?

52 minutes ago, Llyarden said:

Is that not what Eric posted?  Like, if you just substitute ROLL with a dice string, does it not just kinda...work?  Like, ceil((65-1d100)/10)?

Oh okay i misunderstood. I was trying to put the 'ceil' at the end of a dice string. I didn't realise you could just do a 1d100, i thought you had to have a roll number and a target number (35 and 65 in the original example). So yeah just doing Ceil((65-1d100)/10) does seem to work.

5 hours ago, yxanthymir said:

No answer. So I think I should clarify the context. Cortex Prime disregard the number one result from a die roll. They simply are not computed in the current roll, and return to the player's hand as bonus die for other rolls. Normally you roll 2 to 5 dice from different sizes to get a result from a test.

So it is possible to do that? If so, how?

Sorry I missed your previous post, and thanks for the additional context. I don't think there would be a convenient way to get both the total result and the number of ones at the same time, as things currently stand. However, please put this feature request in a new thread in Site Feedback, including as much detail as possible, and we'll definitely take it on.

I'm not currently a DM in any forums that have players so i can't reliably test this. Is there a way to sort of.. transfer ownership of a thread - or even just a post - to someone else?

Example: I'm the DM and i've set up a bunch of character sheets, maybe they have some secret stuff maybe not, but basically i created the thread and the post and now i want someone else to be able to edit those posts - so they can continue to update their character and so on - is there any way to do that?

And if not.. Can there be?

Currently they would just need to "clone" your post and save it so it would be posted from them. So they could edit it. You could always then delete your originals.

Besides giving full GM access users can not edit other users post..

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Starhawk said:

I pasted over an application by not using clone correctly. Is there a way to get the original post back?

Was the original post saved? If so, provide the link and we should be able to recover it.