Questions

Blue Jay

13 hours ago, Barrigan said:

You can't advance the same spellcasting progression more than once per level, e.g. Wizard // Loremaster, but if you have a prestige class which advances spellcasting only every second level, can you use the other side of the gestalt to keep advancing it on the levels when your prestige class doesn't?

Yes. As long as the combination is otherwise legal.

Edited by HydroGuy (see edit history)

It seems to me that with all the "Ubermount" shenanigans I find for normal games, something like the Devoted Tracker feat might get out of hand in a gestalt setting like this, especially if something like Halfling Outrider advances both progressions simultaneously.

Should we assume that any class that RAW progresses two pets at the same time is treated the same as a class that advances two spellcasting levels? I.E. Either it takes up both sides of the gestalt, or the player chooses one pet to progress and ignores the other.

Or... has there been some experience with this here already, and I'm just overestimating the power level?

I would assume it is still limited by the normal ECL cap. Paladin6/Halfling Outrider4/Ranger 10 with Devoted Tracker is still limited to animal companion effective druid level of 9 7(Ranger gives 5, Outrider gives 4 2) and an effective Paladin level of 10 for the special mount part, 6 from paladin and 4 from Outrider. Or, given the language of the Outrider's Mount class ability "Halfling outrider class levels stack with paladin, druid, and ranger levels for determining the characteristics of a paladin's mount or an animal companion." emphasis mine, you might have to chose one or the other. I would argue for them stacking because neither paladin or ranger are particularly powerful classes, and the ranger already has a pretty bad animal companion that is limited to at most an effective druid level of 13 without prestige classes, and with a feat tax for natural bond.

Edit: Speaking of mounts, I had the other day of a Tiny sized Artificer using an Iron Defender as a mount, anyone have any ideas for that to work, and for a Tiny race that isn't super cheesy or high LA?

Edited by DragonFriend (see edit history)

Most races smaller than small get pretty weird, simply out of necessity to function. The biggest concern is that they can usually fly as well, again out of necessity, so a mount and the associated feats to make them useful start losing a lot of value. Of course, flavor has it's own value, so YMMV.

That said, a small race with some way to get long term or permanent size change might be easier to achieve. The Compression psionic ability can get you 30 minutes at a time via a Dojes for fairly reasonable price. Cast > Mount up > Fight > Dismount.

Or maybe something with an Alternate Form that you can choose a smaller version.

Edited by HydroGuy (see edit history)

Couple of questions for a new player. Sorry if already answered prior but after reviewing 50+ pages of OCC thread didn't see these addressed.

Game Structure and Rules Clarification

1. Is the set up of this just a mission based one shot? Or is there ongoing campaigns? Sorry but really not sure how to approach this regarding making characters.

2. How invested does a character backstory need to be for this? Ties into question #1.

3. Are sub-systems for 3.5 being allowed for this game? This is including to such things like Incantations (Unearthed Arcana), Rune Magic (Magic of Faerun), etc.? More asking in general.

Class Related Clarifications

1. If classes have adaptions, are these considered to be allowed? Or is it ask on a case-by-case basis? For example, in Tome of Battle the Swordsage has information about casting arcane spells in place of maneuvers of equivalent level. Likewise, in Tome of Magic the Anima Mage class has adaptations to allow level progression for divine casters instead of arcane caster classes.

Racial Related Clarifications

1. Since Oslecamo materials are being used, does that mean feats created for the race are able to be taken? Or is this a case by case basis? For example, there is an Oslecamo write up for the Dvanti where two racial feats (Two as One, Together through Space) were created. Since the Dvanti is on the approve list can those feats be choices for consideration?

Source Related Clarifications

1. Given how the rules for treasure/gear are done, how would this react to alternative sources for equipment like Legacy items?

2. I noticed that Pathfinder feats were allowed so is there any general guidelines on things to avoid? Or is this also a case-by-case scenario?

Edited by Master_Enceladus (see edit history)

Homunculi can be improved with the Improved Homunculus feat, so at Artificer level 5 I could give it an Flight Speed of 20 (Good), and then at Artificer level 8 I could increase that to 40ft (Perfect), and then at Artificer level 11 I could increase that to 60ft, and I could craft a perpetual wand or purchase a couple minor schemas of Cloud Wings which is a level 2 druid spell that gives an untyped +30 flight speed bonus for 1 hour/caster level. 

A basic concept I've had for years is playing a Paladin of Mechanus with mechanical wings. I got the idea from playing the Pathfinder Kingmaker CRPG, I thought using a winged iron defender could be a way to use that basic character concept in 3.5. 

11 minutes ago, Master_Enceladus said:

1. Is the set up of this just a mission based one shot? Or is there ongoing campaigns? Sorry but really not sure how to approach this regarding making characters.

I wouldn't say one shot, I would say episodic. Most DMs here run games in their own little setting or a specific setting with an overarching storyline told over multiple missions, using the RFT as a backdrop for their story.

12 minutes ago, Master_Enceladus said:

1. Since Oslecamo materials are being used, does that mean feats created for the race are able to be taken? Or is this a case by case basis? For example, there is an Oslecamo write up for the Dvanti where two racial feats (Two as One, Together through Space) were created. Since the Dvanti is on the approve list can those feats be choices for consideration?

Case by case basis, and cheese is strongly discouraged by the current GMs.

13 minutes ago, Master_Enceladus said:

2. I noticed that Pathfinder feats were allowed so is there any general guidelines on things to avoid? Or is this also a case-by-case scenario?

Only Pathfinder feats from the Pathfinder SRD, and also a case by case basis.

12 minutes ago, Master_Enceladus said:

Couple of questions for a new player. Sorry if already answered prior but after reviewing 50+ pages of OCC thread didn't see these addressed.

2. How invested does a character backstory need to be for this? Ties into question #1.

3. Are sub-systems for 3.5 being allowed for this game? This is including to such things like Incantations (Unearthed Arcana), Rune Magic (Magic of Faerun), etc.? More asking in general.

1. If classes have adaptions, are these considered to be allowed? Or is it ask on a case-by-case basis? For example, in Tome of Battle the Swordsage has information about casting arcane spells in place of maneuvers of equivalent level. Likewise, in Tome of Magic the Anima Mage class has adaptations to allow level progression for divine casters instead of arcane caster classes.

1. Given how the rules for treasure/gear are done, how would this react to alternative sources for equipment like Legacy items?

In reverse order:

Pathfinder feats are on a case by case basis only, and the default answer is 'no' 😀

Legacy Weapons - from what I can see in the Weapons of Legacy publication each item has a non-legacy value; it seems reasonable that this is the cost of the item.

... (ninja'd by Rogueblade)

Backstory (and description etc) - enough that we can get a feel for the character, but it doesn't need to be a saga written over three rolls of papyrus. 😀

31 minutes ago, Master_Enceladus said:

1.2 Background can be as simple or involved as you like, but it should be enough to lay out the basic personality and or motivation of your character, in the event a DM wants to get an idea of "who you are" before selecting you for a mission.

1.3 These are hit or miss, but by my interpretation generally avoided. For instance Action Points and Taint/Depravity are out, but Commander Ratings are in. If you really want something specific and can't find whether it has already been addressed, it doesn't hurt to ask.

2.1 Similar to 1.3, but with higher tendency to be allowed. For instance the Unarmed variant of the Swordsage in the sidebar of the book has been approved, but I don't think I've seen any mention of the spellcasting version. The book is pretty vague on that so I would imagine it's a bit too homebrewy, but again you would need to figure out exactly what you want and request it

@Master_Enceladus The mods have put in a herculean effort since the switch to Baldr, but it's possible some rules/rulings still haven't made the transition. You can try poking around on the OG site a bit too to see if that clarifies anything for you. I've added some links below:

https://og.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33832&tg=64301

https://og.myth-weavers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33832&tg=83705

To @Master_Enceladus, I want to say welcome to the tavern! I recommend pulling up a chair, ordering a pint and staying a while! The stories are something else, but the people are some of the best this side of the multiverse! As for your many questions, a few have been answered by others as you can see. For the others, let me see if I can put a spin on it a little or add in some extra information.

For question 1 and 2, its all of the above! Sometimes you'll come across a few one-shots with nothing to do with others. Occasionally, you'll see some long running and multi-episodic missions posted. It really depends. If you you feel spunky enough and want to, you could even host your own missions. There is a system in place for that also! As for your character or characters, yes you can have multiple here it's actually encouraged, you can write as much or as little as you want. We just want to know a little about them that's all. We all came from some where and when.

For question 3, its I want to say case-by-case, but for the most part I have seen it's no. But, it's not a hard no. I think it has to do with which sub system is being asked for. When in doubt, ask! Say, "Hey! I have this character idea that uses (insert sub-system here), any issues with me using it?" And you'll get a mod or two to speak up and give their opinion and say yay or nay. There have been a few sub-systems that have been told no to already (i.e.: ability points, Taint) while a few others have been given the go-ahead (i.e: leadership and commander ratings, weapon groups). All of this can be found in the Rules of the RFT tab. It does contain a lot of information, so take your time.

For races, I do want to reiterate that while oslecamo's improved monsters are allowed, it is on a case-by-case basis, and do expect changes if the race is too out there. There is a list of already approved races in the rules tab if you do not want to risk the whole approval process for one of his races.

I know some of this has been taken care of already by the fine people above me, but it never hurts. If you have more specific questions, you have plenty of people willing to help and would love to help make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Just watch out for that side table over yonder, their bones are rigged and they cheat at cards every chance they get.

I am curious if anyone has read the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey? If so do you remember the bodyguard character that was pretty much a blend of a monk and fighter. I have always liked the concept and gestalt is probably the best way to build it. Any thoughts on the best build for it?

47 minutes ago, darlis moonbeam said:

I am curious if anyone has read the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey? If so do you remember the bodyguard character that was pretty much a blend of a monk and fighter. I have always liked the concept and gestalt is probably the best way to build it. Any thoughts on the best build for it?

I tried the concept but I made a mistake and went for Str fighter which left me stat-starved and that really influenced my damage output. But since then I'm sure that Dex Fighter would work pretty well, maybe even dabble in Zen Archery so you can dump more points in Wis. I never really got to make it, but I saw a guy that went just Zen Archer route and he was beast at lvl 4, mixing it with fighter could be just improvement.

P.S.

Also if you want a different flavor you could go Rudolf route, but as with everything with maneuvers, there would be more micromanaging and searching for the right synergies. Without getting into what's better your idea is certainly more straightforward, while Swordsage would open some interesting avenues no matter which class you exchange it.

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

In the books they wore vambraces over each wrist and a long sword strapped to their back. They mostly fought with unarmed attacks and only ever drew the sword if they meant to kill which was always considered last resort. They were always hired out as personal bodyguards.