OOC Conversations

Maester1216

8 minutes ago, Eagleheart said:

Jin should probably be Engineer or Science Officer.

I was rather thinking that myself.

12 minutes ago, darlis moonbeam said:

Also would we work out roles here or somewhere else? I am guessing Akari is likely to be the pilot. He has 4 more pts in Piloting than the next highest one.

I agree with you.

Edited by artsmythe (see edit history)

By all means. This group is pretty well-rounded overall, so we have some room to work with there, especially with regards to the Pilot position.

In that regard you’ll want to establish a watch schedule for the ship. With six PC’s everyone could do a 4-hour watch on the bridge every 24-hours.

I could see the following breakdown:

Darwyn as Captain

Jin as Chief Engineer

Akari as Pilot

Duncan as Security Officer

Raenala as Science Officer

Davir as Cargomaster

Thoughts???

Also we all have Discord? I have found it useful in other games to help coordinate.

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)

I have Discord, but prefer not to use it. It just seems too obtrusive. However, if necessary, I will use it.

Changing the subject, I was wondering if my character knows any of your characters prior to our assignment on the freighter -- possibly Davir and/or Rensaela. The former because he, too, was a smuggler; the latter because of her vids or lineage.

As for Duncan, Jim and Akari, Darwyn might have bumped into them here and there, but he wouldn't know much about them until they were assigned together. After all, Darwyn is on the run and in disguise.

Second the thought for passing on discord I find posts in forums tend to be more complete and decisive(?) in a way? I love discord otherwise but I think PbP is good specifically since there's no instant communication.

Role wise, I'm fine with whatever makes sense, we're all competent characters. Not sure what security officers and cargo masters are, are those narrative or mechanical ship roles since I can't find rules for those anywhere?

Edited by Zaathun (see edit history)

I am super happy to have been chosen. In regards to the above;

12 hours ago, darlis moonbeam said:

Darwyn as Captain

Jin as Chief Engineer

Akari as Pilot

Davir as Cargomaster

I agree with this. As for prior connections, Duncan was basically homeless and squatting before finding his way here. People could recognize him from his previous life as an athlete.

3 hours ago, Zaathun said:

Role wise, I'm fine with whatever makes sense, we're all competent characters. Not sure what security officers and cargo masters are, are those narrative or mechanical ship roles since I can't find rules for those anywhere?

Don't know that they are actual roles in starfinder, more just roles I have seen in space themed media.

1 hour ago, darlis moonbeam said:

Don't know that they are actual roles in starfinder, more just roles I have seen in space themed media.

Oh!

There's the captain, science officer and pilot roles, as well as engineer in the rules for space combat, that's why I was confused as to the other two as I've not seen any rules for those!

Description wise, cargomaster sounds great, someone's gotta be the working stiff - literally!

So security officer would probably be gunner and cargomaster could be the chief mate as from my understanding the chief mate deals with a lot of the logistical concerns of the ship which is sort of what I picture the cargomaster doing.

As for the discord, I have just found it to be useful if folks are online to coordinate on post in a real time format which is one of the downsides to PbP in that you post something and then wait for a response that's really just a quick question and then move on. It's just sometimes a time saver I have found. Not to actually use it for in game posting or anything.

Edited by darlis moonbeam (see edit history)

19 hours ago, darlis moonbeam said:

I could see the following breakdown:

Darwyn as Captain

Jin as Chief Engineer

Akari as Pilot

Davir as Cargomaster

Thoughts???

Also we all have Discord? I have found it useful in other games to help coordinate.

For Raenala her worst (good) role would be Science Officer. She's an Envoy so she gets big bonus on her social skills, like the expertise roll on Bluff. Which I think might help Captain actions, it's been a while since I looked. We're all fairly charismatic tho, so I think we're all pretty good shoe in's for it. If no one else has a decent INT of +3 or higher, then Raenala could do Science Officer fine.

While I will defer to the GM and the majority of the group, I vote no on Discord.

That having been said, let me add something more about starship combat roles.

• Captain -- Tend to use the Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate skills.

• Chief Mate -- Tend to use the Acrobatics or Athletics skill.

• Engineer -- Tend to use the Engineering skill.

• Gunner -- I'm a little fuzzy on this one. You shoot starship weapons, but I don't know if just anybody can do this or you need a specific Proficiency. Probably needs a decent Ranged Attack.

• Science Officer -- Tend to use the Computers skill.

• Pilot -- Tend to use the Piloting skill.